Phonecalls

The Set Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 17 - Phonecalls

Jiyong's Apartment, Seoul Galleria Forest - 7:14PM

“So, how’s the food then?” asked Jiyong, grinning at the woman beside him. “Better than your porridge right?”

“It’s okay,” replied Taeyeon dryly, placing her now empty bowl down. “I don’t think it compares to my masterpiece this morning.”

“I’m sure that’s true,” replied Jiyong sarcastically, smirking at the prideful lady. “Anyway, I’ll do the washing up.” He rose up from the sofa before he was stopped.

“I’ll do it,” insisted Taeyeon, pulling the man to sit beside her again. “You’re ill.”

“I’m fine now. I’ve fully recovered,” Jiyong claimed, smiling gently at the worried Taeyeon.

His happy expression suddenly changed to one of shock when he felt the woman’s hand. Her small fingers were placed gently on his forehead, the small distance allowing Jiyong to inhale her sweet flowery scent. He carefully watched her as she placed her other hand on her own forehead, in order to feel the difference of temperature between the two. formed a frown as she came to her conclusion.

“You’re still slightly warm,” Taeyeon said, taking her hands off Jiyong and standing up, leaving the stunned man behind. She picked up the bowls scattered around the table and went over to the kitchen. “You should get some more rest.”

“I just woke up,” whined Jiyong childishly. The sounds of running water and the scrubbing of the tableware came alive from the kitchen. “At least let me spend some time awake before I go back to bed.”

“Alright,” accepted Taeyeon, placing the dishes onto the drying rack before returning to the sofa. “Did you talk about me to your friend Seunghyun?”

“Why?” replied Jiyong, cocking his eyebrow at the curious girl. “Sorry, but he’s a married man.” He grinned teasingly as he watched the woman’s eyes widen at the implied accusation.

“No no!” cried Taeyeon flusteredly. “I mean, he’s the one who owned that art gallery right?” She rubbed her hands together nervously as she tried to muster some courage.

“Oh, I see,” understood Jiyong. “I’ve already asked him to have a look at your work. He said he’ll have a look for sure.” He picked up his phone and then flicked through it.

She simply nodded, grateful for Jiyong’s help.

“Here, take his number,” insisted Jiyong, handing Taeyeon his phone with Seunghyun’s contact page open. “Give him a call and arrange a meeting. He said he’s thinking about holding a charity exhibition soon for upcoming artists in Seoul. You might be able to get your name in there.”

Taeyeon frantically inputted the number into her own phone and then handed it back Jiyong’s phone, bowing and mouthing ‘thank you’.

“But yeah, don’t just rely on me though,” warned Jiyong. “Seunghyun is strict. If your work isn’t up to snuff he won’t take it regardless of what I say.”

“That’s okay,” Taeyeon said, finally speaking up. “If I am given the opportunity I at least have to prove my own worth. I have to earn it.” Her eyes burned with determination and bravery, to which Jiyong could only chuckle at.

“That’s my girl,” he chided, ruffling her blonde hair.

“Hey,” warned Taeyeon, pouting cutely. “Don’t make fun of me.”

“Don’t worry. I know you’ll be able to impress him regardless,” reassured Jiyong, smiling softly at the woman beside him whose smile was growing.

Ring ring.

“Oh!” cried Taeyeon, opening her handbag to find the source of the ringtone. She frantically fumbled with the contents until she found her phone and placed it beside her ear to answer. “Hello?”

“Oh hi mother,” followed Taeyeon after a brief pause. “Yes, I’ve already begun looking for a present for dad.”

There was a flurry of small laughs and chatter as the two people on the phone began to exchange stories. Jiyong lazily watched her in the corner of the room, losing interest until an interesting question came up.

“Tiffany and Seohyun? I’m not with them right now mum,” answered Taeyeon nervously. “Where am I then? Well...”

Jiyong suddenly grinned as he hatched a scheme and quickly got up to take the phone from the hesitant Taeyeon.

“Hey!” she cried, turning to face the grinning Jiyong upon the phone being snatched out of her hand.

“Hello mother?” greeted Jiyong, placing the phone on speaker. Beside him Taeyeon had a horrified look on her face and began trying to wrestle the mobile phone back. Jiyong maneuvered side to side to avoid her scrappy attempts. “It’s me, Jiyong. Taeyeon’s boyfriend. Do you remember me?”

“Oh Jiyong! Of course I remember you,” the woman on the phone gleefully replied. “How are you? Have you eaten yet?”

He laughed heartedly at the cheerful mother. “I have, although no thanks to your daughter though,” Jiyong chuckled. “She tried to make me porridge this morning, but it was too salty! You should teach your daughter how to cook properly.”

“I tried my best!” argued Taeyeon playfully. “You still ate the entire bowl so it must’ve been decent.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter