Chapter 12

Bystander [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER TWELVE[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]It was the usual working night before school would start. The takeaway restaurant was bustling with late visitors and the workers rubbed their eyes from the lack of sleep, cursing when a new order came along. That was not me, however, and thank God it was not. My responsibilities in this part-time job were to deliver the food, and deliver only.

Dangerous? It was. You could never know what kinds of people ordered their food. It paid more than the actual work of preparing the takeaway, though. I was content with that.

"Yah! MiRan! Come here!" the manager called out and I sighed while walking towards him. My eyebrow rose when I came face to face with him and he threw me the cars of the old scooter that the takeaway owner owned and allowed the delivery people to use. "Take this," he handed me a bag filled to the brim with fried chicken, "and bring it to the address written on the paper inside of the bag. Come back quickly, there will be a lot of work today." he hurried me and pushed me through the back door of the restaurant, slamming them shut and locking them afterwards.

I scoffed quietly, cursing the man in my head. "Okay, let's do this." with encouraging words to my own self I got on the scooter, put on my helmet and drew off to an address that was bare minutes away from my part-time.

Standing in front of the building, I let out an annoyed sigh. SeokJin will scold me, won't he? The thought made me cringe as I stepped through the sliding doors of the apartment. He totally will.

Knocking three times on the familiar door, I waited anxiously for them to open and when they did, the face of a surprised NamJoon greeted me. "MiRan?" he asked, his head tilting to the side. "What are you doing here?"

"Your chicken." I quickly said and bowed my head to leave when a voice coming from the other room called my name in repeat to NamJoon.

"MiRan?" he asked, his voice sounding confused.

Quickly, NamJoon took my wrist in his hand and dragged me inside with a big frown on his face. "Why do you work part-time so late into the night when you have school the next day?" he asked in a scolding voice, releasing his vice hold on me when I reached their living room.

"It is that same MiRan!" Jung HoSeok exclaimed while pointing a finger in my direction. "Nice to see you again so soon." he also added with a big smile.

My eyes flew around the room, landing first on YoonGi who was shooting me with a cold stare, worry laced within it, and then to an angry SeokJin who had his eyes narrowed. "Are you still working there, MiRan?" he asked calmly, his voice making me nervous; it felt as if I was standing in front of my father rather than an advisor of real-life situations. The thought left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I slowly nodded my head. "I do." I answered in a tired voice that showed no signs of resistance to his questioning. When SeokJin's eyes closed for a quick second, my own eyes darted to HoSeok who was patting a seat beside him, trying to let me know that he wants me to sit down. I shook my head to deny his offer. "I have to go, manager told me to come back quickly; there seems to be a lot of work."

"Don't work too late, MiRan. It's already past midnight and you have school." NamJoon said with an obvious concern in his voice.

"NamJoon's right. We'll talk about this tomorrow." SeokJin added when I already reached the doorway, ready to head out with a guilty heart.

I stood without a breath for a second before lifting my head back up and sending SeokJin the brightest smile that I could muster. "Don't worry, I only have one hour left. My shift ends at one in the morning." I whispered and softly shut the door.

I bit my lip as I got onto the scooter.

I promised him that I would stop working there.

I'm sorry.

A week passed from the time that I was at SeokJin's house, a week after another empty promise to stop working at the part-time job. I was sure he knew; understood that I won't quit and he was worried, most likely.

It was also a week and a half of utter and complete heaviness in the air. YoonGi and JiMin had not been talking much recently. Actually, the two of them seemed to avoid me like a plague all together, only gathering around in the mornings when their friends were around. Maybe that was a good thing.

"God damn it!" Kim Tan cursed quietly under his breath as he sat down beside me. I raised my eyebrow at him, not saying anything as I observed his dishevelled appearance. "Mrs Lee is going to butcher me."

A boisterous laugh was heard behind us and Kim Tan's head was suddenly placed in a head-lock. "What? You didn't do any homework again?" Kim TaeHyung chuckled, ruffling the younger boy's hair while pushing him down onto his previous seat beside me.

Kim Tan grumbled and hit TaeHyung's arm a couple of times. "You're strangling me!" he managed to get out in the end, cheeks red as he was about to bite TaeHyung.

"I told you you should learn some self defence." YoonGi commented with a bored tone, appearing out of thin air, making me jump, startled.

"YoonGi, you scared her!" JeongGuk laughed, slapping TaeHyung's shoulder as if what he just saw was the most hilarious worldwide situation ever.

HoSeok, even further away from where we sat, was already shaking his head at his friends. "You guys are so loud, I could hear you all the way from the end of the corridor. Seriously." he complained for a second, and the other he already had Kim Tan in another head-loc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter