Final

Once in a Life Time (Romance)

 

 

“Please…please” Taeyeon muttered as she paced back and forth in the living room. It had been almost an hour already since she tried to contact Jiyong. She’d been texting and calling yet no whatsoever replied from the male. She even called his friends about his whereabouts, but no one knows where Jiyong is which has worried her even more. Just when she was about to press to redial, the front door was clicked open walking in a person she needed the most.

 

“Ji”

She smiled in relief, but he only glanced at her a second before continued his way to the bedroom. Ignore his cold stare Taeyeon put her phone down and followed him.

“Jiyong, where have you been? I’ve been calling you.” Taeyeon carefully approached Jiyong who was seemed to be packing. She can feel her heartbeat fast. A sign of nervousness and uncertainty.

“Ji..”

Jiyong continued to stuff his clothes and laptop into the bag without looking at her. “Ji, what are you doing?” Taeyeon pulled his body to look at her but Jiyong just yanked her hand away “Get away from me!” he shouted.

That alarmed Taeyeon as Jiyong never shouted at her no matter how angry he is.

 

“Jiyong-ah, listen. Please let me explain.”

 

“Do you have fun?” Jiyong finally looked at her, roughly zipping his bag. His eyes showed nothing but hate and anger.

 

“Wha.t what do you mean?”

 

Jiyong hastily stood up and faced her “I ask do you have fun? Cheating on me. I’m such a fool.” He snarled.

 

“Jiyong. No. Listen to me. I….” Taeyeon tried to reach for his hand just to be swatted away.

 

“What is there to explain? There are pictures, videos. What lie do you have in your sleeve? That is he just your friend? That’s bull Taeyeon!”

 

“No. I didn’t cheat on you Ji. Please listen. I swear. Please believe me.” Her voice was already shaking trying to stop the tear. “He’s really just a friend. That reporter frames me. We didn’t …”

 

“Keep that for yourself Tae!”

 

Jiyong cut her. “What so great about him, huh?” His both hands gripped both sides of her shoulder forcing her to look at him. “What so great about him? Tell me!”

 

“Jiyong, you’re hurting me.”

 

She struggled and pushed him away. By now she was already crying. Jiyong was vivid with anger. She watched him grabbed his bag, not sure what to do since he refused to listen to do anything with her. Maybe I should talk to him later when he calms down. He will understand when his mind clear and we will be ok again. Taeyeon thought to herself with hope. Then that hope vanished when Jiyong stopped and turned to her.

 

“Did you sleep with him?”

 

“What?” Taeyeon gasped. Can’t believe her own ears.

 

“Did you have sleep with him?”

 

“Is that even a question, Kwon Jiyong. That’s what I am to you?”

 

“Who’s know! You won’t have second thought invite him into your house. Who knows how many times already that you do that behind my back?”

 

 

Taeyeon raised his hand about to slap him but could not bring herself to do it. “I’m not that low.” Tear started to flow. “I know it’s my fault. I know Jiyong. But you have no right to disrespect me. Let’s talk later when you calm down.”

 

One last chance Ji. One last chance to save us.

 

“Let’s take a break.”

 

Why does it sound like a breakup?

 

“What...?” it seems like it is the only word she could say for this moment. “you want a break?”

 

“I’m sorry Tae. We can’t go on without trust. And right now, I can’t trust you. Let us go on our own way for a while.”

 

Until when

 

Taeyeon thought to herself as she watched Jiyong leaving. And when the door closed, she could felt her heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Is this how it ends? Didn’t she at least deserved a chance to explain herself. She couldn’t help but think that probably Jiyong had already had someone else. And this was the perfect excuse to leave her. She suddenly remembered how he forgot their anniversary, how he always on the phone, and how he neglected her for the past weeks. With that thought, Taeyeon ended up sitting down on the floor. Didn’t know what to do but cried her heart out. Goodbye Jiyong.

 

 

 

Three months later

 

Seoul, 8: 39pm

 

“I’m fine, fany-ah.” Taeyeon pressed the elevator opened while talking on the phone with her best friend.

Apparently, she came to take her stuff from her share apartment with Jiyong. They bought the places together for the fourth-anniversary gift. And now it was left empty as the owner weren’t together anymore.

 

“I won't cry, Tiff.” She replied as she stepped into the elevator. The reason Tiffany was so worried is that…well…after a week of the breakup, Taeyeon suddenly disappeared and was found crying plus panic in the dark in that apartment by Yongbae and his wife. Jiyong was in Japan at that time and luckily the couple had guessed the password correctly.

 

“I only came to empty my stuff. There’s no chance that I can meet him, Tiff. I know… His manager said he is in Jeju and won’t be back until tomorrow night. Happy?” her friend sighed before reluctantly disconnected the call.

 

Pressing the door password, Taeyeon took a deep breath before opened the door. She entered the place once she called home. It is still the same as she remembered but the hollowed in the heart was too big to ignore. All the memories came back like a flashback. She smiled bitterly as she looked at the picture on the wall, the photo of her and Jiyong on their anniversary day. Shaking away the bitter memory she started to pack.

 

 

 

………………….

 

 

The rain started to pour when jiyong turned the car to his and Taeyeon’ apartment complex. It had been around 3 months since he last set foot there. He couldn’t bear to enter it because it brought so many bittersweet moments. However, today he got a message from his manager that the company needed to review a few clauses in the contract. Therefore, he had no choice but to come here because he kept most of his important documents there. Well…cuz it is home.

 

But unexpectedly when he entered the unit all the lights were on when it supposed to be dark and cold. Slowly he walked past the living room into the bedroom. And there she is. Standing by the bed was Taeyeon, looking as beautiful as ever. She seems to be preoccupied with her things and he just stood there like a status still not sure if it was a dream or hallucination.

 

“Tae.” Like a whisper, he called for her attention. And when she turned, he could see her eyes widen in surprise but immediately composed herself.

 

“I…um..i came to take my belonging. Sorry, I thought you’re not here.”

 

“No no it’s fine. I..I need some documents.”

 

She just awkwardly nodded before continuing to pack. Didn’t know what to do, Jiyong went to the bedside drawer where he kept all his papers. But the paper was nowhere to be found. He tried the second and third drawers but to no avail.

 

Seeing his struggle, Taeyeon sighed. Jiyong had always weak at finding things and he still is. Couldn’t stand anymore she finally asked “What are you looking for?”

 

“My contract with YG.” He sheepishly smiles. “I don’t remember where it is.”

 

“In the safe, Ji. You put all the important documents there.”

 

“Thank.” And their eyes matched. They just looked at each other in silence. Taeyeon was the first to break away “I need to go now.” Gather her bag, she looked at Jiyong one last time before made her out while Jiyong still stood there silently.

 

“Tae. Wait.”

 

Jiyong managed to catch her just before she opened the door.

 

“I’m sorry.” He choked. “I’m really sorry Tae. For everything. For not trusting you. For acting like a jerk. I’m just…I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s ok. It’s all in the past.” Replied Taeyeon shakily, still in the same position. Her back facing him and her grip on the door turned white.

 

“Tae, please look at me. Please..”

 

He moved closer and turned her around to face him. The sight broke his heart. Her eyes were red and her lips trembled as she fights hard not to cry. He hated himself as he is the only reason behind her tear. He hurt her not once but twice. He could felt the tear dropped as he cupped her face with both hands, using his thumps to dry her tear. “Will you forgive me? Take me back please.”

 

“What if you leave me again?” Taeyeon finally spoke “What if another rumor happens and you leave me again? I won’t survive it for the second time Ji. I…”

 

“Shh.. it won’t happen again. I promise.” He brought both her up and kissed them “during those 3 months, there wasn’t a single day that I didn’t think about you. I felt like I am painfully dying. So I shamelessly ask for a second chance Tae. Can you take me back?”

 

A long silence went on as Jiyong waited for a reply. They stood there quietly closed to each other. Jiyong still holds Taeyeon’s hands closed to his chest. Taeyeon kept her vision to the ground refused to meet his pleading eyes. Await that felt like forever slowly made Jiyong lost hope. Maybe he was too late. Maybe

 

“Ok.” A small reply rang his ear. His eyes lit up “yes? What did you say?”

 

…. “Tae?”

 

“ok.” Taeyeon finally looked at him with a small smile. “Don’t do that again. At least listen to my explanation. Ok?”

 

“Yes yes yes” Jiyong grinned as he enveloped her in a bone-crashing hug “I love you Tae. I love you so much. Thank you. Thank you so much. I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

His smile was wider as he felt Taeyeon hugged him back as if she will never want to let him go.