Thanks

The Set Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13 - Thanks

Jiyong’s Apartment, Seoul Galleria Forest - 5:57PM

“That’s why I refuse marriage,” Jiyong stated, determined. “I took away her happiness. I don’t deserve mine.”

The sorrowful woman got up and began walking towards him. He turned around in response, unwilling to show the tears forming in his eyes. Suddenly he felt a pair of thin arms envelop his waist, with her head resting against his back. The tension he felt in himself was released, and his face softened at her touch.

“Jiyong…” Taeyeon sobbed, strengthening her hold on him. “I’m sorry…”

He chuckled bitterly. “Why should you be sorry?” he said, lifting his head high as tears continued to stream down. “If anything, it should be me who’s sorry.”

“You should talk-” began Taeyeon.

“Don’t,” interrupted Jiyong sternly. “Just hold me like this. Please.”

His pleading tone had stopped her and she just held on. The splash of the droplets of water on the glass tiles could be heard, whilst her own tears soaked the thin shirt on the man’s back. The wet shirt wasn’t a deterrent to her, instead she only clung tighter as if she was desperate to share her warmth with the tormented man.

“It’s okay…” she whispered, as she began to loosen her hold.

The sounds of the teardrops eventually stopped, and he  backed away from Taeyeon. The soft fabric disappeared from her fingertips as the man moved away from her.

“Let’s not talk about this again,” he declared, staring out of the wide window which overlooked the city of Seoul. “Finish up eating; I’ll do the washing up.”

She nodded and returned to the now cold pot of noodles, as they finished the meal in silence.

*

The sound of water splattering upon a metal surface came from the kitchen, where Jiyong was doing the washing up. The green sponge which his hand held was brushing rigorously against the metallic pot, with the gentle stream from the tap washing away the suds.

“What are you doing?” asked Jiyong, gently rubbing against the silver surface. From the corner of his eye he could see the delicate woman staring out of his window, at the nightview of Seoul. Her blonde hair was resting gently on her shoulders, her pale skin greatly contrasting against the dusk outside.

“I’m just looking,” explained Taeyeon, her eyes still fixed on the scenery outside. “It’s really beautiful from here.”

He laughed at the simplicity of the woman. “There’s better places. My office on the top floor of my hotel has a better view. You can see the entirety of the south of Seoul.” he bragged cockily, placing the pot on the drying rack with the bowls and utensils they used.

“It’s still nice here,” retorted Taeyeon, walking closer to the window and pulling the black curtains aside slowly. She then gave a small sigh. “I wish I could have a view like this at my apartment. It’s so scenic.”

“Oh that reminds me! Are you working on a piece for my friend’s gallery?” inquired Jiyong curiously. He had talked to his friend last week about Taeyeon, and how she was a promising artist. He had tried to convince him of her talents but as always he would have to make the final judgement himself.

“Your friend Seunghyun? Not yet. I can't find that spark of inspiration just yet that will let me paint a worthwhile piece,” answered Taeyeon dejectedly. Her shoulders slumped dispiritedly, and she pulled the curtains together slight. “Since it's your friend I don't want to look bad.”

“That's right. I am vouching for you after all,” Jiyong chided as he walked over to join Taeyeon. “But I believe in you too. You’re talented.” A rush of air took over the small space between them as Jiyong took the curtains in his hands and spread them wide open, displaying the wondrous view again.

“Thanks,”  mumbled Taeyeon, blushing at the compliment as she angled her head then. “Let me take a picture of this; it might be useful for later.” Her hands started patting herself down before she rushed over to the handbag placed on the kitchen counter,

“My phone, it’s gone!” she cried, wide-eyed at the realisation. She continued to frantically search herself and her bag for any glimpse of the phone - but it was evident the phone was elsewhere.

“Where did you last remember having it?” asked Jiyong, frowning as he watched the panicking woman go through her belongings.

“I had it before I met your mother...” she murmured nervously. The disgruntled look on Jiyong’s face strengthened. His suspicions were correct.

“Is it with her?” he inquired abjectly.

She hesitantly gave a small nod. “Her aide took it away from it when I got into the car.”

“I’ll go get it from her,” he said apologetically, his face softening as he looked at Taeyeon. He was the one who had got her involved in this mess - and he certainly didn’t want his mother to come into contact with Taeyeon again. Who knows what she would do to the poor woman? “I’ll return it to you later.”

“Is it ok to get it by tomorrow?” she boldly requested whilst twiddling her fingers. “I have to go to Yangyang in the morning.”

“Is this for the beach trip?” he inquired, waiting for her confirmation. She had mentioned that she was taking part in a project to promote the arts in young children, and they had scheduled a visit to the beach. He saw her head bob which affirmed his hunch. “What time are you leaving?”

“I’ll have to go to the art centre early but we’ll be leaving at 8AM,” she answered reluctantly. “Sorry. It’s really early but-”

“It’s fine,” said Jiyong, waving his hand to brush her concerns. “I’m not too busy tomorrow anyway. I’ll come by 8AM and drop off your phone before you go.” That meant he would have to visit his mother tonight in order to get the phone, and return it to her in time.

She nodded, grateful to Jiyong for taking care of her.

“Come on. Let’s get you back home; the girls are probably worrying about you, and I need to go see my mother.”

*

Outside Taeyeon’s Apartment Building - 7:02PM

The white Bentley had just arrived at their destination, and the small woman emerged first from the car, wearing a black bomber jacket with a pastel green shirt underneath. From the other side Jiyong came out in his attire, a simple fitted white dress shirt and suit pants. The cold breeze washed over the two as they walked over to the entrance of her building.

“Hey,” called Jiyong as they kept walking. “Thank you for everything today.” He looked down as he bit his lower lip - he hated the feeling of being indebted to others.

“It's alright,” replied Taeyeon, smiling back brightly at the considerate man.

“It's just… A lot has happened today and not once have you thought about turning back, “ Jiyong said uncomfortably. Today she had gone through a lot because of him. “You had to meet my mother and what I told earlier…”

“It's okay!” She reassured, laughing at the apologetic man

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter