Earnestly In Love With You

Earnestly In Love With You

Chapter 3 

 

“It’s about time you got here.” Minho admonished his friend, as soon as Jaejoong walked up to him, “I have been sitting here liked a fool for half an hour, wondering if you were going to show up.” 

 

“Sorry man.” Jaejoong grinned as he grasped his friend’s broad shoulder, “Got caught up in traffic. I forgot how bad it could get.” 

 

“Forget about it. Order something to drink and we can start shooting some pool. Not that I mind being married but it feels good to get out and do guy things once in a while.” Minho smiled at two girls who had been looking at them, “Checked them out. Liked either one of them? Want to go over and say hi?” 

 

“Minho.” Jaejoong pretended to be in shocked, “I can’t believe you are flirting with those girls. I’m going to tell your wife about this.” 

 

“Hush Jaejoong. It’s just a little harmless flirting, it’s not liked I’m going to asked them out or anything. Besides, someone’s got to do something here since you are obviously not making any effort to meet any girls.” 

 

The girl in the park flashed across Jaejoong’s mind and he couldn’t helped but smiled. 

 

“What is it?” Minho immediately noticed his friend’s dreamy expression, “Don’t tell me you are holding out on your best friend. Have you met someone? What’s her name? When do I get to meet her?” 

 

Jaejoong blushed for being so obvious. He settled himself on a barstool next to his friend, “Well actually, I don’t even know her.” He told Minho about what happened. 

 

“Are you crazy? You finally found someone whom you are interested in and you let her get away? I thought you know better than that.” Minho was shaking his head by now, “Remember our motto? In the game of loved, you have to play earnestly, you can’t be afraid to get hurt or rejected or you might as well quit from the game.” 

 

Jaejoong almost choked on the beer he was drinking, “I can’t believe you still remember that crap! That was something we made up after losing that girl in high school.” 

 

“That motto served me well.” Minho gave his friend an affronted looked, “Remember how hard it was to get Sooyoung to even noticed that I was alive? I gave it all man, held nothing back and every single thing I did was well worth it. Looked at me now, happily married to the best woman in the world." 

 

“Well then, I guess I’m out of luck since you already have the best woman in the world. I’m going to have to settle for second best then.” 

 

Minho gave his buddy a conk on the head, “Since when did you start taking everything I say literally?” 

 

But Jaejoong wasn’t paying any attention to his friend anymore. She’s here. That girl from the park was really here. Then as if the sky suddenly darkened with no warning, everything went crazy for Jaejoong. His heart started thumping wildly and his palms started sweating. He blindly d for his beer and up-ended it, chugging it down liked there was no tomorrow. 

 

“Jaejoong? What’s the matter with you?” Minho asked worriedly. 

 

“She’s here.” Jaejoong whispered conspiratorially. 

 

“Who’s here?” Minho whispered back, while looking around the room, “Are you hiding from some persistent female admirer?” 

 

“No. She's here.” Jaejoong lowered his head when the girl walked by them. 

 

Minho looked around curiously, “Are you talking about the woman in the black and grey sweater dress?" Jaejoong looked at his friend, thinking that Minho was going nuts. What woman in black and grey? Then he noticed a girl was sitting alone at the end of the bar, staring at them, “Are you crazy? I don’t even know her. I was talking about her.” Jaejoong pointed with his eyes. 

 

“You mean the one wearing a light grey tunic sweater with dark skinny jeans and black buckle knee high boot? She doesn’t seem interested in you.” Minho was still working on the idea that Jaejoong was hiding from someone, “Besides, I think she already has a boyfriend.” 

 

“What boyfriend?” Minho was surprised at his friend’s hostile tone. 

 

“Jaejoong, could you kindly explained what’s going on here?” 

 

“It’s the girl from the park.” Jaejoong said in awe. 

 

“Wow. You got it bad, man.” Minho smiled at this friend. He’s never seen Jaejoong act anything liked this before, “Why don’t you go talked to her? Introduced yourself?” 

 

“I...” What if she really was here with her boyfriend? Should he just let things be and still be able to maintained the illusion of being with her? No, Minho was right. He has to give it all or he would never be able to forgive himself, “Two more beers please.” Jaejoong told the bartender. 

 

“Jaejoong, you are not thinking about getting drunk, are you? I'm sure that the girl would have a great impression upon meeting an intoxicated guy for the first time.” 

 

“I'm not getting drunk.” Jaejoong answered indignantly, “Look, I think they are going to play some pool. Here.” He shoved one of the mugs towards Minho, “Let go there and pretend to play while I figured out how to talked to her.” As things turned out, it wasn’t that difficult to find an opportunity to talked to her. The guy she was with was starting to get pushy and she was trying her best to fend him off. 

 

“The lady asked you to leave her alone.” Jaejoong came to her defense right away. 

 

“This is none of your business buddy, now be a good boy and split.” The obnoxious guy said. 

 

Jaejoong got closer with Minho right behind him, “Sorry, can’t do that. Miss.” Jaejoong addressed the lady, for the first time, “Don’t worry about anything. We will take care of this for you.” 

 

“I told you to mind your own business.” The guy took a wild swing at Jaejoong that was easily avoided. 

 

“Tsk, tsk, tsk. Getting violent, aren’t we?” Jaejoong gave a feral grinned as he taunted the guy some more, “Is that all you have got? You got to do better than that.” Adrenalin was flowing and Jaejoong felt liked he could handle anything right now. 

 

“Please stopped this?” The girl spoke up. 

 

The guy knew he couldn’t take on two opponents at the same time and chose to vent his angered out on the girl instead. Luckily, Jaejoong was able to anticipate the guy’s move and was able to stepped in between him and the girl but unluckily, he wasn't able to duck the punch this time. 

 

“No!” The girl screamed, as Jaejoong went down. The bar’s security rushed in and removed the guy before he could do anymore damage. 

 

“Are you alright?” Minho rushed to his friend’s side. The girl was still standing close by, looking shell-shocked. Jaejoong shook his head to clear his vision, “Yeah, I’m fine.” Then he remembered the girl, “Are you alright Miss?” He stood up and walked towards her. The girl nodded meekly. Jaejoong grimaced as he tried to smiled, that oaf sure packed a powerful punch, “I’m Kim Jaejoong and this is my friend, Choi Minho.” His face might hurt right now and his teeth might feel liked they were going to fall out but it was well worth it. At least he got rid of the guy and was now talking to the girl of his dreams. 

 

The girl placed a gentle hand on his cheek, “You are hurt.” She murmured worriedly, “I'm sorry for getting you involved in this.” 

 

“It’s ok.” Jaejoong whispered, as he reverently held her hand against his face. He didn’t even noticed that the girl was trying to pulled her hand back. He would gladly get punched any day as long as she would stay closes to him, “Jaejoong, I think the lady wants her hand back.” Minho stepped in. He smiled at the girl, “Please excuses my friend. He always get liked this whenever he’s near a beautiful woman.” 

 

The girl started to blushed furiously, “Minho. Looked at what you have done.” Jaejoong was horrified over Minho’s words, “Miss.” He said apologetically, “I should say excuses my friend. He has the sensitivity of a doorknob.” He was relieved when he saw her brownish pink lips slightly curl into a beginning of a smiled, “Um. What’s your name? I think telling me your name is the least you could do after my hard encountered with a knuckle sandwich.” Jaejoong coaxed. 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry.” The girl really smiled this time, brightening up her eyes, “Now it’s my turned to apologize. My names Yuri.” 

 

“Now that we have all apologized to each other, why don’t we get a table and have some dinner? Boy, am I glad you took that punch instead of me.” Minho turned to Jaejoong, “Sooyoung would never forgive me if I got hurt.” 

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes while Yuri thought it was sweet. They were lucky enough to find a decent table and Minho waived for a waitress, “Guys, thank you for all you have done but I really must get going.” Yuri spoke up. 

 

“No, wait.” Jaejoong panicked. Then his mind froze. He couldn’t think of anything else to say to make Yuri stay. He felt liked a fool with two pair of eyes waiting for him to continued, “Was that your boyfriend?” Jaejoong felt liked kicking himself. 

 

Yuri thought that was none of their business, even though they did helped her out and was about to say so when Minho came to the rescue again, “Jaejoong was just curious. Just looked at that shiner. It’s going to take a week for it to heal.” Minho always thought that guilt and pity was the most effective method when it came to getting a girl, “Yes, he was in a way.” And she left it at that, causing the guys to pondered on her ambiguous answered, “I really should get going though.” 

 

“But it’s still early.” Jaejoong protested, right away, “I will take you home later. I mean, so you don’t have to take a public transportation. I mean, I know you don’t know me but I'm a good guy and my friend could vouch for he is married so he is a good guy.” He rushed the words out, belatedly realizing that he once again, made a fool out of himself, “So, won’t you stay and have dinner with us?” He forced the words out while the two looked at him incredulously. 

 

“Man, liked I said, you really got it bad.” Minho laughed, releasing the tension. He pulled Yuri's hand, making her take a seat, “Don’t worry, that’s not how Jaejoong usually acts. He just likes you a lot.” 

 

Yuri smiled at that while Jaejoong glared at his friend, “Shut up Minho! No one told you to say anything.” 

 

“I figured I had better do the talking since it seems liked all you have been doing is sticking your foot in your mouth. Jaejoong owns a trading company that’s fast becoming one of the most well known one in Korea.” Minho looked at his friend, silently asking him to do something. When Jaejoong just sat there staring at him, he prompted, “Give Yuri one of your business cards.” 

 

“Oh yeah, that’s right.” Jaejoong fumbled for his wallet and pulled out his card triumphantly, “Here you go Yuri.” He handed it to her with flourish. 

 

“And here’s my card. I worked as a production manager for the Kwon Corporation. I’m sure you have heard of this company. It’s the largest microchip production company in this country.” 

 

Yuri's eyes widened as she stared at the card. Minho actually worked for her father? Talked about small worlds. Their food arrived and they ended up having a nice relaxing dinner until it was time to go. 

 

“Really Jaejoong-ssi, you don’t have to drive me home. I will just take a cab.” Yuri was still not comfortable about having a guy she barely met drive her home. 

 

“But...” Minho gave Jaejoong a warning looked, ‘Don’t pushed it.’ He indicated silently, “Can I at least get your phone number?” Heedless of any possible consequences, Jaejoong decided to lay his cards on the table, “I would liked to see you again.” Helpless, Jaejoong felt helplessly fascinated with this woman he had just met. 

 

“Maybe next time.” Yuri gave a brief smiled and dashed out of the door. 

 

“Wow. Liked I said, you really got it bad. Do you think you will ever see her again?” 

 

“Yes, I definitely will.” Jaejoong answered positively. 

 

“You sound so sure of yourself. How are you supposed to do that? You don’t even have her last name.” 

 

“I saw a rainbow today.” Jaejoong broke into a wide grinned, making his friend think that he had really gone over the edge this time.