Chapter 5

Full Deck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It’s okay, Dahlia,” Chanyeol soothed, “You don’t have to be scared.”

“You’re the one that said frost was bad,” Dahlia retorted.

“I’m a fire thing, remember?” He gave a sheepish grin, which helped calm Dahlia’s nerves somewhat.

Like she had predicted, the trailers had arrived and were waiting for their tenants to come. Dahlia and Chanyeol had holed themselves up in her trailer – she had told Alma she was feeling unwell and had to take the morning off – and they were staring at the frost guardian’s card that was currently sitting on her bed.

Dahlia gave a small groan of reluctance before smashing her hand against the glossy surface of the card, the freezing sensation biting through her skin. Just when she thought she couldn’t take it anymore, the frost guardian appeared next to Chanyeol.

“Xiumin hyung!” Chanyeol greeted excitedly.

“It’s blue!” Dahlia gasped, “My hand has literally turned blue from being frozen!”

Immediately, Chanyeol wrapped his large hands around hers, his powers warming her chilled hand.

She closed her eyes and hummed in appreciated. “That’s warm,” she sighed. “Also, setting a girl’s doll on fire is a terrible way to confess that you like her.”

“Hey!” He ripped his hands away. “No peeking in my mind!”

“I can’t help it!” She protested, laughing.

“Oh my gosh,” came a third voice. Dahlia looked to see the frost guardian gaping at her with wide eyes.

“It’s really you!” He broke out into a wide smile. “My name is Xiumin, and can I just say that I’m honored to finally meet the chosen one.”

“Uh….” Chanyeol and Dahlia floundered simultaneously.

“Next card,” Dahlia declared, wincing when Chanyeol set the water guardian’s card in front of her. “I really hope that I don’t actually drown.”

“Wait, what does she mean?” Xiumin wondered.

“Just…just wait,” the younger male advised.

Dahlia took a deep breath before pressing her hand against the card and she felt herself compressed, completely surrounded as if something were covering and nose. Yup, she was drowning.

As the water guardian appeared, Dahlia coughed and expelled water from as if she had actually been submerged.

“Oh my god, are you okay?” Chanyeol pushed past the older male to get to her.

“Suho!” She heard Xiumin scold the newly released guardian. “You nearly killed the chosen one!”

“I’m okay,” she sputtered, still giving small coughs. “Really, I’m okay.”

“We can take a break,” Chanyeol told her. “You don’t have to keep going.”

“Chanyeol, I’m fine.” She repeated. “I don’t have to stop.”

“I don’t know what I did, but I’m sorry.” The water guardian apologized.

Dahlia looked over to him and felt a twinge of guilt when she saw the expression on his face. “You didn’t mean to,” she told him.

“If you need to take some time to compose yourself, the others will understand,” he continued. “Then again, they wouldn’t even notice the difference.”

She studied the water guardian for a moment, taking in his stance and manner of speaking.

“You’re the leader of the guardians, aren’t you?”

“One of the leaders, yes,” he replied. “I’m Suho.”

“Well, Suho, I app

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter