Interest

Mimi & Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                It was a Sunday which meant that Woohyun and the kids would have to pay their regular visit to Sunggyu. Giving excuses like they were just respecting Sunggyu as the eldest among them, they would come on the last Sunday every month. Sunggyu of course knew that the real reason was because they wanted free food - Seul-ki's cooking. As much as he hated the tradition, he couldn't bear to disappoint Seul-ki who smiles joyfully each time she got to cook for so many people.

                Woohyun was the most excited that day as they were on their way to Sunggyu's apartment. He kept on smiling to himself, not telling the others about what happened the day before. Somehow, he felt obliged to break the news to Sunggyu first whom he knew worried the most about him. Therefore, even when Sungyeol kept pestering him to tell the reason he was being giddily happy, Woohyun kept his mouth shut behind his wide smile.

                Once they had arrived, Woohyun beamed at Seul-ki who greeted them at the door, wearing an apron with her hair tied to the back and smelling like green onions - very wife-like, except for the knife that she was holding up. "Where's hyung?"

                Seul-ki's face turned a little pale, "Oh, Sunggyu-sshi has fallen asleep on the couch. I think he's not feeling really well..."

                "Hmm? Hyung is sick?" The kids quickly rushed inside and Woohyun sat down on the floor, looking at Sunggyu who was frowning in sleep. Seul-ki excused herself to go back the kitchen. "Seems like he's not well..."

                "Yeah, he's a little pale."

                "So that means we have to cheer him up, right?" The kids nodded in agreement, each one of them smiled naughtily. They all believed that the best medicine to brighten up someone who's sick is annoyance. Grinning, Woohyun started poking his cheek but Sunggyu remained sleeping. "Hyung~ hyung~ hyung-ahh~"

                Sunggyu woke up startled, but his eyes were almost invisible when he sat up and scanned the faces of the kids. Woohyun was still smiling while Howon was looking at him anticipating face while Sungyeol were going through his DVD collection. Sungjong was the only one helping Seul-ki in the kitchen though she didn't really need it.

                Woohyun didn't waste any time to get up onto the couch and started telling him about how he met the crying girl. "She was crying when I met her and I was crying because I was watching Hachiko the night before and she saw me. It was embarrassing but isn't it kind of fateful, hyung? I mean, it doesn't happen to anyone, right? So like I've managed to invite her for lunch sometime and - Hyung! Are you listening?"

                Sunggyu, not even looking at him, got up after pushing him aside a little and went to the kitchen. The kids fell silent immediately. Howon was watching Woohyun a little worriedly while Sungyeol looked around questioningly. They got up slowly when Seul-ki announced that the food was ready and took their seats at the table without the usual enthusiasm. Everything looked as delicious as always and Seul-ki seemed to have gone extra miles with the side dishes.

                The kids instantly forgot about the grumpy Sunggyu after they've seen the food but Woohyun kept on watching his hyung, who suddenly turned a little green and cupped his mouth as he stormed to the bathroom. Seul-ki ran first, followed by him and then all of them flocked around Sunggyu who kept throwing up. He retched a few times while rubbing his stomach and moaned.

                "Sunggyu-sshi, are you okay?" Seul-ki asked worriedly while rubbing his back.

                Woohyun was watching them with a frown."Are you sick, hyung?"

                "Probably ate something bad."

                "What did you eat last night? Did you eat out?"

                "No, we had dinner at home."

                "But Seul-ki's fine."

                Sunggyu let out a big sigh. "Probably it's just gas."

               Woohyun frowned even deeper, "When did it start?"

 

               Sunggyu looked up and glared at him, "Seriously Nam Woohyun. Stop playing doctor."

                Seul-ki who noticed the tense quickly interjected, "Sunggyu-sshi vomited this morning. He's been looking sick and pale."

 

               Everyone fell silent before Howon spoke with straight face, "Morning sickness?"

                Sunggyu blinked rapidly. "Why would I get morning sickness?"

               "Hyung is pregnant??" Woohyun asked loudly.

                "I'm not pregnant!" Sunggyu yelled.

                "Then why would you get morning sickness?" Woohyun replied, just as loud.

                Sunggyu hesitated a little but shouted back, "I don't know!"

                "Is this what they called...sympathetic pregnancy?" Sungjong said, calmly.

                "That would mean someone else is pregnant here," Sungyeol said, ridiculing him.

                "I'm pregnant then?" Woohyun cried, rubbing his tummy.

                "Obviously it's a woman who is pregnant," Sungjong said matter-of-factly.

 

                Woohyun quickly turned his head to Seul-ki who was laughing and watched her stopping slowly. By then, everyone was staring at her, especially Sunggyu who looked like he had been blessed by an angel.

                "Seul-ki, are you...?"

               She only managed a small 'eh' before Sunggyu grabbed her hand and ran her out of the bathroom to the front door. Once they've gone, Woohyun sat at the table, and everyone started eating but him. Somehow there was a strange feeling at the pit of his stomach that he couldn't pinpoint. When Sunggyu came back with Seul-ki again, and locked themselves up in the bathroom for a few minutes, Woohyun felt it getting stronger. And only when Sunggyu came out shouting with tears streaming down his face that he was going to tell his mother then Woohyun knew what the feeling was.

 

                Jealousy.

 

                Woohyun was sitting at the park the next day, facing the water fountain, feeling a little bad that he did not fully share the joy with Sunggyu about the news. He felt even worst that he made jokes so effortlessly with Seul-ki about it when deep inside he felt like he was about to burst. Part of him was still overwhelmed over the fact that Sunggyu was stepping into a life that he had never really imagine. It seemed like he was being left behind and he wondered if he would have the same reaction as Sunggyu if he finds out one day that his girlfriend or wife is pregnant. Will he shout and cry so joyfully? Or will he be the reluctant father?

 

                "Geez I'm not even married. Why am I thinking all of this??" he said to himself, shaking his head for a few times. He sighed and spaced of, watched people walking around until he forgot the purpose of him being there but turned just in time to see the person he was waiting for approaching.

                Almost instantly, all the farm animals trampling in his tummy went quiet and he couldn't help but to smile, watching her shyly walking over. She was wearing a simple red round-neck shirt with shorts, with her hair down and a sling bag across her shoulder. Woohyun stood up when she neared and smiled even wider when she looked a little lost.

                "You came," he said. "I was worried since I didn't even get your number... But you came."

                She peeked up and smiled too, a bit nervously. "I'm glad you're here too... I'm sorry I'm late." Her child-like voice again, made him felt a little giddy.

                "Oh no, you're right on time," he said. "I hope you're hungry?"

                She laughed rather nervously. "Um. I'm hungry."

                Woohyun who didn't want to make her felt more awkward quickly said, "Well, let's go then?" She nodded and then they began walking towards the shopping district, side by side. He was a bit slower than always, careful enough to keep up with her pace. It was a little noisy so they chose to stay quiet to save their conversation during lunch. He took the chance to study her a little.

                 Her lips were pulled to the sides into a thin line

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter