Chapter 11

Full Deck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day passed by normally enough, save for the ever present thought in the back of Dahlia’s mind regarding the potential escapades that would occur later on. Sure, the guardians had spent time on earth before being trapped in their cards, but she had no idea if they’d come into contact with alcohol during that time. After all, they were preoccupied with finding their tree, right?

Dahlia wasn’t sure of the answer, but either way it wasn’t shaping up to be good news. If the answer was yes – that they’d been too preoccupied with finding the chosen one and their tree – then they’d have no experience with alcohol and thus no tolerance. Perdus moonshine was pretty strong stuff even for an experienced drinker, which Dahlia wouldn’t assume any of the guardians were even if they did have the occasional drink before being trapped in the cards.

And then there was the option of warning them. If she didn’t, there was no doubt that they’d all get drunk out of their minds and cause who knows how much chaos. If she did, the more responsible of the guardians would surely steer clear or the powerful liquor, but the younger – more rebellious guardians – would more than likely get curious and drink anyways. And given the powers of the guardians she pegged as being the rebellious type, it wouldn’t be a pretty outcome if they decided to let loose.

Dahlia groaned, leaning back in her chair and ruffling her hair in frustration. She would have to talk to them about it, their curiosity be damned. She could only hope that the leaders would have tight enough rein on the younger guardians to prevent any accidents.

That is, if she could even talk to them.

The guardians were no longer giving her the cold shoulder, and for that she was glad. However, besides the smiles and pleasant greetings, they were pretty much preoccupied and unable to talk.

Kyungsoo, Suho and Lay were still busy carting various flowering bushes, fruits and woven garlands around the grounds and making sure everything stayed fresh for the evening’s celebration.

Baekhyun and Tao were barking orders at Sehun, Luhan, Xiumin, and Kai as they decorated the main area of the grounds.

“No no no!” Tao shouted, standing up from where he and Baekhyun were sitting as they put together the sun wheel. “The garlands can’t go like that! Ugh, does no one have vision?!”

“I have a vision of me putting a foot up your if you don’t calm down,” Kai snapped, readjusting the flower garland regardless.

Chanyeol, Kris, and the newly-returned Chen had been roped into setting up for the bonfire – no doubt being volunteered by Manfred as he was assisting them. With him around, there was no way she would be able to talk them out of drinking tonight. Manfred, though he was no doubt her best friend, was a mischief maker.

They were all preoccupied and under the watchful eyes of others. Sure, she could interrupt them now and just get it over with – or she could wait until everything was completed and avoid getting scolded by the guardian of time for ‘ruining his vision’.

She could wait. It was better for them to be finished so she could talk to them all at once, right?

***

That plan was a bust.

The grounds were extra busy thanks to the celebration of the summer solstice that Dahlia barely had time for a lunch break. She had just enough time to get back to her trailer after the carnival had closed and change into her outfit for the night’s festivities.

The white and orange summer dress she would wear was one that Alma’s daughter-in-law Gretchen had bought for her before her first solstice celebration. Dahlia was known for her muted wardrobe, which Gretchen had decided was not appropriate for a celebration of the sun and fertility.  Dahlia couldn’t find any fault in that logic.

She could, however, find fault with the fact that there seemed to be an ever growing obstacle course – some of her own creation, as she’d freely admit – between her and the boys’ sobriety. It was as if something, or someone wanted them to get drunk.

Thankfully, by the time she got back to the main square of the carnival, none of the guardians seemed to be drunk. Tipsy, maybe, but not to the point of recklessness; for that, at least, Dahlia was glad.

 A flushed, giggly Sehun came skipping over to her, looping an arm around hers and bringing her over to where a few of the acrobats were decorating the bodies of the carnival employees. Sehun had already been decked out, a thin red line going across his cheekbones and over his nose, with white and yellow dots forming upside-down triangles underneath. His arms had intertwining bands of black and blue pain looping around, ending in swirls around his knuckles.

“Hey,” Sehun waved to the women. “Heeeeeeeey. You should paint Dahlia so she’ll be pretty like me,” he giggled.

Vasilisa, a pretty Russian woman with long blonde hair pulled into a braid with flowers intertwined in her locks, looked between Sehun and Dahlia and grinned. Vasilisa was one of the headliners of the high-flying act, she was a couple of years older than Dahlia – around the same age (Earth-wise, at least) as Suho – and had joined the carnival around the same time. Aside from Manfred, Vasilisa knew Dahlia the best even if they weren’t all that close.

“Dahlia doesn’t like to be touched,” Vasilisa chuckled. “Remember, new kid?”

“I ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter