Chapter 9

Full Deck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as they reached the new venue, Dahlia made a beeline for Manfred. She told Luhan and Chanyeol that she was giving them space and time to speak with the others regarding her past – she didn’t want to have to repeat it any more than she had to. While that was true, she had another motive; she had to talk out what she had just discovered with her best friend.

“So, um, you know those twelve guys that I said were my friends?” She mumbled as she and Manfred sat on the couch in his trailer.

“Yeah,” he nodded, an eyebrow quirked. “What about them?”

She paused, blowing wisps of hair out of her eyes. “Well…three of them think I’m pretty.”

Manfred gave a loud laugh. “That’s it? Dude, I thought you were going to say they were criminals on the run forcing you to hide them, or something completely out there – like, they’re aliens or something.”

“They are aliens,” she muttered.

“What?” Manfred blinked. “Okay, I think you’re still a little sick because you’re clearly hallucinating.”

“I’m not; they actually are aliens,” Dahlia protested. “Like, with superpowers and everything! I mean, I’m a frickin’ psychometrist, and you’re having a hard time believing that aliens exist?”

“A little, yeah,” he nodded. “I mean, they look human. Wait, so are you freaking out because aliens are hitting on you?”

“I’m freaking out because I’m being hit on at all, alien or not,” she squealed. “I can barely handle my own emotions, and now I have twelve sets of emotions to deal with – three being confirmed to be somewhat romantic-ish. Plus, three of them – a different three; well, sort of, since one of them confessed in my mind that he thought I was pretty – can touch me without triggering a mental transfer so that means that they’re probably going to be supper cuddly and I don’t know if I can handle that! I mean, I still get weirded out when you hug me and you’re all geared up in your motorcycle stuff so there’s no skin to skin contact. But now I have to go back to them and their feelings and help them find their chosen one and then they’ll leave, but what if they don’t want to leave? What if I don’t want them to leave? I’m not used to feeling feelings but now I’m feeling and I don’t know how to deal!”

Manfred blinked rapidly, “Okay, you were talking really fast and I maybe caught a third of what you said. Something about cuddling and a chosen one, and my motorcycle gear?”

“I honestly don’t even know what I’m talking about anymore,” she sighed, leaning back so quickly the back of her head thunked against the hard wall of Manfred’s trailer.

“Well, let’s start from the beginning, shall we?” Manfred proposed. “So…they’re aliens. Still having trouble believing that one, but I’ve never met a person that can put one past you – and you’d be able to tell if they were having some kind of group delusion. Then, what, they just randomly showed up in their spaceship and attached themselves to you?”

“The truth is much less believable,” she grimaced. “Remember that weird customer that I told you about?”

“The one that overpaid you and gave you that defunct tarot deck?” He wondered.

Dahlia nodded. “Well…those guys were trapped in that deck. The evil thing that destroyed their planet put them in there to stop them from finding their planet’s tree of life that would help them rebuild their planet.”

“Okay – weird – but why did the crazy lady have it in the first place?”

“She’s apparently part of an organization on this planet that was created to help the guys find the tree of life.”

“Then why give the deck to you?”

“That necklace my dad gave me belonged to the chosen one that was meant to guide the guardians to their tree of life,” Dahlia explained. “Crazy lady saw the necklace on me and thought I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter