Prologue: One

That Warm Feeling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Have you ever wanted to go to a place where you can be alone and have no one bother you? Everyone wants those special places for themselves, being selfish and not letting anyone break it down or tearing it away. For Kang Noeul, she felt that way the moment her mother passed away due to cancer.

Her mother was her best friend and she could always count on her for anything. For as long as she can remember it had always been her and her mother. Noeul's father left the picture when the girl turned ten and kept in touch when he could.

Now that she is alone and has no one but her father, Noeul packed up what she could from the apartment that was once her home for as long as she could remember and gave it one last look.

"Got everything sweetie?" her dad spoke to her as he grabbed her two suitcases.

Noeul grabbed a picture frame of her and her mother that was place at the entrance of the door. "Yeah."

Taking each step down, Noeul felt the insides of her stomach turn and tears were begging to fall out. She blinked them away to ever escaping and sniffled as she took her time. The old women from the first floor came out with her shopping bag and smiled at the young girl.

"Noeul," she reached out and grabbed her hands. "I packed some kimchi that will last you for two weeks and some of your favorite snacks."

"You didn't have to do that Mrs. Han." Noeul opened the shopping bag and saw a plastic bag with goodies and a red cloth in a rectangular Tupperware. "I'll be sure to visit again when I finish the kimchi."

Mrs. Han gave the girl a hug. "Your mother was a darling person Noeul, don't shut others out ok?"

Noeul looked at the old women and nodded. She had known the old women since she was little and knew her grandson. He would babysit her when her mother worked late shifts at the restaurant. He was in the military right now doing his enlistment so they didn't get to talk as much. "Can you give my new address to Oppa?"

Mrs. Han smiled and gave a nod. "I sure will, I'm expecting a letter soon."

Noeul gave the woman a hug again and left the apartment complexes. Doing the unthinkable, she grabbed her phone and took pictures of the building and felt hurt inside. She didn't want to say goodbye, she wasn't ready just yet. But who is ready for changes in life anyways.

She turned around to get inside her dad's car to get in but she did one last turn when she didn't want too. She then let a tear roll down her cheek.

Goodbye.

- - -

The car ride was silent and the radio playing was a bit comforting for the two. Noeul kept looking out the window as the busy city passed by and slowly turned into nothing but green and lots of land.

Her father lived out the in country in a small town that was still pretty busy and most of the population knew each other. It wasn't a big deal to him, but to Noeul, it was a huge change in her life. She had only been to his home a few times and she only stayed one or two days. But the last time she stayed it was about three years ago.

Usually her dad came into the city to visit and stay in a hotel for business a few days later.

"So I set up your room and got you new bed sheets." her dad spoke trying to break the silence. "Do you know how hard it is to find the color raspberry? I had to go online to find something of your favorite color."

Noeul gave a small smile. "Thanks dad, you didn't have too."

He reached over and grabbed her hand with his. "I know this is such a sudden change for you and all. But I know you're mom would want this."

Hearing the word 'mom' just made her feel worse than she already does. It had only been two months and it still feels like yesterday. How is that even possible?

"If you ever want to talk, I'm here too." he squeezed her hand and let go placing it on the wheel.

Noeul kept looking out the window for a moment and then down at the picture frame. She then grabbed her phone and looked through all of the pictures of her and her mother. Why did she get picked to get sick and be taken away. It wasn't fair to her.

Life is never fair, Noeul adjusted to her parents splitting up when she was ten and when she turned nineteen her mother told her she was sick with cancer. She was there all the time for her mother. Sometimes, it felt as if Noeul was the grown up taking care of her child.

The treatment she received work for a while until it affected her wrong and she had to go under surgery. Her father, started coming around in the last month helping them out and it felt like her family was whole again.

It didn't matter if they weren't getting back together, what mattered was being together and helping each other.

- - -

"Mom look at this!" Noeul came running from her room with the tablet on her hands. "BTS is having a concert in the city! Can I go please?"

Her mother took out the spoon of yogurt in and saw the price of the ticket. "Pick between the ticket or getting a new phone."

"Awh Mom! That's not fair!" Noeul started giving a pout. "You said I could get the phone this month! Now you're making pick between the loves of my life and a new phone?"

Her mother chuckled as she saw her daughter being dramatic. "Alright how about this," Noeul looked at her mother with puppy eyes. "If you have enough savings from your part-time job, I'll go half way on the phone and you can go to the concert. Deal?"

Noeul nodded her head without a second to spare. "As long as I get to see BTS I'm in!"

Her mother rolled her eyes. "Get me a good picture of Jungkook while you're there too."

"Ugh Mom, he could practically be your son!" Noeul got up from her spot and sat on the sofa.

"Which means he can be your brother in another life time." she laughed as she ate more yogurt.

"EW MOM! T.M.I!" Noeul stood up and went to her room. "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that!"

Her mother kept laughing as she continued eating her yogurt. "Silly girl, I'm only joking."

- - -

Noeul smiled as she thought of the memory and a tear came down her cheek. She didn't bother pushing it away. She put her phone down into the cup holder of the car and kept looking out the window.

She saw a few people riding their bikes and a few people already walking their dogs. There was park near a small river where more people were laughing and having a good time. She looked ahead and saw that she entered the town of where her father lives.

"That was fast." she spoke silently.

"Well you did sleep for two hours, don't you remember?" her dad spoke as he did a turn.

I did? I don't remember.

Noeul saw a few corner stores, houses, and a few apartment buildings around. There were some business buildings along with cafes and a ramen shop on the side. A lot had changed since she was last here. She didn't remember half of the things she was seeing.

"When did the town get all these new buildings?" Noeul asked looking at her dad.

A smile appeared on his face. "The moment we turned into a city. We aren't a town anymore. We have our own police department now and lots has changed in three years."

"I can see that." Everything from when she remembered was so different.

Maybe I will like it here after all.

After a few turns, the car pulled up to a stop on the side of the road. Noeul slowly got out of the car and looked at the two story home she hadn't seen in three years. Her dad added a fence on the acre he owned and then around the house was fenced in and of course the other five acres he owned in the back.

Her father owned a few daycares around Seoul and would check up on them every month when he could and make a few adjustments when needed. Noeul would volunteer on her spare time and started to major in child care.

But lately, she was getting second thoughts on what she wanted to do. She had been doing a lot of hours that her classes required and took a year off from school to work and help her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter