Second Time

The Set Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8 - Second TIme

 

Seoul Arts Centre - 8:42AM

Today was Monday - her first day at work for the new project. She arrived at the Seoul Arts Centre, wearing a black blazer and a light blue shirt. Sunye was already hard at work in the large room.

“Taeyeon, you’re here!” beamed Sunye. “I’m just getting things ready.”

Taeyeon nodded. “What should I do?” She glanced around the area and saw palettes filled with different acrylic paints, small pots with all sizes of brushes all dotted around several large canvas’ around the room.

“Just help me get things set up, we need another one or two stations,” requested Sunye. “We are expecting a lot of children today.”

Taeyeon nodded and quickly got to work. Schoolchildren in the area would be coming in later to participate in the painting event. They had planned for the kids to work collaboratively on small themed paintings, and prizes would be awarded for the best painting. It was a task that required creativity, teamwork and passion for them to succeed. Afterwards they would ask the children to sign up for a final project - to draw a wall mural for the newly opening children's centre in the building. Through this they hoped some of the children would discover their talent and passion for art, and to nurture it in the future. She was busy carefully dispensing the paints into the small circular palettes when a shadow came over to her.

“Boo!"

She jumped at the sudden sound, turning around to find a youthful man with a mischievous grin. They already felt like they were close, despite this being only their second time meeting.

“It’s me Noona, did I surprise you?” he joked, scratching the back of his head.

“Baekhyun!” cried Taeyeon, relieved that it was only him. “How’s your side going?”

“Done. We’re just waiting for the school coaches to arrive,” he answered, looking around the room. “How close are you guys to being done?”

“Almost, another 5 minutes,” answered Taeyeon. “What’s the plan for the musical kids event?”

“We’re setting up small groups, and giving them some simple instruments with a guide. We’ll have them all play at the end, and give a prize to the best group,” he explained. “I’ll bet it’ll be a fun day for the children. A lot of them play their own music, or even get to touch an instrument.”

Taeyeon smiled understandingly. In society there was an unsaid social stigma against people of their trade - those who pursued their passions instead of succumbing to societal norms. It was considred a waste of money to be invested in the arts in the highly competitive city of Seoul. Unless you were extremely fortunate your time would be better dedicated to studying traditional subjects many adults thought. Unless you were very well accomplished you would get approached by others asking ‘Why don’t you go for a real job instead?’ or ‘I think it’s about time you grow up and pursue a career,’ at least a few times. It was a struggle to keep one’s head high amongst the condescending thoughts.

It would be up to the next generation to solve this, with their untainted perception. If they could understand the beauty of the arts, hopefully they would be more accepting. Through this project they hoped to not only nurture artistic talent in the young children but to foster a healthy attitude towards the creative arts.

“I hope it goes well,” Taeyeon solemnly said. “I’m a bit worried though, I don’t know how to look after so many kids.” It wasn’t like Taeyeon didn’t like kids - but rather she was quite scared of them. Children these days were very perceptive and could be quite straightforward.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll be fine,” encouraged Baekhyun. “If you need anything I’ll be in the room across the hall ok?”

Taeyeon nodded obediently and their conversation was then struck short by the sounds of the murmuring of children and the clanking of their feet.

“Noona, it seems like we’re starting. I’ll be going now!” waved Baekhyun excitedly, leaving Taeyeon in the large room.

She sighed as she prepared herself for the long day ahead of her.

*

The afternoon was coming to a close and the schoolchildren had already left the centre. Now across the room many of the canvas’ were filled with all kinds of different paintings - from landscapes, wildlife and the winning painting of their beloved classroom back at school. The technical details wasn’t the best, but the childish emotions and innocence only found at that young age were clearly expressed in the artwork. It also made Taeyeon realise where she could improve her own artwork, and to try to capture the vital essence of childhood she missed when it came to her illustrations. Her smile was unfading, overjoyed at the brilliance the kids had shown today. They were truly inspirational to her as well. She had collected a good number of signature from children who wanted to also participate in the wall mural project. They had another two days to go of inviting school children to the arts centre - she was sure to break the expected number of signatures for the mural.

“Taeyeon Noona!” called Baekhyun, coming through the door. “Wow, you did a good job from the looks of it.”

“You should’ve of seen some of them. They were so talented,” Taeyeon attributed. A sadness hit her as she recalled some of the children’s words. “Some of them were amazed at how you could mix the paints for colour, something as basic as that.”

“Well, that’s what we’re here for right? And I told you you’d be great,” consoled Baekhyun, coming closer to Taeyeon. He extended his graceful hands, holding a small can of instant coffee. “Coffee? Ah, let me open it first.” The tab was flicked open with a hiss and he passed the beverage to Taeyeon.  

“Thanks,” she accepted gratefully. She took the coffee and drank it - she was parched and didn’t realise it until now. “The kids were just so kind. How did your side go?”

“Great! One of the groups made a really good piece - a few of them had some kind of musical experience before.” he replied. “If they had a bit more finesse or if I tweaked it a bit we could use it for the final song. Children are really capable these days aren’t day?”

“Yeah, they really are.” answered Taeyeon.

“Ah Noona, come to my room. I thought of a melody whilst listening to the children’s. I want you to listen to it first, you said you liked slow songs right?” requested Baekhyun, pleading with his large eyes.

Taeyeon laughed at his cute begging, and walked with him across the room to the small hall kitted with music equipment. Baekhyun sat himself on an electronic Yamaha keyboard, and gestured for Taeyeon to sit next to him. He began moving his light fingertips across the black and white keys, and then music resonated through the room. Airy delicate tones greeted Taeyeon's ears as she allowed herself to flow in the dreamlike melody. When Baekhyun stopped playing Taeyeon felt an overwhelming happiness for her friend.

“It’s good. Are you sure you’re the one who composed this, and not the children?” teased Taeyeon, playfully nudging her elbow into him.

“Trust me, I’m good at what I do,” Baekhyun proudly boasted. “Is there anything you want me to play?” He turned to face the woman with her head tilted to the side, who was thinking over her options.

“Do you know that song from the drama My Lovely Sam Soon? It’s from a few years ago, there’s a song there called She Is,” requested Taeyeon, shy about talking about one of her favourite songs.

“Of course! It’s a good song,” agreed Baekhyun. “You know Noona, that drama was about a relationship between a younger guy and an older woman too. Hyun Bin and Sun Ah were really cool in that drama. Are you trying to tell me something?” He teasingly smiled back at the flustered Taeyeon, who waved away the notion.

“No no!” cried Taeyeon defiantly. That was the last thing on her mind, but rebelliously her cheeks already grew crimson red.

 

“Don’t worry Noona, You’re ten times prettier than Kim Sun Ah,” chuckled Baekhyun at the embarrassed woman.

“Shut up, you’re no Hyun Bin thank you very much!” retaliated Taeyeon.

“Hey, Hyun Bin back then wasn’t that good looking. Surely I’m better than he was back then.” sulked Baekhyun, looking for sympathy.

 

“Even if he was just born he would be better looking than you,” taunted Taeyeon. “Just get playing.”

And music sprung from Baekhyun’s finger tips again, enveloping the room sweetly again. Good-natured jabs were traded between the two between the sounds of the keyboard, Another hour had passed between the two, making fun of each other and enjoying the other’s presence.

*

Seoul Arts Centre - 4:12PM

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter