Chanyeol - Fantasy

Green Nocturne

                I peek through the hole on my door to see the source of noises outside, and realize that someone just moved to the unit in front of mine. I try to spot the resident among the movers, and I find a tall, skinny man figure who’s directing where to move the boxes to the men. I can’t see his face clearly, but sooner or later I probably will.

                The next morning, as I go out I send a curious look to the door. I hope he’d be a decent neighbor. Or a silent one, at least. How many people are living there?

                The door knob moves, and I shudder, and immediately turn around, pretending to lock my already secured door. I hear footsteps coming out, and I slowly turn my head. This is it—

                The tall man I saw last night is really, actually tall—I need to look up to meet his eyes. I blink, and close my slightly parted lips. He has big, bright eyes that stare into your soul and a gigantic smile. I thought he looked skinny, but up close he’s sturdy and the way he dresses in jeans and jacket defines his build. , he’s hot.

                He smiles and bows. “Hello. Do you live there?”

                I needlessly glance at my door, and nod. “Ah, yes.”

                “I’m Park Chanyeol, I just moved there last night, in front of you. Nice to meet you.”

                My brain processes too long after seeing his reached out hand. I successfully have a handshake, and smile. I almost forget to say my name. “…nice to meet you too.”

                Unfortunately he will go to the opposite side of the corridor, and we part ways.

                I go to my morning class, and approach Haeryung, my classmate, right away. “A handsome guy just moved next door.”

                Haeryung doesn’t even look away from her phone. “So have you imagined your life with him?”

                “Yes. Our son will inherit his father’s height.”

                “Crazy bi—“ the professor comes into the class before Haeryung could finish her sentence.

*

For starters, probably we’ll meet in the convenience store next to this building. It’s either me who forgets the wallet, or him.

Jo Haeryung: Crazy.

Even taking out the trash together will be romantic.

Jo Haeryung: Lunatic.

Should I invite him for ramen?

Jo Haeryung: Insane.

 

                I laugh like a maniac to my phone screen, and instantly cover my mouth. My imaginations are running wild. I haven’t even met him again today, but I had created over a thousand drama-like scenarios of our future encounters. Maybe tomorrow will bring something.

*

                As I see the apartment building from afar on my way home, I get reminded on how I didn’t meet Park Chanyeol this morning. It’s not like I will never see him again though. But the urge to get closer to him is growing bigger.

                I’m walking up the stairs of the building’s entrance, and hear some commotion from inside. The door is open with a loud bang, and I almost pop my eyes out seeing the view. Park Chanyeol is dragged by two police officers each on his side, and Mrs. Min from the second floor is screaming obscenities on him.

                Chanyeol looks at me, and mouths my name. I’m too shocked to do anything else so I’m just holding onto the nearest wall, looking for an explanation in silence. “Sir, she lives in front of me! She can verify that I’m a resident here!” Chanyeol shouts. I end up wringing my hands, and take turn looking at Chanyeol, the officers, and Mrs. Min.

                “So did you move here just to peep on an old lady who lives alone? Sick young man!” Mrs. Min cries out. I have my mouth open, and my eyes meet Chanyeol’s again.

                “It’s a misunderstanding, really! I was just trying to go to the rooftop! Ask her, she’s my neighbor!”

                Chanyeol’s desperate plea scares me instead, as now I’m tangled to be his side. I barely know him, what if he’s really a ert? The police officer patting my shoulder brings me back to reality. “First of all, Miss, let’s talk in the office. Can you go with us?”

                The police office is only a few buildings away across our residence, and we go there by foot. I’m now trapped between Chanyeol and Mrs. Min arguing, quite literally as I’m sitting right on the middle of them. From Mrs. Min’s side, she said that she caught Chanyeol looking through her front ventilation just when she started undressing, and she didn’t believe when Chanyeol said he’s a resident there because the landlord isn’t there to confirm his contract.

                Finally my questioning is started by the officer. “Is it true that Mr. Park Chanyeol lives in front of your unit?”

                “Yes. He just moved two days ago... At night.”

                “Did you see him that time? When he was moving?”

                “Um… No—yes. It’s… I heard sounds from outside so I saw through the er—hole…” I awkwardly try to draw the peephole in the air with my hand. Now Chanyeol knows I kinda spied on him. “And the next morning, he greeted me. Also, about the rooftop—”

                I explain to them that there are two doors to the rooftop, and one is not supposed to be used since the stairs are located in the middle of the floor, which give people climbing up clear views to the inside of rooms around. Chanyeol still probably doesn’t know.

                The officers actually need to separate Chanyeol and Mrs. Min in different rooms since she’s still yelling at him despite my testimony, and I chose to stay with Chanyeol. That lady has never been known to be a pleasant individual anyway. They’re now trying to contact the landlord and the building security guard.

                We’re relocated to a small department room, and Chanyeol keeps rubbing his face, exhausted.

                “What a night.” I mutter. Being in the police office because the guy is accused to be a voyeur... Never in my wildest fantasies.

                Chanyeol lets out a forced laugh, and he turns to face me. “I’m really sorry. I swear I’m innocent.”

                “I believe in you.” I nod. “Unless proven otherwise.”

                Chanyeol laughs bitterly. “It’s just a bad day.”

                The officers finally succeeded to call the landlord, and thus Chanyeol is proven to be a resident. He also confirmed the rooftop issue. They concluded it to be a misunderstanding, and Mrs. Min huffs and puffs as she goes away from the office. Chanyeol and I look at the night outside, side by side, until Mrs. Min disappears from our sight.

                “We might run into her if we come back so soon.” Chanyeol says. “I also owe you for this. May I buy you dinner?”

                I try so hard not to overreact. “Sure.”