Chapter 17

Bystander [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER SEVENTEEN[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Quietly, I sent another bout of newspapers into the trash can, heaving a heavy sigh as I plopped myself onto the cold, metal bench. Nearly a week passed from when YoonGi found out about my motives to move out, and in that time, there has yet to be one spurt of luck on my findings.

As per always, luck was not on my side, and as the Christmas season neared, the rental prices went up and high into the sky. My pocket could not afford it, and with demise and a sour face I realized that I will have to spend their time on myself for an even longer period of time.

Smirking in scorn I remembered the way SeokJin gushed about buying presents for the younger ones, deciding what to buy and where to place it. As per always, he included me into the list of people for presents.

I never before knew that I was a person to waste other people’s kindness; I was actually quite for the idea of people spending their time and money on me if that’s what they wanted to do. Not now, however, as the people showing kindness and support need that to be shown to them.

Ruffling my hair, I simply slumped deeper into the uninviting bench, burying the lower part of my face into the worn out black scarf. It definitely was getting chilly fast, which was quite worrying. If I didn’t get a new apartment by the end of November, that means I’ll be living with the them for the whole of winter.

“You’re here again?” a friendly voice asked. “You’ve been skipping out on a lot of school recently. Teachers ain’t happy, you know? The exams are nearing and they’re hoping on you to raise their educative percentage.”

I scoffed with a small smile that was hidden by the scarf. It was indeed nice to know that somebody cared enough. Enough to speak, that is. “If you’re so worried about school, why’re you here, then?” I threw back at him and saw how his grinning face flashed an emotionless expression for a second.

“School’s over for today, though?” he said quietly, curving his voice up at the end, making it sound more of a question. “Have you been sitting here the whole day?! You’re gonna freeze yourself to death, MiRan!” he suddenly exploded, grasping at my elbow and pulling me up to my feet. “Let’s go back to the apartment! Jin’s cooking something good today, I smelled it.”

Though thoroughly surprised, I simply followed his quick steps, not mentioning the fact that his strong grip had made my hand feel numb. “How did you know where I was?” I asked s we neared the apartment.

“To be honest, I didn’t know where you went off to, exactly; I just came here for some peace of mind and hit into you by an accident.” He explained.

“But you clearly said that I’m sitting here again?”

“Suga was complaining about it. Said something about you being stupid to spend your days in some measly park and skip out of school.” He laughed, facing me and throwing a childish smirk in my direction.

“Sounds just like him.” I muttered, a grin cracking through my ice-cold lips. 

After hearing over the things that NamJoon and SeokJin spoke off, I never questioned neither YoonGi about his family situation nor HoSeok about the medicine of his. However now, as I was sat for a dinner between the two males that were both dotting on me through ways so small it was hard to notice, I was quickly aware of the situation at hand.

My tongue was twitching to ask, the both of them at that, scratching at my mind painfully with a childish curiosity, but I knew I couldn’t. It wasn’t up for me to know, so therefore I kept quiet in an uncomfortable silence while the other five chatted and mingled amongst themselves.

But of course, the comfort and calm was never supposed to last, and before I knew it SeokJin had spoken to me, asking me as to why I began to skip school, prodding at me with worried eyes, his utensils set on the table. From my angle, he really looked like a mother at that moment. “I just wanted a break, is all.” I answered quietly, quickly getting rid of an image of SeokJin in an apron while standing beside a stove, preparing the stew that I was currently eating. “The food’s good, by the way.” I tried to change the topic by giving a heartfelt compliment, but from the spark in his eyes I knew it didn’t work.

“Is somebody giving you a hard time at school?” he instantly asked, and the table became silent, all of the attention falling on me, making me squirm with discomfort; I was never the one for the spotlight anyway.

My eyes clouded as I thought back to the incident with ByulYi, but in the end, I simply shook my head. “I’d say it’s more the teachers that’s the problem. They think we’re some kind of machine

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter