New feelings

Mimi & Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Mi-hae had been staring at the row of clothes in front of her; her eyes unmoving except when they blinked. Her head was a little tilted to the left and her lips were a bit parted. She appeared calm but her mind was in traffic, trying to come up with the best match for her clothes. Trying them one by one and assessing them in the mirror was a bother - which was why she was stuck in front of the wardrobe for almost an hour.

                In the end, she chose her overall shorts with a white T for the undershirt and a pair of grey sneakers with pink laces which she took a really long while staring at and imagining herself in them. Deciding that pondering won't get her anywhere, she then ironed the clothes, which made her sleepy and bored. Next she dragged herself to the bathroom to wash her face, carry out her face care routine and snuggles under her fleece sleepily. Once she turned off the light, her eyes were wide awake.

                "Sleep, me, sleep..." she told herself, shutting her eyes tightly. Unfortunately she didn't feel even the slightest sleepiness. In that total darkness, Woohyun's face began to float in front of her eyes, making her shy and wondering what she was thinking - going out with a complete stranger and agreeing to meet again! Although the beginning of the first meeting wasn't really pleasant, she had to admit that she enjoyed the rest of it. Probably because she was calmed by the ice cream in her hands but while walking with him at the park, asking each other general questions was not that bad. His reactions were cute; especially when they found something that they have in common.

                Unknowingly, she was smiling as she let her thoughts wander, thinking about him. She wondered if she should let him know that it was the first time that anyone has ever asked her out.

                "Maybe I shouldn't..." she said, sitting up and pulling up her knees. Or maybe she should let him know once their relationship has developed, she thought. "Developed...?" Mi-hae blinked to herself. Why was she thinking too far ahead? She wasn't even sure where this relationship was heading and didn't even know if Woohyun was interested in her in such way. Is she though, she asked herself and found herself confounded.

                Mi-hae groaned and crashed on her bed, tossing and turning and scolding herself. She reminded herself that she shouldn't be too serious when she's not even certain about things.  The last thing she wanted was to hurt herself. At that thought, she stared up at the ceiling, wondering if Woohyun would - wondering if she would let him. This stranger whom she met just a few days ago.

                "I can't sleep like this..." she sighed. The clock read 11pm. "I still have time I guess..." So she got off her bed, opened her wardrobe and stared at her clothes again.

                Which was why she was wearing a dress the next day, which dreaded her and made her thought that she should've went with her initial choice when Woohyun pulled over in front of her, on a retro bike. He kept blinking once he saw her, which Mi-hae didn't notice as he was wearing a pair of dark sunglasses. Mi-hae was about to suggest that she should change clothes when he broke into a smile and jumped off his bike. "Where can I park my bike?"

                Mi-hae only stared at him before blinking rapidly, "Uh... There?" she said, pointing at the parking lot in front of her apartment. Woohyun nodded to himself and got on his bike again, riding swiftly towards the other bikes and parked his among them. Mi-hae couldn't help but to feel a little shy, looking at him in his leather jacket which he took off and stuffed in the storage box at the sides of the bike. He was wearing a black v-neck T-shirt with a pair of black, ripped jeans and when he was walking towards her, in those sunglasses that suit his face perfectly, Mi-hae actually gulped.

                He took off his sunglasses and revealed his smiling eyes. "Ah... I didn't expect this. You look so pretty." His shy face made her even shyer and she was trying hard not to look up because she knew how red her face was.

                She quickly changed the topic, "B-but is it okay to leave your bike here? Maybe I should change clothes after all..." She said, looking down at her dress that she had chosen in the dark. She thought it would be nice to be a little feminine for the second date so she had picked out her red dotted sundress with blue jeans jacket.

                "No! No! Please don't! You look perfect." Woohyun was smiling so much that his eyes turned crescent.

                Ugh, two strikes, she thought, as he smiled a little shyly. Why does his compliment make me so happy...? Control yourself, Mi-hae! She shook her head, which made Woohyun a little confused but he only smiled.

                "Mi-hae-sshi?" She snapped out of her thoughts and widened her eyes. "Are we ready to go?" Woohyun's smile was indeed contagious as Mi-hae was quick to catch it. His smile widened even more when she nodded and he looked to left and right and managed to hail a passing taxi. He opened the door for her with the same smile, making her a little flustered. They were quiet for a moment before the taxi driver ahjussi started to talk to Woohyun, mostly complaining about some government-related news they were hearing on the radio. Mi-hae glanced at him, noticing how he was forcing a smile and felt sorry for him, but she just couldn't stop the ahjussi from talking...

                The taxi stopped just in front of the mall after a while, to their relief and they went straight to the movie theatre. "So which one should we watch...?" Woohyun asked, looking at the posters in front of them. Frowning, Mi-hae was looking up and down before pointing excitedly at a poster of a horror movie. Woohyun didn't say anything for a moment, just staring at the poster before smiling widely and nodding. So they got their tickets, and loitered around the area looking at ice cream since there was some time left before the movie started.

                "You really like ice-cream that much?" Woohyun asked, standing behind her and peering at the rows of colorful ice cream under the glass.

                "Not just ice cream, I love all sort of desserts..." she explained, a bit embarrassed. Woohyun was silent behind her so she turned her face, just to find his so close to hers. Their eyes met and he blinked slowly with a surprised look. Naturally, she blushed and quickly turned away. She heard him clearing his throat while she pretended to look at the ice cream again.

                "You want a cone while waiting...?"

                "Ah no, it's okay. I want to have some popcorn later," she said, turning really slowly with hope that her face wasn't red any longer. Woohyun was smiling, a little awkwardly.

                "Maybe we should sit down somewhere first," he suggested, looking around them. He spotted a bench so they made their way there, and sat down in silence for a moment. Mi-hae was peeking at him with the corner of her eyes; looking at him studying the people around. There weren't much people there on that day since it was weekday. Even the hall theatre was going to be quite empty, making her a little nervous and a bit cold suddenly. She was rubbing her exposed knees when he suddenly spoke and it actually made her jumped. "I need to go somewhere for a moment. I'll be back soon."

                Mi-hae nodded, watching him walking away hurriedly. She took a deep breath and kept watching the time, looking at the direction that Woohyun headed. It made her a little nervous because it was 10 minutes before the movies started. Just then, he reappeared, with a wide smile and a paper bag in his hand.

                "Let's buy popcorn?" he asked, before she could even say anything. But she nodded and they hurriedly went to the food counter. Since Woohyun had paid for the tickets, Mi-hae insisted that she should pay for the food. She however, flustered when he pointed at the combo with large popcorn with two drinks. She had wanted to buy individual sets because sharing would make her a little shy but she just had to go with it. Woohyun carried the drinks, struggled with the paper bag, while she hugged the popcorn carton and they hurried to the hall for the movie.

                As expected, it was mostly empty since the movie began airing some time ago. Once they were seated, they didn't even have time to calm themselves down as the movie immediately started. Mi-hae bit her lips and almost jumped when Woohyun suddenly pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter