Truth

Mimi & Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Woohyun opened his eyes slowly but the lights attacked his eyes that he had to close them again and turned his head to his right. When he opened them again, he saw Seul-ki laying her head on the bed that he was laying on, apparently sleeping. When he looked closer, he saw that the bed sheet was damp and some tears were still leaking from her eyes. Woohyun tried to sit and only then saw that his left hand was attached to the drips. He frowned in a slight confusion.

                "Woohyun."

                He looked up to see Sunggyu who sighed in relief as he came up behind Seul-ki. He her hair gently and sat down next to her chair and frowned in worry. "You're at the hospital." Woohyun shifted uncomfortably but wasn't surprise. "The doctor said you haven't been eating or drinking for a few days."

                Sunggyu fell silent, clearly waiting for an explanation but Woohyun only looked at Seul-ki who seemed to be undisturbed by the sounds of their conversation. It made him smiled a little.

                "She called you to invite you for dinner, but a nurse answered it and told her that you were admitted here. She's been crying ever since although we were told that you were going to be okay. But you know, with the hormones and all..." Sunggyu said, sighing while still her head.

                "...Sorry," Woohyun's voice barely came out and made him coughed, "I... kay..." Sunggyu frowned again, unconvinced. Woohyun tried smiling but he couldn't. Sunggyu waited but seeing that the younger man didn't say anything, he stood up.

                "I'm going to call the doctor and we're going to take you home."

                After waking up Seul-ki who looked dazed, Sunggyu went away to fetch the doctor. Seul-ki widened her eyes when she saw Woohyun who smiled kindly at her. She rubbed her eyes and stared sadly at him. Instead of asking anything, she said, "Let's go home..."

                Sunggyu helped Woohyun to walk to their car and was silent during the whole journey. Since he had lost his voice due to cold and exhaustion, he couldn't even object when they brought him to their house. They both fussed over him, telling him that he should stay with them for a few days. Seul-ki made him chicken soup and watched him carefully during dinner to make sure he ate and then tried to feed him puddings to cheer him up. Although at the sight of the dessert, Woohyun felt even gloomier. He checked his phone but there were no calls or texts from Mi-hae.

                Of course she wouldn't call. Partly, he didn't want her to. He wouldn't know what to say. He didn't know what to do with the sudden news. He couldn't think. As he was brooding over it, sitting by the balcony that evening, Sunggyu came over and sat down across him.

                "Tell me what happened," Sunggyu asked, calmly. Woohyun's lips remained tight and he looked sideways to avoid his gaze. "Nam Woohyun."

                Woohyun smiled faintly. "I... fine."

                "That's not what I'm seeing," he said. He tried to stare but Woohyun seemed relentless in keeping quiet. So he took a deep breath and sighed. "Just rest for today. We can talk tomorrow. Go to sleep." Sunggyu stood up and scratched his chest. "But we've made the second room as baby room, so I hope you don't mind."

                Woohyun followed Sunggyu to the room, where Seul-ki was puffing the pillows on a new single bed at the corner of the room. In the middle was a twin cot with a mobile hanging over. The wall had been painted blue with clouds and animals flying amongst them. Woohyun was finally able to smile genuinely after so long. Seul-ki came over and handed him a cloud plushie that he took with wonder.

                "Please rest well."

                He nodded and lied down on the bed. Sunggyu and Seul-ki bid him good night and switched off the lights while closing the door. Woohyun felt ridiculously like a child at that time but it made him warm inside. It was what he needed at that time. He lied on his side and stared at the mobile above the cot which was moving slowly from the air blown from the A.C. There were various animals like lion, giraffe, bear, a cat and others twirling - which must be something that Seul-ki had chosen. Woohyun sat up and walked over to the cot and put his chin on the top of the high cage. He brushed his hand on the soft material of the mattress. Then he pulled away and stood looking at the cot.

               However, the sight of the caged, small bed began to make him felt sicker. He retreated to his bed and lied down facing the wall, curling up under the blanket. Was he really going to become a father? Strangely, the thought stopped there as Mi-hae's face came floating into his mind. It took a moment for him to finally fall asleep, chanting her name under his breath.

 

                He didn't wake up until it was almost noon. Seul-ki was reading a book about babies in the living area on the floor against the sofa while Sunggyu was surprisingly in the kitchen, preparing ingredients to cook? Seul-ki smiled at him and Woohyun sat down crossed legs in front of her, looking at her tummy with a faint smile. It seemed to have grown bigger again, he observed. She put down her book and looked at him carefully.

                "Woohyun-sshi, what's wrong?" her voice was really soft.

                He looked back and smiled weakly. Then he shook his head and stared again at her bump. Was that person's tummy like Seul-ki's too? Woohyun realised he was too bewildered to notice it that day. He couldn't even remember what she said. The only thing he remembered was Mi-hae opening the door and left. His head was hurting.

                "Woohyun-sshi always helped me before when I was sad. So I want to help Woohyun-sshi too..." she said, looking down but she was gripping the book on her side tightly. Then she looked up again and smiled. It was somehow a different smile but Woohyun felt relieved for some reasons, "But you should rest first. Sunggyu-sshi is preparing lunch!"

                "...unch? Su...gu...ung?"

                Seul-ki nodded excitedly, then tried to stand up, so Woohyun stood first and helped her. She beamed and thanked him and pulled him to the kitchen where Sunggyu was wearing apron. Woohyun thought he was going to look like he was dying but to his surprise, he looked almost natural. At first Woohyun thought he was only helping out to prepare the ingredients but Sunggyu was indeed stirring soup and stir-frying the vegetables. Woohyun blinked rapidly.

                "Oh, you're up," he said nonchalantly. But then his ears turned red because Woohyun was staring at him in disbelieved. "What are you doing? Help me with the plates, won't you?" he said, raising his voice but it shook, causing Seul-ki to laugh a little. And to her relief, Woohyun laughed a little too, and helped with the plates. During lunch, he watched carefully as Sunggyu and Seul-ki were making fun of each other's cooking but tried their best to include Woohyun in the conversation. He was unable to respond due to his throat but he did his best to smile all the while.

                "I'm going to get your things from your house," Sunggyu said, while he was washing dishes. Woohyun's eyes widened and he tried to object. "You're unstable. I can't leave you on your own. Seul-ki will be too worried and it's not good for her as well. So I'm going to have to take care both of you together."

                Are we your babies, hyung?

                As if reading his mind, Sunggyu said, "Yes, you're my babies! OId babies..." he muttered but he was also laughing. Woohyun was sort of speechless and once they had finished the dishes, he was told to sit in the living area with Seul-ki and help her with knitting. Sunggyu left promptly, leaving Woohyun a bit at loss of what do. So Seul-ki handed him a half-done knitted scarf and taught him how to continue. So he did, slowly, listening to soft classical music that she had put on as she knitted. She didn't say much, but will check on his progress from time to time. It was a warm, cozy afternoon and Woohyun drifted off the sleep after just a little while.

 

                Sunggyu looked around Woohyun's wardrobe and took whatever shirt and pants that he always sees Woohyun wearing. He tossed in some underwear too, grabbed everything on his dressing table and scanned the living area. He considered taking along his Playstation set but decided not to, for fear that it was Seul-ki who was going to be hooked to it.

                Next he tried to think if there was anything bizarre that might have been the cause of Woohyun's being like that. But the house was in order and there were traces of his girlfriend staying there. Sunggyu tried his best but he couldn't come up with anything. This detective role wasn't his to begin with after all.

                He prepared to leave and just as he opened the door, the lady who seemed to have been standing in front of it for quite a while jumped. She looked flustered and turned her head left and right and then suddenly bowed. Sunggyu quickly called out as she was leaving.

                "Cho Mi-hae-sshi?"

                Mi-hae turned slowly, blinking her eyes slowly at the unfamiliar man who was calmly closing the door behind him. Then he walked up to her and bowed his head slightly.

                "Are you looking for Woohyun?" Mi-hae brought her gaze down and said nothing. "I'm Sunggyu, his friend. Woohyun is currently at my house. Do you want to meet him?" Again, she was silent but she looked up and studied his face which reminded her of a hamster... Sunggyu frowned, as if knowing what was on her mind. "He's not in the condition to go home for now. So if you want to meet him-"

                "What's wrong with Woohyun-sshi?"

                Sunggyu almost smiled out of sympathy. It occurred to him that this woman was the cause after all. However, something was still bugging him. He knew that Woohyun was serious in his every official relationship but a quarrel won't leave him in that state- there was something else certainly. He didn't realise that he had been staring at Mi-hae while thinking hard, scaring her a little. When he snapped out of it, he was still frowning.

                "Woohyun isn't saying anything about what happened- well, it isn't helping that he barely has voice to speak. So I would need you to help me. After all, you wouldn't be here if you're going to leave him, right?"

                Sunggyu's directness caught her off guard for a second. But it was no use to put up a facade in that situation. He was right. And even though Mi-hae was clueless of what to do and she was still trying to figure out what happened, she found herself making her way to his apartment but lacked the guts to ring the bell. She was scared to face the reality but she needed to see the truth. She wanted to see Woohyun...

 

                They sat down at a cafe just nearby but none of them had touched the coffee that they had ordered. Sunggyu looked grim once Mi-hae had told him whatever that happened and remained completely silent and lost in thought.

                "Woohyun won't do such thing." There wasn't the slightest hesitation in his voice. Somehow Mi-hae was envious of it. U

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter