3 Days..

Painting With Words

 

There were screams all around me  as I saw Sulli fall to the ground with a knife stuck deep between her eyes. Blood gushing out of her wounds. She lays there cold and lifeless and her face forever froze in a state of confusion. All of my classmates ran to the other side of the room, scared to even look at the one who killed the poor unsuspecting girl, our own class teacher.

Everything was just fine this morning. Our class was chosen out of the sea of classes in school to go to a field trip. We were so excited to know this. I've been preparing for this trip all week long. Of course, there's the weird part where we weren't told exactly where we're going to. For us, getting out of classes is like living the dream so we didn't care.

We were all so happy on the bus. Playing, singing, chatting... The situation was a wreck but that's what 16 year olds do, right? Enjoying life and not caring about a single thing. I was chatting away with HyunA who keeps talking about the school's hottie, Lee Joon. I remember her bright expression as she switch from topics to topics. She never seem to dry up of topics to talk about. From the school's hottie to her future plans. I smiled  when she talked about her life after school and the family of 6 that she's going to have. It's all so different now...

Halfway into the field trip, all of us went to sleep including me. I was never one for sleeping in car rides. Not even if it is 6 hour long. I love enjoying the various scenery in front of me and sketching them in my notebook. But I don't know why, at that time I felt so sleepy and dozed off. The next thing I know, I woke up being in a strange, grey room with an electric collar surrounding my neck. All of us did.

Then, our homeroom teacher came in with a group of uniformed men trailing him from behind. He had a nonchalant expression smeared on his face. He's not really our homeroom teacher. I mean, he was last year but we treated him badly. One time, the whole class decided to skip for the day and I followed suit. The boys were the one who planned this prank. They informed all of us the night before except for one person. Min. The girls hated her because she was a teacher's pet. She's a sweet girl really but I can't bring myself to like her,. Sure enough, the next day, she was the only one who showed up.

HyunA is grasping my hands really tight now. She has never been a strong-spirited person. Whenever we watch scary movies, she would be the first one to falter and make up an excuse to get out of there. I myself am a bit confused now. Sulli didn't do anything wrong. She was just talking to Krystal when the teacher was explaining something. I didn't hear it quite clearly what he was saying as I'm still trying to get over the fear that has been secluding my head.

Krystal didn't even get to respond to her when the knife came flying towards Sulli. It's a good thing she didn't or she would have accepted the same fate as her friend. After that, I erased everything from my head and began to really concentrate on what the teacher was explaining to the whole class.

He was explaining the purpose we were gathered here today. There was never really a field trip. Even if there was, it was a trip to our own demise. We were supposed to play a game with all of our 42, now 41, classmates. The game is called 'Battle Royale'. It is created by the government to control the amount of Korea's population that has been sky-rocketing lately.

We were supposed to kill each other off until one man stands within 3 days. If there is more than one person who lives at the end of the given period, the collar that's securing itself tightly around our necks will detonate and it would be lethal to all of us. Then, Jonghyun went into a flying rampage and start chucking whatever things he can find flying across the room. The soldiers start to move in to control the situation and captured him. He was still seething in anger when the teacher slowly approached him. He has a tiny remote in his hand.

The teacher recognized him immediately. Of course he would. Jonghyun was the mastermind behind the prank last year. He always had a thing for rebellion but it is always calmed down by his best friend, Key. I looked at Key who is still trembling over what fate would befall on his friend. He wanted to be beside him but the soldiers hold him back. The teacher smirked to Jonghyun's face.

Then the teacher shouted to us that he'll show what the collar can do. He pressed the button on his small remote and a red blinking light appeared on the electric collar, beeping. The soldiers released Jonghyun and he began to panic. He went to one by one of his classmates who just keep their distance from him until Key gets a hold of him. The red light started beeping like mad and then blood splattered from his neck all over Key's clothes and face. He hugged the warm corpse to him, crying as hard as he can. The room went wild again. 40...

HyunA is crying really hard now. I am trying to jerk back a tear from escaping my eyes. Jonghyun and Key are one of the closest person to us. The teacher regained his composure and the students began to pay attention even more. He explained the game even further. We were given satchels filled with the things we may need in the wild for the next three days. Bread, bottles of water and a weapon that varies within each bag. This is to help us kill our classmates. The weapons you get depends on your luck. If your luck is good than you'll get a powerful weapon and vice versa.

HyunA is now sobbing as we wait for our names to be called. My heart trembles as time went by. When we met our turn, the soldiers throw the satchels at our direction. I catch both of them and gives one to HyunA. I grab her hand and ran out of the dark room to an even darker and more sinister outdoors. Time to face my fate.

It was dawn when I finally found a decent place. It was a hut complete with a toilet, a kitchen and a bedroom. We were lucky not to meet any of our vicious classmates on the way here. But not before we stumble upon a few dead bodies. Some of them we knew and some were unidentified over the wounds that replaced their perfect features. It has already begun. The sight of the mangled body still lingers at the back of my head.

HyunA has turned mute ever since we got here. She is now sitting on the bed, her knees close to her chest, staring hard into space. I began to check the place for electricity and water supply. There's no power but the water is still running smoothly. It would be dark by twilight but I spotted a flashlight and a box of matches earlier so that won't be a problem.

My stomach began to rumble as I realize I haven't eaten anything since yesterday. I searched the place again for something edible. There's nothing except  a carton of expired milk and a bag of bruised apples. This will do for now. I throw away the milk and wash the apples. I cut off the bruised parts, secretly hoping there won't be any worms wriggling out of it. I put it on a plate and gave some to HyunA.

The apples disappeared in a blink of an eye. Unsatisfied, I delve inside the given satchels for another quick bite. I searched mine and found 3 loaves of bread and 3 bottles of mineral water. I found a rifle, an M16 to be exact, in mine. Then I search through HyunA's and found the same number of supplies except she's got a butcher knife. I gathered the supplies from both bag and did an inventory. There are 6 loaves of bread and 6 bottles of mineral water along with the deadly weapons I do not dare touch. This would do us fine for the next three days of our lives.

Just then, I heard someone knocking at the door. I hesitated whether to open it or not. After much contemplating, I decided to open it. My heart beats as fast as a train speeding on its railway as I approach the door even closer. I let out a sigh of relief as I see who was at the door. It was Krystal. Her eyes are red and puffy. I offered her to come in since we have never been on bad terms with each other. I mean, the girl is still mourning her best friend's death.

She took a seat near the entrance. I offered her some of the leftover apples I managed to store before scarfing down on them. I figured she was hungry as she came here empty-handed. She didn't talk much and ate the apples quietly. I excused myself to attend to HyunA. She nodded and smiled weakly at me. I went to see if HyunA has ended her mute phase.

She is still there. In her own world. Still staring hard into space. Still not talking to me. I intend to take her out of there. If we were to end our life in the next 3 days, I want us to be in good terms. As I sit in front of her, Krystal appeared at the door of the bedroom. She leans against the wall and smirked arrogantly at us. I'm starting to feel like something bad is going to happen.

I was right.

What she did next was totally uncalled for. She pointed a rifle at our direction. The rifle looks familiar.... It is mine! I know I should have kept it somewhere safe instead of letting it lay around. It's a good thing she didn't have the knife as I hid it. Before I can do anything else, she fires the gun and it hid HyunA right on her heart. She falls to the bed, dead, and draws her last breath.

Krystal aimed the rifle towards me. Guess I'm her next target. I was quicker though. I took out the knife I've been hiding in my back pocket ans throw it at her direction. As soon as she saw this, her eyes widened and she released the gunfire. I didn't have much time to avoid the bullet so it hit me right on my arm. I screamed, writhing in pain. The pain is excruciating.

I looked back to see what happen to the damned girl. As I saw her, I let out a sigh of relief. The girl who was seconds ago smirking arrogantly is now laying on the floor, cold and lifeless. The knife I threw hit her right on the head. Unable to control my wavering emotions, I kick her dead body over and over again. That's what you get for killing my best friend. Tears that I've been trying so hard to held back ever since the start of this game flowed like river.

Realizing the throbbing pain in my arm, I stop what I did and ripped the sleeve off of my uniform. I tie the piece of cloth around my wound tightly. It only takes a second for the whit cloth to turn red with blood. I ignored the pain and took the bloody knife out of Krystal. I grabbed the gun and stormed out of the hut with some supplies in my hand.

No need to dwell here any longer. Life is short and for me, I only have three days.

Three days to win this deadly game.

Three days to get off of this island. 

Three days to payback all the bad things the government had done to me and my classmates...

 

 

~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~

 

Author's Notes :

 

So, what do you think of this? This is entirely in Amber's POV. I did this in my essay before though not using the same characters. No need to know my score :P. This story is a spin off of the Japanese movie Battle Royale. I wanted to do a spin off of this spinoff but I have too many commitments to deal with so I couldn't. The sad thing is I already did the poster but I'm just too busy to do it and I'm worried that it would be count as plagiarism so I decided to cancel the idea. The poster is down below if you want to see it! Hope you enjoyed it and tell me what you think!

 

 

P/s : This was my first attempt at photoshop..