Friends and Colleagues

The Set Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9 - Friends and Colleagues

 

Takashi’s Sushi - 7:48PM

 

“So I deserve to know the truth and tell me what’s really going on here,” Sunny sternly said, shooting accusing glares at Taeyeon and Jiyong.

 

Jiyong sighed, he knew it wouldn’t be easy to fool Sunny. She was an extremely perceptive woman even if it didn’t always seem that way with her humorous and playful nature. Despite Daesung’s foolishness and stupid antics, she was the one to recognize the gentle and kind man underneath and the troubles that had made him so jaded in the past. He was so glad when the two announced they would tie the knot - he knew his friend Daesung would be in good hands.

 

“You’re right,” confirmed Jiyong. He looked around the room, searching for the spy that had been following them tonight. Luckily he was sat at a far away table, sipping at a small cup of green tea. He was out of earshot and if they talked quietly he would surely not be able to hear. “We’re lying about pretending to be in a relationship.”

 

“Is this to avoid your mother setting you up into an arranged marriage?” questioned Sunny, once again correct with her assumptions. Sunny was a charity worker and mother Kwon was a very generous donator so the two had met. It was well-known that the mother had been looking for a wife for her son, and had talked up her bachelor son to many of the other donators.

 

“Yes. She’ll set me up if I can’t find a wife of my own. She doesn’t want me to marry Taeyeon since she’s not someone who can expand the business. If she refuses a marriage with Taeyeon I can avoid any potential future marriages,” explained Jiyong. “It’s now a matter of who will concede first. If she can make me reveal the relationship is fake or if she rules out the marriage between me and Taeyeon.”

 

“Wow, the Kwon family certainly does have it’s problems doesn’t it,” joked Daesung. He was a bit more clueless about the Kwon’s compared to Sunny, but from the complaints he heard from Jiyong he gathered he had all the information he needed.

 

“That’s not even half of it,” added Jiyong, laughing alongside Daesung. He was trying to lighten the mood, even if it was a very grave and serious issue for him. Everyone around Jiyong knew how much Jiyong tried to avoid getting married.  

 

“You should give your thanks to Taeyeon then. It’s not everyday you would find a woman who would go through something like this,” Sunny advised, cutting the laughter between the two men. She took the dainty hands of the blonde haired woman. “You’re a brave woman for going against mother Kwon. She’s a very persistent lady.”

 

Taeyeon nodded, dumbfounded at the conversation that took place. Did everyone know so much Jiyong’s family? What did she mean by mother Kwon was a very persistent lady? Did she not realise the scope of the situation, and how many more people would be able to deduct that their relationship was fake? Was their fake relationship so obvious? The more questions that built up in their mind the more foolish Taeyeon felt.

 

Jiyong guiltily nodded and turned to bow towards Taeyeon. “Thank you for your help, it means a lot to me.”

 

Taeyeon blushed at Jiyong’s sudden thanks, snapping out of the questions that were endlessly forming in her mind. “It’s okay, I’m only helping a friend,” she reassured, lifting Jiyong up to a seating position again.

 

“Alright alright, look the food’s coming! The sushi here is really good Taeyeon, I’m sure you’ll love it,” piped Daesung excitedly. The waitress delivered a large tray of all assortments of Japanese sushi. Eel, salmon and fatty tuna topped pieces of vinegared rice were present, with a large plate of sashimi included. Salmon roe, sea bream and scallop were part of the sashimi selection, the clean and fresh smell of the seafood purveying the table. The sight of the delicious food grew the enlarging appetite of the four diners, who could not wait to enjoy the food.  

 

*

 

A frustrated chewing sound could be heard to the side of Jiyong. On his side he saw Taeyeon wincing as her jaw kept moving. He looked down to see her chopsticks seated above a bowl of green edamame beans.

 

“Do you not know how to eat these?” asked Jiyong, wondering if his suspicions were correct. Edamame beans could be strange to newcomers to the dish. The pod was tough and not edible, but those who were not in the know often attempted to eat it.

 

She stopped gnawing and blinked at Jiyong. “Am I doing it wrong?” she asked blankly, covering with her hand politely as she spoke. Her large unknowing eyes eyes stared right back at Jiyong’s.

 

“You’re not meant to eat the skin,” explained Jiyong. He reached over with his chopsticks to pick up one of beans. “Take one of the beans inside the bean and throw the skin away.” He demonstrated by squeezing the pod slightly with his teeth to pop out one of exposed beans. He then placed the used pod gently onto the table, with only the slightest marks visible on it.

 

Taeyeon followed suit and removed her edamame bean skin in a tissue Jiyong had just passed her, except her bean pod was in tatters from her excessive chewing. Her face grew red, probably upon realisation she had outed herself as a senseless person when it came to eating.

 

“It’s okay. I had the same problem the first time I ate those beans,” reassured Jiyong, trying to calm the flustered woman.

 

“How old were you then? You’ve probably ate sushi a hundred times before!” she cried in embarrassment. Frustration was definitely building within her, towards Jiyong for taking her for a meal she wasn’t experienced with but most of all her own lack of knowledge. It was especially shameful to be having such a mistake occur in front of two of Jiyong’s friends!

 

Jiyong laughed. “Actually, when I was a child I absolutely hated seafood. I was a very picky eater. It was only in the last few years I learned to enjoy all sorts of flavours,” started Jiyong. “I think I was twenty the first time I came to a sushi restaurant, and had the same problem you did. I chewed on the bean as well and even forced myself to swallow my first one.” He chuckled at his old memory, reminiscing about his young and naive self.

 

“I’m going to the toilet,” she mumbled, leaving the three amused adults behind. She needed to calm herself and wash her hot face with cold water.

 

“She’s quite cute isn’t she?” commented Daesung, noticing Jiyong who had turned around to watch Taeyeon enter the toilet. He quickly spun back around upon hearing the compliment from Daesung.

 

“Your wife is right beside you Daesung,” warned Jiyong, shifting his glance to Sunny who appeared to be unfazed.

 

“Am I not allowed to comment on other woman now just because I’m married?” retorted Daesung. “I’m only telling you what I saw.”

 

Jiyong pouted unhappily in response.

 

“You know Jiyong, Taeyeon is a really nice girl,” commented Sunny. She had been observing the two that dinner, and noticed the caring way Jiyong tended to Taeyeon. He had constantly been giving her pieces of food, saying this one is really good, or you just have to try this. Taeyeon accepted the foodbites happily, and Jiyong’s face would be full of anticipation as she was eating. It was only once she acknowledged the great taste would his face finally relax with joy and relief.

 

“I know,” Jiyong confirmed. “I’m really thankful to her for helping me out.”

 

“Jiyong.” This time it was Daesung. He and Sunny had been whispering about the affectionate actions between the two - it was reminiscent of themselves when they had first met. There was no doubt that the way Jiyong treated her was different from other girls. “Why don’t you just go out with Taeyeon for real? It seems like you really like her.”

 

Jiyong spat out the green tea to the side of him. “What are you talking about?!” Jiyong protested defiantly. Upon realising his loud statement he lowered his voice into a whisper. “I don’t like her in that sense - this is purely a fake relationship.”

 

“It seems like you do like her though,” mused Daesung. “She’s different from the girls you usually go for. She’s sweet and innocent.” Daesung had disliked the other girls Jiyong were associated with. They were either arranged marriages with pretentious girls who Jiyong didn’t bother to give his time of day or those casual flings he had with more ually adventurous woman. The pure and gentle Taeyeon would be the perfect compliment to Jiyong and could help him to finally settle down.

 

“She’s not the kind I usually go for because she’s not my type,” scoffed Jiyong. He usually went for woman who were more blessed with their body, or those he could easily charm with his charismatic good looks and riches. “I’m just pretending to trick my mother.”

 

“Whatever you say,” shrugged Daesung. Over the years of their friendship he had learned when Jiyong would be lying. This time it seemed as if he was in denial, but Daesung would have to leave it to Jiyong to figure out himself. “Oh look, here she comes back.”

 

Jiyong turned to watch Taeyeon return to seat herself at the table. She marveled at the food once more before diving back in. Her hair was pulled onto one side, revealing the pale and soft skin of her neck. The flowery and delicate scent from the exposed area trailed over to Jiyong’s nose, who truthfully enjoyed the feminine fragrance. It was a fresh and lighter aroma compared to what he was used to from a woman - a nice change of pace he concluded. Jiyong could not help but watch the small smile dancing on Taeyeon’s face as she continued to enjoy the evening.

 

*

 

After the dinner had concluded Jiyong paid the bill as thanks to Daesung and Sunny for keeping their secret. They then parted ways and Jiyong drove Taeyeon back to her apartment, both of their stomachs and taste buds

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter