Introductions

The Set Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6 - Introductions

 

Taeyeon’s Apartment, Seodaemun-gu - 9:15PM

 

The two firmly shook hands together. Jiyong’s face held an emotion of pure delight whilst Taeyeon’s was one of exasperation. They had agreed to fake a relationship between the two for Jiyong to avoid an arranged marriage. The fake relationship only had to be maintained until Jiyong’s mother would concede and reject Taeyeon as a potential wife. Taeyeon withdrew her hand and sighed, agitated at the situation she found herself in.

 

Click

 

Taeyeon froze at the sound of the door unlocking, and Jiyong turned to face the opening door with his mouth ajar. The two other occupants of the apartment had returned home from their long day.

 

“Tae we’re home! We saw your mother on the way out. She looked really happy,” blabbered Tiffany as she lifted a bag full of fashion catalogs. “She said something about being able to sleep peacefully tonight”. She then paused as she spotted the unfamiliar man in her apartment.

 

“Unnie, who is he?” asked Seohyun, popping out from behind Tiffany. Her wide eyes were staring inquisitively at Jiyong.

 

Taeyeon looked down, out of embarrassment and nervousness. “This is my b-b-boyfriend, Kwon Jiyong,” lied Taeyeon, staring at her feet shuffling on the carpeted floor. “I had dinner with him today.” She could feel her face getting warmer as she tried to deceive her two best friends.

 

“Oh, you already found someone else Taeyeon? Didn’t you break up with Leeteuk not long ago? She just got out a long relationship,” grilled Tiffany, wary of the new man in Taeyeon’s life. She walked up to Jiyong with her index finger extended. “You’re not taking advantage of my best friend are you?” Her long finger found its way into Jiyong’s chest.

 

“Fany! It’s not like that!” replied Taeyeon defensively, flustered from her friend’s accurate assessment. “Jiyong’s a good guy…”

 

“Was it his jacket you had last week? The one you kept holding onto?” questioned TIffany further, her arms now firmly crossed against her chest.

 

Taeyeon meekly nodded as she mumbled a ‘yes’. From her side she could see Jiyong looking at her with a cocky grin on his face. That jacket had been a source of comfort for her over the busy week. She fondly recalled the dreamy scent of cinnamon and orange tones.

 

“Good for you Tae!” squealed Tiffany excitedly. She then turned to address Jiyong, her hands fixed firmly on her hips. “So mister, introduce yourself.”

 

Jiyong was still recovering from the bold’s woman scarily accurate accusation when he snapped out of his daze. “Hello, I’m Kwon Jiyong, owner of Dolce Vita hotels,” introduced Jiyong. He couldn’t decide if he should offer a handshake as he usually did when he introduced himself - he had a feeling the woman in front of him wouldn’t be so receptive.

 

“How did you meet Taeyeon?” asked Tiffany, with cynical eyes glaring at Jiyong.

 

“I met her at my hotel last Friday. We talked about some things and we started dating then,” he explained vaguely. He wasn’t sure how to approach all these questions and certainly did not want to trip over a landsome - the woman’s suspicion was already approaching dangerous levels.  

 

“What do you like about Taeyeon that made you start to date her?”

 

Jiyong looked at the timid woman next to him. “She’s pretty, kind and selfless,” Jiyong started and thought carefully. “She would help out anyone who’s in need.” Taeyeon turned to face him, her eyes peering into Jiyong’s own. He smiled in return, as if confirming that his words were true.

 

“Okay, you sound alright Mr Kwon. I never liked Leeteuk anyway,” ceded Tiffany, walking towards her bedroom taking her work bag with her. “Let’s leave those two alone Seohyun.”

 

Seohyun nodded and walked past Tiffany’s door to enter her own bedroom. “Unnie, the editor told you to call her when you have time tonight,” informed Seohyun.

 

“Alright, I’ll call her tonight,” Taeyeon then paused as she looked over to Jiyong. “Let’s go into my room before anything else happens,” she whispered.

 

Seohyun then stopped in her movement after considering the situation. . “You might be busy tonight though?” She looked over at Jiyong, then Taeyeon expectantly.

 

“No no! It’s not like that!” denied Taeyeon. “I’ll call the editor tonight.” Seohyun left the living room upon hearing Taeyeon’s confirmation.

 

“Let’s go,” Taeyeon said, gritting her teeth. She pushed the startled Jiyong into her room, opening the door.

 

Jiyong entered to find an absolute mess greeting his eyes. .

 

All sorts of clothes were strewn across the floor - shirts, socks and even undergarments. Filled sketchbooks filled the areas in between, completely masking the grey carpeted floor. A strong sour stench wafted over Jiyong’s nose as he noticed the numerous cups of old ramen occupying her nightstand. Beside one of the walls were several canvas’ on top of each other with a variety of artwork. A singly lit desk occupied other wall, with all kinds of artistic tools present - ranging from paints to charcoal sticks.

 

‘Aren’t girls meant to be tidy?” remarked Jiyong sarcastically. From the numerous women he had visited, this bedroom was in the worst state he had seen yet.

 

Ignoring him, Taeyeon moved to pick up a few pieces of clothing scattered near her bed. “I’m going to change in the toilet.” Taeyeon then paused briefly before continuing. “It’s not like I was expecting guests today.”

 

Jiyong quietly nodded in response as his eyes follo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter