Beach Trip

The Set Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 14 - Beach Trip

Jiyong’s Car - 8:22AM

Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb

“Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb,” echoed the two little girls seated in the back of the car. Their heads bobbed side to side constantly in excitement as they sang along to the tune coming out of the radio in front of them.

I’m thinking hard all day because of you
But I still don’t know what to do with you
Baby baby baby baby baby you
Play me play me play me play me play me

The man in the driver’s seat chuckled. “You two really like this song don’t you?” asked Jiyong, with a small smile on his face. He ran one of his hands through his sleek hair as he enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere whilst the other hand rested laxly on the leather steering wheel. His eyes were focused on the road - they were currently on the highway to Yangyang. The drive was going to be long, but fortunately the roads were quite clear today.

“Are you two big fans of Red Velvet?” cooed Taeyeon in the passenger seat, turning around towards the younger girls.

Jiyong from the corner of his eyes could see the relieved look on Taeyeon’s face, and it had been there since he had started driving. Her blonde bangs gently rested on her forehand, with her eyes glistening with happiness.

“We love them!” chorused the two girls joyfully.

“Seungwan especially loves Irene-unnie,” disclosed one of the girls, kicking her legs forward underneath her red and green plaid skirt. Her small hands were grasping cutely at the sleeves of her long yellow shirt, resting in her lap.

“Irene-unnie is so pretty,” marvelled Seungwan, her eyes drifting off to her fantasies. She clasped her hands together, allowing the sleeves of her red shirt to fall down to just above her elbow. A pair of blue dungarees completed her outfit, connecting her top and jeans together.

“You girls are called Seulgi and Seungwan right?” inquired Jiyong, finding humour in the two young girl’s naiveness. The two girls were adorable - he had always said himself that he would prefer a daughter, and these two were what he could imagine his daughter would become like.

“Yep!” answered the girl with the canary yellow top. “I’m Seulgi, she’s Seungwan. We’re both third graders at Ewha Elementary school.”

“That makes you both nine or ten years old right?” Jiyong said. They were working with fairly young children - they were still at an impressionable stage in their life. This trip would do a lot of good for them.

“I’m 9!” answered Seungwan joyfully, turning to the girl beside her. “Seulgi is older - she’s 10 years old.” She pointed a finger at Seulgi naively, despite the fact the person she was addressing could not turn around and see her actions.

“What’s your name mister?” the apparently older girl in the backseat asked, leaning forward.

“Jiyong,” he stated succinctly. “Kwon Jiyong.”

“Mr Kwon,” confirmed Seungwan, nodding. “Taeyeon unnie, how long will it take to get there?”

“It'll take about 2 hours, isn't that right Mr Kwon?” giggled Taeyeon, digging her nails into the navy rucksack in her lap.

“Why is it Mr Kwon but Taeyeon unnie? It makes me sound old,” Jiyong whined childishly. “Can I be Jiyong oppa instead?” The laughter from the woman to his side intensified, most likely from the pout forming from his face and the cute tone he put on for his request.

“It just doesn’t feel right with you Mr Kwon,” stated Seulgi, tapping her index finger on her dainty chin pensively. “Taeyeon unnie looks so young, but Mr Kwon looks so....” Her sentence trailed off, unwilling to finish off her comment.

“He does look old doesn’t he?” Taeyeon chided, stifling her giggle. “You hear that Jiyong?”

“I’m only a year older!” he whined, playfully tossing his body in a small tantrum.

“Okay okay, Jiyong oppa!” shouted the two younger girls together. The shining white Bentley under the clear sun echoed with laughter from the three females and Jiyong.

“Do you two really like drawing?” he inquired. According to Taeyeon the two girls were rather talented.

“We love drawing!” stated Seungwan enthusiastically. “Seulgi is better than me though. You should look at her sketchbook - she’s really good!”

“It’s my dream,” revealed Seulgi shyly. “I want to become an animator when I’m older.”

“I want to be a singer myself,” added Seungwan. “But I really enjoy drawing too. What are your dreams oppa and unnie?”

“I want to be a good artist,” commented Taeyeon wistfully. “One whose art can make people feel at peace or happiness. I want to be able to create art that’s calming and comforting to people.”

“Sounds great! What about Jiyong oppa?” asked Seulgi.

“Hmm,” he pondered. “I don’t really have a dream anymore, but when I was younger I thought about opening my own art gallery.”

“Why not now?” pressed Seungwan, interested in the topic.

He gave a bitter chuckle before continuing. “I’m a bit old now aren’t I? I should be responsible and do what’s best for everyone.”

A solemn mood filled the car, although this was only recognized by the two adults. The two children in the back continued playing, marvelling at the sights that whizzed past them through the window - from the sullen rich fields to the rich greenery that could not be found in a city.

“So, are you girls looking forward to the trip?” questioned Taeyeon, breaking the awkward atmosphere.

“Yes!” answered Seungwan immediately. “What are we doing once we are there?”

“Well, first we’ll take a walk around the beach and allow everyone to see the beach,” explained Taeyeon. “Have you two ever been outside of Seoul before?”

“I haven’t,” answered Seulgi. “So I’m really looking forward to today!”

“I have some family living in Canada,” started Seungwan. “We visit sometimes but I’ve not been anywhere else in Korea.”

“Ah, so it’ll be the first time in Yangyang for the both of you,” confirmed Taeyeon. “You’ll love the view - it’s different when you see it in person. Afterwards we’ll have lunch together with the music group too, before we start on the drawing activity.”

Sometimes, you gotta be bold!
Just rock the world! Boo-yah
Lalala lalala lalalala (Happiness)
Lalala lalala lalalala

“We love this song!” squealed Seungwan and Seulgi animatedly. “It’s Red Velvet again! Turn it up Jiyong oppa!”

He turned the volume knob slowly as the sound of the two girl’s high pitched singing warmed their ears.

Money and power

I feel bad for the adults who only chase after that

They are truly unhappy

The world is filled with happy things and great things

That it’s been awhile since we stopped caring about

Money and power

*

Naksan Beach, Yangyang - 12:41PM

The bright sun shined over the clear ocean, soft waves forming on the sunlight caressed surface. The shimmering water gently massaged the cream coloured sand, with tender seaweed billowing gently with the small breeze. The seagulls overhead cooed softly, and the quiet splash of the sea completed the ambience of the beach.

A large group of adults and children were seated upon the white sand, shielded from the soft ground with fluffy towels. A small grill was assembled off the side, with the flame already off, and several picnic baskets were half-emptied around the adults. The scent of cooked meat and coal floated around the congregation of people.

“Are you enjoying the trip?” asked Taeyeon anxiously, seated on a purple towel beside Jiyong and the two girls they had driven here. They had finished their small tour of the waterfront with the other adults and children, and were now enjoying lunch in the groups that they were sorted out into at the start of the day.

“It’s beautiful here,” commented Seulgi, looking out into the halcyon ocean. “I’m looking forward to what’s next.”

“You girls enjoy yourselves h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter