Lullaby

Mimi & Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                "Woof."

                Mi-hae scrambled up to sit and pulled up her knees onto the sofa. She didn't move for a moment, trying to calm her heart which was beating so fast that she thought it was going to burst. She was too nervous to look at him but she saw him slowly pulling away and sitting up straight. Mi-hae dropped her feet onto the floor; fiddling with the blanket on her lap while trying to organise her words.

                "I c-can explain this..." she started, "Um, last night Woohyun-sshi passed out because you were drunk and so I brought you home. It was late so I was scared to go home and I had to borrow your clothes because you threw up on me..."

                She peeked up to look at Woohyun who was blinking and blinking, with a face full of question. He was sitting cross-legged on the floor, looking fresh after shower with his hair a bit damp and messy. He seemed a bit pale too, probably because of the booze last night. She wondered why he didn't even say anything, which made her a bit dejected.

                "Um... I'll leave now..."

                "Woof."

                "Eh?" This time it was her turn to blink as she stared at him, "Please don't make fun of me..." Woohyun tilted his head and made whimpering noise. She almost stumbled but covered it with a nervous laugh. "Woohyun-sshi, what are you...?"

                Woohyun beamed and then suddenly scooted closer and placed his fisted hands together on her lap. Mi-hae froze; inside out. She didn't know what to make of the situation and what she should do. She could only stare at Woohyun who was looking up at her with an almost dreamy smile before he pulled away. On her lap was then a toothbrush, still in the wrapper.

                "What...?"

                "Woof!"

                "Brush my teeth...?"

                "Woof!"

                "Oh..." Mi-hae blinked to herself, then she got up and with the toothbrush and walked gingerly to the bathroom. She tore open the toothbrush wrapper, rinsed it and put on some toothbrush. Then she started to brush her teeth; thoroughly. Then she washed her face and stared at her swollen red eyes in the mirror. Her face turned scarlet when she saw herself in his shirt and pants, wondering what Woohyun was thinking about it. She was so shy that she thought it'd be nice if she could flush herself out of the house...

                She turned and almost jumped when Woohyun appeared at the door to hand her a face towel. She cupped with it and followed him to the living area again. He motioned her to sit down at the dining table so she sat down, staring at the glass of milk and the very same milk cookies that he had shown her in the text before.

                "Um..."

                Woohyun who was sitting opposite of her beamed again, and pushed the milk closer to her. He looked too happy that Mi-hae didn't have the heart to object and soon she was drinking down the milk while eating the cookies.

                "It's really good..." she said, admiring the cookies.

                "Woof!"

                Mi-hae pouted and sniffled, "You can stop playing now..." Woohyun didn't say anything but he just kept on smiling while watching her eating. "Um... Woohyun-sshi eat too...?" When she saw him not moving, she handed him a cookie, just to be polite and froze again when he bit it off her hand. Mi-hae could literally feel her face had turned red while he was munching happily.

                What is happening?!

                She quickly pulled her hands away and fiddled with her fingers under the table, avoiding her eyes from looking at him. Why was he being so blatant? Although she said that she was going to train him and wasn't giving up on him, there were still some bitter feelings that even the cookies were not curing. She needed him to talk seriously with her; or so was what she was thinking when Woohyun got down his chair and walked over to her. Then he sat down on his legs at her feet and looked up with eager eyes.

                "Woof?"

                "Eh?"

                "Woof woof!"

                "EHHH??"

                "Woof!"

                "What are you- Wait..." Mi-hae widened her eyes at him, trying hard to think. Then she began to remember what she said the night before and her eyes widened even more. "Could it be... you're... puppy...?"

                Woohyun smiled widely, with sparkling eyes and said, "Woof!"

                Mi-hae tried not to stumble off her chair by holding onto the table. Then she laughed nervously, "It can't be, right? You're kidding, right?" She took a look at him again and the more she looked, the more he was looking like a puppy! She wanted to scream! Mi-hae came down her chair and kneeled in front of him. "Woohyun-sshi?" He only whimpered and tilted his head in question again. She frowned in worry and placed her palm on his forehead. "You are bit warm... Are you unwell?"

                She was about to pull her hand away when she saw him staring at her, with his ears turning red and his face was in daze.  Mi-hae was too astounded to move and before she could pull away, Woohyun grabbed her hand from his forehead and began the back of her hand. Then he smiled, shyly. Mi-hae froze again before she shook her head and grabbed his shoulders.

                "We need to go to the vet!" she said, before she corrected herself, "I mean doctors!" She cupped her face and shook her head again, wondering what has gotten into her. Woohyun had turned into a real puppy because of her! She peeled off her hands and stared at him sadly, "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to make you a puppy... But! I'll cure you! Don't worry!"

                She stood up, so he followed her. She ate another cookie, finished her milk and took her purse from the table. Then she grabbed his wrist and walked him to the entrance. While she was putting on her shoes, Woohyun sat down on in front of the shoes rack and took a pair. Instead of putting them on his feet, he slipped his hands into the shoes, and then happily showed them to her.

                "No! No! No! Puppy! No!" Mi-hae freaked out and quickly squatted down to take the shoes off his hands. She then took the shoes and put them on his feet before cupping the sides of his face with a horrified face. "Why am I calling you Puppy...?"

                "Woof!"

                Seeing Woohyun's happy smile, she couldn't help but to smile as well. Then she began pulling him to the door and together they went downstairs. Mi-hae was busy thinking about what she was going to explain to the doctor. She took out her phone and began Googling if there was such condition or puppy syndrome or anything. While she was busy reading some unhelpful articles on the Internet, she realised that she was no longer holding his wrist. When she turned, he was no longer behind her. Panicked, Mi-hae began running around before she saw him trailing behind some ladies with an excited face. Luckily, the ladies didn't notice him.

                Mi-hae sprinted towards him and grabbed him by his collar. "No! Bad puppy!"

                Woohyun turned and showed a dejected face with a small whimper. She felt a bit guilty for shouting at him like that, so she patted him on his head. He looked up with the same dazed face and red ears again. Mi-hae quickly pulled her hand away and sniffled. Then, she took his wrist again and began walking them to the bus stand. He was being obedient but he kept glancing up and down at any lady that passed by them while they were waiting for a bus. Even in the bus, he kept looking at a pretty lady sitting next to them, with a very keen look. Mi-hae whined to herself and had a brief mental breakdown and tried her best to stop him.

                After much struggling, they finally arrived at their stop and Mi-hae began walking him to the nearest hospital. She was still unsure of how to explain to the doctor on Woohyun's condition so she was going to let them see for themselves. They approached the registration counter and were greeted by a busy-looking attendant who didn't look up when she asked for their ID.

                "ID," Mi-hae repeated, turning to Woohyun who only smiled. Then, she realised that he didn't understand her, so she excused herself from the counter and pulled Woohyun to a corner. "You didn't bring your wallet?" - He only tilted his head. Mi-hae cupped her face and whimpered. Then, she took a deep breath and began to pat his hips, near the pockets to find his wallet. However, they were empty. So she turned around to check in the back pocket, where she had to a little to feel if there were any. Unfortunately for her, it was also empty.

                When she turned to face him again, Woohyun's face was red and he was looking down. Mi-hae flustered and since she didn't have any choice, she had to pull him out of the hospital and they were on their way back to his house again. Once they reached his house, she sat him down on the floor, and sat down facing him. She stared at him carefully.

                "Woohyun-sshi? Did you really become a puppy...?"

                Woohyun didn't woof this time. He had been staring down at the floor all the wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter