The $2 bet

For You

Joshua and Chan- Au: Ok, so my best friend bet $2 that I couldn’t ask you out and get you to say yes, but I’m really desperate for some M&M’s from the vending machine outside and you’re actually really cute, so please take pity on my poor soul



 

A/N: All the guys in the story are in high school and most of the older guys won’t be their actual age. Enjoy~


 

“I bet you can’t ask that guy out.” Vernon told his friend Chan pointing to the senior foreign exchange student named Jisoo.

 

“Bet you I can!” Chan countered.

 

“Well if you can then I will give you...two dollars.” Vernon said, showing Chan the money that was from his pocket.

 

“You got yourself a deal.” Chan said, shaking Vernon’s empty hand and going over towards Jisso.

 

“Oh, hello.” Jisoo said once he looked up from his book and saw Chan next to him.

 

“Hello to you too Jisoo.” Chan said. Jisoo looked taken aback by this person, who he didn’t know at all, know his name.

 

“Um, so is there something you want to talk about?” Jisoo asked.

 

“You don’t know my name, do you?”

 

Jisoo blushed, shaking his head at Chan’s question. All Chan did was smile, not mad at him at all.

 

“How about we go out? So we get to know each other?” Chan asked, trying to avoid making Jisoo think he was asking him out.

 

“Are you asking me out?” Jisoo asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

 

“No! I just want to know more about you then what I hear from my friends.” Chan told him, trying not to be embarrassed but failing.

 

“Really? You could have fooled me.” Jisoo said, smirking at how embarrassed Chan was at the moment.

 

“Okay...I’ll tell you the truth.” Chan started, wanting to be honest, even if he wasn’t going to be getting the two dollars from Vernon.

 

“My best friend bet me that I couldn’t ask you out on a date and get you to say yes. I told him that I could and he bet two dollars that I couldn’t. And I’m going to be honest, I really want that two dollars so I can buy a packet of M&M’s from the vending machine downstairs.”

 

Jisoo was quiet for a moment and Chan was frightened that maybe he shouldn’t have said that last part to him. But Chan felt a little better when Jisoo started laughing and he couldn’t help but smile when he heard Jisoo laugh. It was such an amazing noise, that Chan wanted to keep hearing that laugh forever because it made him feel so happy.

 

“You’re not mad?”

 

Jisoo’s laugh was starting to dwindle so he talked to him with a smile that made Chan want to smile as well. “I’m not mad at you. You were just being honest.”

 

Chan was relieved to hear that and looked back towards where Vernon was. But he wasn’t there anymore.

 

Maybe Seungkwan came in and I didn’t see them leave, Chan thought.

 

“You still up for that date?” Jisoo asked, snapping Chan back into reality.

 

“Really? I, uh, mean, yeah. Yeah, I’m still up for that date.”

 

“Okay. I’m free at 6pm. Meet me at the park close by here?”

 

“Yeah, that’s okay with me.” Chan said, smiling before he left. Happy to be able to get that bag of M&M’s, but even happier that he got a date.


 

~


 

“Wait, what?!” Jeonghan nearly shouted when Chan told his friends that he was going to leave early since he had a date with Jisoo.

 

“Hyung, please don’t.” Chan pleaded because he knew that he was going to get lectured on how he was too young to be going out on a date, even though he was a sophomore.

 

“You are too young to be going out on a date!” Jeonghan started. “You are my baby and you need to do your homework or else you are grounded!”

 

“I did get my homework done.” Chan told him, handing him his backpack. “You can check it yourself.”

 

“You better not be lying to m- HEY! GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT YOUNG MAN! Seungcheol! Do something about your son!”

 

“Babe, he isn’t our son and he is old enough to date, stop worrying.”

 

“Fine…”


 

~


 

“Sorry I’m late Jisoo.” Chan said, trying to catch his breath from running for about five minutes from the bus station.

 

“Actually you're not late, you're right on time.” Jisoo said, showing him his watch. And indeed he was, for the clock said 6:00.

 

“So, is there something you wanted to do?” Chan asked.

 

“Let's go get some ice cream. There's an ice cream shop just ten minutes from here.” Jisoo said, grabbing Chan's hand and leading the way to the ice cream shop.

 

“So...um, why did you agree to doing this? Um, I mean the date.” Chan asked, trying not to blush at the fact that he was holding hands with Jisoo.

 

“You seemed like a nice guy.” Jisoo shrugged his shoulders. “And even if you wanted to just get that two dollars from your friend to buy M&M’s, you're here with me right now when you could have ditched me.”

 

“I would never do that, I'm not some jerk.” Chan told him, Jisoo nodded his head, squeezing Chan's hand a little.

 

“I know, you seem too nice to be like that.”

 

And that was the end of the conversation. They continued to walk to the ice cream shop in silence until they were actually in the store, where Jisoo let go of his hand to look at the selection of ice cream they had.

 

“One double chocolate chip ice cream in a sugar cone please.” Jisoo told the worker.

 

“So your usual then?” The worker said with a slight smile at Jisoo. Jisoo gave him a little push.

 

“Oh shut it, Soonyoung.”

 

“And what about him?” Soonyoung asked pointing to Chan, who had seen the friendly exchange between the two.

 

“Oh, one vanilla ice cream in a sugar cone with M&M’s on top.”

 

“Got it.” Soonyoung said, putting in their orders and getting the money from Jisoo before they sat down to wait for their ice cream comes.

 

“You come here often?” Chan asked. Jisoo nodded his head.

 

“Here you go guys.” Soonyoung said, giving them their ice cream cones.

 

And they say in silence, neither one knowing what to say to each other. That was until Soonyoung came over, not wanting to see the awkwardness between the two any longer.

 

“What's your name?” Soonyoung started.

 

“Chan.”

 

“Grade?”

 

“Tenth, I'm a sophomore.”

 

“Okay...ever been on a date before?”

 

“This is my first.”

 

“Have you ever kissed a guy?”

 

“Soonyoung!” Jisoo said in shock while Chan blushed a light red.

 

“What? It's just a question.” Soonyoung said before leaving the two. And since Jisoo didn't want to be the any longer he grabbed Chan's hand and left the store, heading straight to the park.

 

“Sorry about that. He always does that when I bring a new friend into the shop and since I told him I was gong to have a date today and told him not to ask questions he still did.” Jisoo explained, sitting down on a bench before Chan day down next to him.

 

“It's alright. My friends would have down the same thing. Probably worse.”

 

“Really? What are they like?” Jisoo asked. “Besides placing bets on asking a stranger out.”

 

“Well, one of my friends, his name is Jeonghan, treats me like his child even though he's only three years older then me. Then there's his boyfriend Seungcheol, my roommate as well, who can make any moment awkward. There's Vernon, who is the person that bet I couldn't get you to say yes to asking you out. And there's his boyfriend Seungkwan, who will jump kick you if you ever do any type of aegyo in front of him.”

 

“Wow, interesting group of friends you got there.” Jisoo commented.

 

“Yep, I'm just glad they aren't around. I remember when Vernon brought over Seungkwan for the first time and Seungcheol slipped him a . A ! Right in front of Seungkwan! That was so awkward!” Chan told him, causing Jisoo to laugh.

 

“Oh my god… that reminds me of this one time when Soonyoung threw a box of condoms at his roommate Wonwoo when his boyfriend Mingyu was over. He even yelled ‘No glove, no love!’ at them before we left.”

 

“That sounds a lot better then when I found a bottle of lube under my couch the day after I had spent the night at Vernon's and Jeonghan had spent the night as well. I couldn't look at them for a week, let alone sit on that couch!”

 

And that was how they spent the next hour, just talking about weird moments they had when with friends. They even talked about what would happen if their friends ever met each other, before both agreeing that that would be a horrible idea. After that hour Jisoo walked with Chan to the bus stop before giving him a goodbye kiss on the lips.


And I thought M&M’s were sweet.