Predicament

The Set Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3 - Predicament

 

Apartment complex, Seodaemun-gu - 10.22PM

 

Taeyeon exited the taxi as she arrived at her apartment complex. She heard the distant shouting of the businessman celebrating the end of the work day with a bottle of soju accompanied with a variety of fried foods at the street stalls. Although she wanted to go for some soondae just then, her face creased as she thought about the jacket in her arms. The overpowering smell of the oily snacks would definitely seep in and ruin it. She clutched the jacket tightly in her hands as she tapped in the PIN code to enter the off-white building in front of her. She sighed as she saw the red sign on the elevator - it had been out of order since yesterday morning, with a promise it would be functional next week. Looking at the daunting stairs to the side of the elevator, she decided to take off her dark blue platform heels and started her climb. After two flight of stairs she had finally arrived at her floor and took in heavy gulps of air. Not only had it been an emotionally draining night for but she wasn’t the most sporty person out there -  the two flights of stairs nearly knocked her legs out. She walked along the narrow corridor until she was in front of door 309. Her apartment. She fumbled in her handbag for the keycard and pressed it against the keypad. After hearing a click indicating the keycard was recognized, she opened the door with one hand to be greeted by two woman, one focused on watching television and the other at the kitchen bar concentrating intensely on the laptop in front of her.

 

“I’m home,” Taeyeon announced to the two, placing her heels in the shoe rack and taking off her handbag.

 

“Unnie!” greeted the one at the kitchen bar. “How are you? Do you want something to drink?”

 

“It’s okay Seohyun, I’m exhausted and I just want to wash up before going to bed,” Taeyeon told Seohyun as she made her way to her bedroom.

 

“No no unnie! I’ve been telling you that you need to drink more water. I’ll fetch you a glass now,” Seohyun reasoned as she grabbed a glass from the oak cabinet. She opened the fridge to grab a large bottle of cold water. “Come back out after you’ve washed up. I’ll prepare some fruit as well, I haven’t had any tonight.”

 

“Okay,” conceded Taeyeon to the enthusiastic woman. Although Taeyeon was older than Seohyun, she always thought the younger one was far more mature than herself.

 

The other woman who was attentively watching the drama shown on the television turned around as adverts came onto the screen. “Tae, who’s jacket is that?” she asked. Taeyeon froze as she was about to open the door to her bedroom. “Leeteuk wouldn’t own a jacket like that, it’s too small for him.”

 

Taeyeon’s face was flushed with embarrassment, knowing she had been caught red-headed. Her roommate was a fashion coordinator for the wealthy, Taeyeon knew she couldn’t betray her eyes. “Tiffany, it’s not like that. A guy gave me his jacket because he thought I was cold,” explained Taeyeon timidly. “Leeteuk and me are over.”

 

Tiffany’s skeptical eyes gave way when she heard the last statement and ran over from the sofa to hug Taeyeon. “Oh I’m so sorry,” apologized Tiffany, enveloping Taeyeon’s upper bodies with her arms.

 

Taeyeon chuckled into TIffany’s chestnut brown hair as she felt tears from her eyes dropping onto her shoulders. The warmth of her best friend always comforted her and pricked at her well of emotions. Taeyeon was about to cry alongside TIffany, but she didn’t want to show her tears in front of her friends. That’s what she hated most, making the people close to her worry for her.

 

“It’s okay, he wasn’t worth it anyway,” stated Taeyeon.

 

Seohyun then rushed over to join the two in their hug. “Oh unnie…” she whispered.

 

“You guys! Don’t worry about me. You’re getting yourselves dirty, I even haven’t washed up yet!” Taeyeon exclaimed, wanting to break the downtrodden atmosphere that she had brought about.

 

Seohyun and TIffany released their arms as they gave Taeyeon freedom to move again. TIffany had another glance at the jacket Taeyeon was holding and her eyes widened. “Seriously Tae though, whose jacket is that? It’s a Brioni suit jacket. They’re an italian company, their jackets can go up to 50 million won!” concluded TIffany.

 

Taeyeon gasped as she heard the price. The man earlier had given her such an expensive jacket? She would definitely have to return it and thank him again for his kindness.

 

“Tiffany, let unnie wash up first before we talk,” suggested Seohyun as she pushed Taeyeon into her bedroom.

 

Taeyeon nodded with wide open, dumbstruck with the revelation that just hit her. She closed the door to her bedroom and collected her thoughts as she sat on the edge of her bed. Her fingers played with the light blue comforter whilst her mind went through her options of how to return the expensive jacket. Should she wash it first before she returned it as a sign of thanks? Would she ruin the fabric instead? Should she just be casual about it and make it seem like it was not a big deal?

 

“Taeyeon! Remember we have a lunch meeting with my editor tomorrow at 11 about the new book!” shouted Seohyun through the door, interrupting her thoughts.

 

“All right! I’ll be sure to make it,” Taeyeon confirmed. Brushing the worrying thoughts in her mind, she laid the jacket on the chair beside her make up table and changed into lilac-coloured pyjamas.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter