Choices

Too Much That It Hurts

It's SEMIFINAL already. One chapter more and this story will end. Thank you for all your atention, guys! :")

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Thank you very much, birthday girl!” Yuri, Tiffany, and Taeyeon said together from the inside of Yuri’s car.

“You’re very welcome, guys!”

 

They have just sent Jessica and Krystal home after being treated free lunch by the birthday girl. Earlier in the morning, well not too early because they knew Jessica would hate to wake up early, they gave the girl a little surprise party and cake in Choi Residence according to Krystal’s instruction. They had a lot of fun and lovely friendship chat.

After waving each other and seeing the car just left, the Jung sisters turned around towards the front door. As she walked, Jessica frowned at the still absence of Sooyoung’s bicycle in the park. She hasn’t seen the nerd from the time she just woke up until now. Even after they had finished their so called birthday party, she hadn’t seen the presence of the girl. And as they went out to the restaurant for her birthday treat, noticing Sooyoung’s bicycle wasn’t on its place made her remember the date Yoona asked her on the day before.

 

How idiot I am to wish for her to realize my birthday when she’s exactly with someone else. Jessica smiled weakly at her own thought.

 

“Unnie, what’re you doing?” Krystal looked back as she realized that her unnie had just stopped and busy watching the air blankly.

“Nothing.” Jessica answered fast before following her sister going inside.

 

As they entered the house, Krystal started running towards Jessica room after mumbling, “Ugh, I need to pee.” which made her unnie laugh and shook her head before following her traces.

 

 

As she arrived in her room, she walked to her table to find the air conditioner remote. Just then she notice that there was just a regular sized envelope beside the remote. She opened it and found a train card and a piece of folded paper inside. Jessica started taking out and unfolding the paper as she sat on the chair. There she found some notes.

 

Good afternoon Jessica, or Sica, well if I still have the right to call you by that again.

I sent this to you by my consciousness about our relationship (or whatever you might call it). I had left you hanging for months and when I asked to end all, you rejected, and then I stupidly left you before making it clear.

So, today I want to offer you a little journey, to meet me and talk it over. We will talk until we have the agreement of where we will go after this, our lives’ ways.

But you can choose tho, whether you will go or no. I can understand if you hate me too much to see my face, for what I had done. If you don’t have any will just torn this letter and throw it out. I know I don’t deserve your attention.

But if by chance, you still have a heart to talk to me, please do. Please come to the orphanage where we had been before. Use my train card to get there, and if in case you don’t remember the road, I had drawn a simple map behind this paper. One more thing, bring your casual sliding bag with you, I guess you’ll need it.

You always have your choice, Sica.

I’ll be standing in the end.

 

CSY

 

 

Without much thinking, Jessica quickly folded the paper, took her sliding bag, then threw the letter in there along the train card that she’s just put in her wallet. After changing into more comfortable t-shirt, she slung the bag and ran towards out of the door. But at that time, Krystal was out from the bathroom. Curious with how her unnie acted in a rush, she shouted at her from the door.

 

“Unnie! Where’re you going again?”

“Somewhere!” Jessica answered after resisting her next steps.

“By what?”

“Train!”

“WHAT??”

“Tell auntie Choi, I’ll be home later!”

 

And by that she left her dongsaeng who still didn’t believe what she has just seen. She looked at the sun that was shining so bright from the window. Strange. Her unnie, the Jessica Jung, who was afraid of being melted, who was just whining all along the walk from the restaurant to Yuri’s car because of the sun light. That princess has just left to the somewhere by train? And not to say that she was also running! Running, dude? My unnie doesn’t do running!

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV

Ting tong! Ting tong!

After spending quite some times in the train and walking a bit, I finally arrive in front of the orphanage. I must say that Sooyoung’s map helped me a lot, since on the first day we went here she was the one who leaded the way. What I’ve been doing that time was just holding my heart not to jump out of my chest because Sooyoung’s fingers intertwined with mine.

The door finally opened, showing Auntie Kim who is smiling brightly at me.

“You are finally here, Sweety. Let’s come in!” She then puts her arms over my shoulder and guides me in gently, before shouting to the house. “Yorobeun! Jessica is here!”

 

By the call, I hear some noisy sounds from the kitchen before finally Byungjae comes out with strawberry cheese cake with candles on top of it in his hands. Behind him, the other kids follow while starting to sing.

 

 

“Saengil chukkahamnida… Saengil chukkahamnida….

Saranghaneun Jessica noona/unnie….

Saengil chukkahamnida….”

 

 

Surprised after seeing the scene, I close my mouth which is gasping wide with my both palms. The kids walk towards me and signal me to blow the candles, which I quickly do. Byungjae suddenly pecks my lips after that, making me widen my eyes.

“Saengil chukkahae, cold noona!” He said while smirking.

“Yah! Naughty boy!”

 

 

After a while, we’re sitting together in the dining table. Sharing the cake to each other while chatting. Sending a slice of cake to Chorong who sits next to me, I ask.

“How do you know that it was my birthday?”

“Sooyoung unnie told us before.” She answers while starting to have her meal.

I smile hearing that. So she knows it. And then I realize about the journey. I look around me, wondering if she is here.

“She is here, right?” I ask Chorong again.

“She was.”

 

Just then Byungjae comes and sits beside me, before handing me two boxes. One of them is a transparent lunch box which I can see sandwiches inside of it. The other is a smaller brown box with a small ‘1’ written on it and a small envelope on top of it.

 

“Sooyoung unnie have made these sandwiches earlier and ask me to give it to you along with the other box and the letter inside the envelope.”

 

Another note?

 

Quickly I put the boxes on the table and take out the letter.

 

 

Do you remember when I told Chorong that you hate cucumbers? Then you ask me how I knew. Well I’m telling you now.

That day, even I myself didn’t realize how I was able to know. I didn’t realize that those days before that, I’ve unconsciously been watching you, stalking you. You might think I’m scary. I even didn’t know if I am. Everything about you has been running around in my brain, even when the first time we met. Even when we were still a pair of enemies that hated each other. Do you remember those days?

 

I smile. Of course I remember.

 

It’s strange that I’ve been remembering all the things about you. What you like and what you dislike. What you’d prefer to do or not. What you’d prefer to wear or not. What you’d prefer to eat or not. I saw what you do, how you do, every time you do, and it glued on my mind. I kept remembering. I kept being reminded of you.

 

Me too.

 

Sica, thanks for choosing to come.

This time I want to give you another choice. Whether to continue or end the journey here and back home right now. I told you, you always have your choice, you always.

If you choose to continue this, please go to the place I once make you wait so long under the rain, in front of our school.

Bring the tuna sandwich (with no cucumbers clearly) with you, you can eat them in case you’ll be bored in the train later. And with the brown box, just bring it with you and don’t open it yet. I’ll tell you to open it when the time comes.

I’ll be standing in the end.

 

CSY

 

 

Still smiling, I fold the paper and place it back to the envelope then putting the boxes into my bag. As I slide my bag, Byungjae grabbed my clothes.

“You’re going already?”

“Neh.” I say while bowing a little to balance his height.

“You are not going to play with us?” Seohyun joins him, pouting. I caress her hair.

 

“I will. With your Sooyoung unnie, next time I’ll come here.”

 

By that, I say goodbye to the kids and walk outside, ready for continue the so called journey. But before I take another step, I take a slice of the sandwiches and start biting it. Just then I walk again with a big smile plastered on my face.

 

 

 

Author’s POV

It’s already 8PM when the girl finally has seen arriving in front of the school. The trip from the orphanage took so long and made her tired. But she was still willing to continue the journey Sooyoung’s offered her.

It was already dark and cold. She looked at around her and try so hard to find the nerd girl, or maybe some other clues. But then she didn’t find any of them, making her sigh.

Suddenly someone called her name, shouting from a quite far behind.

 

“Jessica!” It was Taeyeon, standing by the front door of a coffee shop just across the school. She waved at the American, signaling her to come, which Jessica quickly implied.

 

As they walked inside the coffee shop, there was Tiffany, already sitting in a table slurping her hot tea. She raised her face as she saw Jessica.

“You’re finally here!” She smiled.

“Finally?” Jessica asked her best friend as she and Taeyeon took chairs for their selves to sit.

 

“Sooyoung asked us to wait for you. She said that you’ll be in front of the school get by the time.” Taeyeon answered, making Jessica smiled again hearing the girl’s name.

 

“And?” Jessica asked.

“What ‘and’?” Tiffany asked again.

“Where is she? Or, did she leave something for me by chance?”

“Oh, that-“

 

In the time, a waitress came to their table, bringing a jacket, a drinking bottle, and again, a small brown box with ‘2’ on it, not forgetting the letter on top of it.

“Are you by chance Jessica Jung?” She asked Jessica.

“Neh. Wae?”

“A girl told me before to give you all these things. And by the way the thermos is filled with hot chocolate, please enjoy.” The waitress smiled.

Jessica smiled back seeing what they were, especially when she saw the thermos. It was her birthday gift for Sooyoung. A drinking bottle with Woody’s picture.

 

“Thank you.” She said before the waitress nodded and turned around.

 

Not minding Tiffany and Taeyeon’s eyes which seemed curious by all the things laid on the table, Jessica pour a little of hot chocolate to the cup and started to slurp it. While waiting for it to turn a little colder, she open the next note Sooyoung’s left her.

 

 

How it felt like when you were waiting for me for hours under the rain, Sica? I always want to know that.

I’ll tell you a story from my side that day. I don’t care if you later think that I’m just making excuses.

 

That day, that morning, I was so mad with you. I was so mad because Yuri said that she got back together with you. I was hating her. I was hating you so much at that time. So then I tried to ignore and avoid you along the school time.

But when you messaged me and asked me to meet there, I couldn’t contain the happiness. I wished that we could get back to where we were before that. I wished that you still need me. I wished to let go off my anger just because I want to see you.

But unfortunately I couldn’t. Yoona asked me to send her home. And then, how my phone battery dead just after I replied your first message, making me stress. But thinking that I just say that I couldn’t meet you, I thought that you would just go home. But no.

When I finally realize that you were probably still waiting for me, I kept my bike in the quick pace to where you were, under the rain. I wanted to see you, that much.

 

I wanted to see you too, much more then you did maybe.

 

You collapsed just the time I came. I brought you to the hospital, drenched in rain, drenched in tears.

 

Jessica’s eyes glistening at the thought of it. The tears threatened to fall.

 

And then again, there, in the hospital, I met Yuri, and we had some fights. She hated me for what I did to you. I know. I even hate myself, even until now. So when she punched me, I welcomed it. I thought it could erase all my sins, all my mistakes, all my coward acts, all the pain I had caused you. I deserved all the hates and punches she did. I deserved all of them.

She told me that I didn’t deserve all the love you gave. She told me to get lost if what I’m gonna do next is just hurting you. And then I realize what she said was true. I kept hurting you by making you feel second best. I didn’t deserve you. You deserved someone more special, that was what I thought.

 

Just then, her tears started to fall.

 

But, Sica.

I want to know if we can talk it over. So we can both end these miseries, making the agreement that both of us will accept, that will be fair for both of us.

 

You’ve been waited in Incheon Airport, Terminal 2F. And just like before, take the brown box with you and don’t open it yet. I know it’s already night and cold when you read this, so wear my jacket I sent along with this letter. I don’t want you to feel cold like how you did that day.

 

But, Sica.

If you’re tired already listening my bulls, you can also stop here. You can leave me hanging the way I hung you so many times before. Go home and take your beauty sleep.

The choice is yours. But I’ll be standing in the end.

 

CSY

 

 

 

After taking some breaths for a while and wiping the tears that still left on her face, Jessica folded the letter and took some slurp of her hot chocolate.

“Jessie, are you okay?” Tiffany asked with worried voice and face, noticing her crying best friend.

Jessica just nodded and smiled a bit as she was wearing Sooyoung’s jacket.

“I’m going now. Thank you for the companion.” She said to the other two as she stood.

 

“Jessica/Jessie!” The girls startled her, making her stop before going.

 

“Wait..” Taeyeon said as she and Tiffany be ready to go too.

“Let’s go!” She said while standing.

 

“Eh?” Jessica looked at them questioningly.

 

 

“Sooyoung asked us to send you wherever you’ll want to go after this.”

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV

“Yah! Jessie! Wait!!!”

Tiffany shouted, but I just continue running towards the terminal 2F. Taeyeon and she keep following my paces from behind. I keep running, even quicken my step.

Why of all the places in the city, she wanted me to go to the Airport? Is our story going to end up like some heavy drama which the couple in the end get separated by the different country. Don’t say that she is going to go far from me. Just the thought that I can’t see her again makes my tears flow uncontrollably.

I stop a while to look at the flight list on the TV and wondering the place that might be a possible destination of her.

 

Rome?

Paris?

New York?

Madrid?

 

I glance at the time right now. It’s 10.45PM already. I continue running with my still-wet-cheeks. I’m so afraid I’ll be late to see her in the last time. What if she already flied? What if she didn’t wait for me and give up on the talk we should have had? What if she didn’t want to see me anymore?

 

 

I keep my speed and in no time finally I arrive at the destination.

 

“Yah! Jessica! I never know you can run that fast!” Taeyeon whines while painting after she and Tiffany arrive and stand beside me.

 

Quickly I look around. There are too many people here, waiting for their flight.

 

 

Where are you??

 

 

I want to see you!

 

 

Before my desperate state sends my tears to flow again, I hear a familiar voice.

 

“Unnie!! Where have you been?! I’ve been waiting for so long!”

 

When I turn my head, I look Krystal is pouting at me. Then beside her I see Yuri. In front of them are three huge suitcases.

“Our flight will be in 45 minutes! We have to check in first!” My dongsaeng grabs my wrist quickly, but I stop her.

 

“Our? What do you mean, Soojung-ah?”

 

Just then Yuri comes towards me and handing me a bucket of white rose and another brown box, again, with ‘3’ written on it and a note.

“I guess I don’t have to tell you who gave this.” She said while smiling.

 

I quickly open the letter, too curious to know what all of these mean.

 

 

Thank you very much for coming this far.

But if you’re thinking that I’ll be around the airport I’m sorry I’m not.

 

Sica.

I promise that this is the last choices I’m going to ask to you. After this, the small journey I offered you will soon over.

Tonight your sister, Krystal is going to go back to US.

 

I look at Krystal. Oh my God. I’ve just remembered that this is her last day here. All the things today made me forget everything. Sooyoung was made me forget everything.

 

And so is Yuri. She will finally go back there too. She told me that she will take her studying seriously from now on. That’s what you want her to do, right?

 

I smile and look at Yuri, before continue again.

 

So, Sica.

I’m offering you choices.

 

In the envelope, along with this letter, there is your passport and a ticket to US.

 

I widen my eyes and quickly check the envelope, and right, they’re there.

 

You have your choice.

You can fly there with them. I told Krystal before to pack your clothes and things in the suitcase and bring it with her, in case you want to join to go back. About the school things, don’t worry, I will talk with my eomma and tell her to tell your eomma too, so you’ll be transferred later.

You will be able to spend most of your time with your family, which I believe, you love so much. Yuri and Krystal too. I know, they have the power to make you happy, compared to me who never stop hurting you.

Once you choose to go with them, you can forget all of our memories. You can forget about me because I know I don’t deserve to be roaming on your mind. You can hate me and continue hating me. There you won’t see me again. You don’t have to be afraid of risking your life being hurt by me again.

 

And, Sica, that flowers.

They are my way of apologizing.

 

Even I know by myself that I don’t deserve any forgiveness from you, I want to keep apologizing. For all the hurts I caused you. For all the way I’ve made you feel. For all the tears fallen from your eyes.

 

They are also my way of thanking.

 

To tell you that I’m grateful for ever meeting you. That I’m thanking your parents for having you. That I’m thanking God of creating you. That I’m thanking you, to be alive. Because you are such a beautiful colors crossing my dark life. Thank you.

 

 

But, Sica.

Whatever it means for me doesn’t matter.

 

Because in the end it’ll be up to you.

 

If ever you choose to go to US, just throw away those flowers, along with the boxes I’ve given you. They have nothing to do if you already hate me. They’ll just be trashes if you keep them.

 

 

But, Sica.

If I by chance, given a chance to talk over about us. To try to make things right. Please save them and meet me. I’ll be there, on the road where you told me that you love me for the first time. There will be no more letters.

If you can make it before the day ends, I’ll be still standing there, waiting for you.

 

 

Sica.

Choose what makes you happy. Don’t have a pity on me, because I believe I don’t deserve any.

 

 

CSY

 

 

 

I look at the ticket and passport in my hand, then at Krystal and Yuri. And then I glance at my watch.

 

 

11.03 PM