The Lost Laughter

Special Powers

Pie’s POV

What the hell just happened? I can’t think clearly. Who is Mike? What is his relation with Kim? When I was deep in my thoughts, she came out from her room and walked to the kitchen. She took a glass of water and drink it. She wears her uniform. She doesn’t use skirt, but pants. Sometimes I wonder why she can wear man’s uniform. Now she is in the balcony. She wears her mask. She didn’t talk to me, so I decided to talk to her first. “Kim? Where are you going? We have class at 11 am.”

“......” She was silent. She didn’t look at me and move even an inch.

“Kim? I had a bad feeling for you. I’m afraid I can’t see you after this.” I don’t know why I can speak like this. Why I must afraid I can’t see her? Should I be happy if she disappeared from my life?

“Tell Mario that I’ll meet him as soon as possible.” Her answer is not addressed to me. But somehow it was a bit answered my question. She turned her head to me and held out her thumb downward as if to say that I was loser. “Hey, polkadots! You’re going to regret the fact that you’ve come to this place on your own will, you optimistic fool.” After saying this, she left me alone. What the.. I just thought she was a nice person and it turns out I was so wrong. She is completely an evil.

Huft... I sighed. I have to prepared. The class is waiting for me.

I’ve finished showering and now I feel hungry. I remembered I had not eaten anything from last night. Kim... Is she okay? She had not eaten yet. I decided go to the kitchen. Checking if there’s something I can eat. Fortunately, I found bread. I ate it as much as I can. I don’t want to leave this bread for her. I want her to die of hunger!

I walked to the class. “Pieee!!” I heard Boy shouted.

“Boy!” I hugged him. I really miss my best friend. I let go of my arms, then I glanced at his chest. “Yo-you already have it! You’re Green!”

“I just got it this morning.” Boy said shyly. His face turned into red one.

“Tonight Boy already has his own room.” Van interupted. “He doesn’t need to stay at my place.”

“But, I love your room even more. It’s elegant and nice, not like my own room.” Boy pouted his lips.

“I wonder what colour would I get.” I stared at the floor. I worried that I can’t be accepted in this school.

“It’s okay, Pie. You’ll get it as soon as possible.” Van said to me. As soon as possible? Ah! I forgot tell Mario about Kim! I ran away. Leaving Van and Boy who saw me with a curious face.

I reached the class and looking for Mario. He was sitting in his seat. Beside him there’s a girl who stick around him. He doesn’t care about her. He his puppy that sitting on the table. I walked to them. “Mario..”

He was suprised to see me. “Pie? Where’s Kim?”

“Someone picked her up, a guy named Mike. She told me to tell you that she will meet you as soon as possible.”

He shocked. “Yo-you met Mike?”

“Who is Mike, Mario?” That girl interupted. She’s so curious. Her eyes told me that she didn’t like me.

“He is Kim’s teacher in Dangerous Class, Jane.” Mario explained.

I pulled up a chair and sat down in front of him. “Dangerous Class? What’s that mean?”

“Seriously? You’re new here, and you didn’t know anything about this school?” Now she looked at me in disbelief. I just shook my head, indicating that I didn’t know anything. “Geez. You are such an idiot. At this school, classes based on powers are separated into four types, where students explore their powers in their designated classes.”

“Four types? I’m sorry, I’m so confused.” What are those types? Is that neccessary?

“Well, it’s actually five categories. Most of the students are placed in the departements of predisposition, technology, and active. If you don’t fit into those three, you’re most likely in special.” Jane explained to me.

“Aahh... I don’t get any of it.”  

“Let me explain them briefly.” Yam interupted. She came near me. She pulled a chair and sit next to me. “The first one is Predisposition. Most people at the school are in this class. Most common powers belong to this class. All of them are traditional powers, so it’s most normal class, and everyone is very serious. Such as Clairvoyance, Teleportation, Power of Vision. Just like Boy, me and you, Pie. We’re in this category.”

“Wow! It’s amazing! So, we are in the same class? How about the others?”

“Nah, then it’s the Technology type. Just like its name, any experiment can create a power level. Most students are involved in their individual work, so it’s a more quiet class. Very individualistic! Such as making dolls and even giving them souls, songs played by flutists can heal or hurt, powers to draw animated pictures, ingradients turn out to have unexplainable effects. Van and Jane are in this type.”

It is a genius class. ”What power do you have, Jane?”

Jane stared at me. “I have cooking ability which gives power to animate or give life to my dishes. I also creating dishes with can generate various effects on the ones who eat them.”

“So, you love cooking right? Can you make me some then?” I looked at her with puppy eyes.

“Nah Pie, you can try her dishes next time.” Jane was not asnwering me. Yam did that. “Next is Active. That’s like Mario, more involved with pheromones or active alices. Such as Sonic Speed, Metamorphoses, Weightless Feet, manipulation of hearts through sound. As a benignant type, this power is not forced with inventions or practice, unlike other classes. The last one is Special Ability Class. Basically it’s for studets with powers that don’t fit in any of the other three classes. The powers are different and the class is mixed. As far as the speciality of the class, it could be described as chaotic or peculiar. Aunt Inn is the teacher of this type.”

“So, how about the Dangerous Class? I heard Mario said that she is in there.” I’m so curious about this one.

“That’s right. It’s an extra type. That class, it’s called Dangerous Class. No matter what type she originally is, if her attitude and power are considered Dangerous by the school, she will be in that class. It is very different from the other four classes, could be described as occult. What goes on there is a mystery. The class type has more or less something to do with the teacher in charge, but in that class, it’s even stronger.”

After Yam said it, both of us kept silent. I had so many questions on my head about Kim. I just knew her for two days, and there’s so many things I don’t know about her. Kim... She is king of mysteries. “Ah!” I remembered something. They were looking at me. “Why I can’t use my power to Kim? Why I can’t see her past?”

Suddenly, Boy interupted us. “Yeah me too. I can’t read her mind. What’s wrong with her?” I don’t even know Boy felt the same way.

They were looking each other. Mario was staring at me. Jane opened . “Of course, you can’t! Your power had absolutely no effect on her!”

Mario interupted. “Kim has another power. She can nullify any powers attacking on her, and protect herself.”

“Really? How it can be?” I was in amazed. After all this time, this is the answer why I can’t use my power to her. That’s why she became so mysterious for me.

“It’s not like it needs to overstated. In this school, there’s a lot people that have powers more than one. And for Kim, she has three powers.” Jane scold to me. 

“W-what?”

Before our conversation goes too far, someone opened the door. “Zee!” Mario shouted. He jumped from his chair. I turned my head to look who is Zee. At first, I thought she is a he. I realized that I was so wrong until I saw her wearing girls uniform. She is absolutely handsome. Her face looks like made by heaven. She smiled and came closer to us. “Why are you here? Are you feeling well?”

“Yeah. It just a fever. No need to take a long time.” She grinned. It made her looks cute. “Hi, Jane! How are you, my baby?”

“You’re so naughty, Zee.” Jane giggled. She stood up from her chair and hug her tightly. “I miss you so much. Why didn’t you tell me if you’re going to get out from hospital?”

Zee released Jane’s embrace. “I want it to be suprise!” Okay. I had enough watching this love birds. Zee noticed me that I was staring at them. “Hello, who are you?”

I just realize that she has earrings too. Why is everyone in here have that? Is it a tradition? “I am Pie. A new student in here.”

She looked shock. “Pie? Don’t tell me you are Kim’s partner!”

“Wait. What?!” I shocked

“Oh God! You didn’t know? You became famous after you was chosen to be Kim’s partner!”

“I didn’t get it. What do you mean by Kim’s partner? As long as I know, I’m not her partner. And never be.”

“Oh I see. Aunt Inn didn’t tell you, right? She always like that.” Zee shook her head. She stare at me. “Just accept that you are Kim’s partner, kay? I’m glad that you’re more beautiful that the news. Auch!” Jane pinched her. She gave her death glare. “Of course, you are the most beautiful in this school, babe.” Zee kissed her cheek. I want to vomit. “By the way, where is Kim, Mario? She isn’t with you?”

“She has her duty.”

Zee sighed. “Again? Till when she will do anything that the school wants? Pity her.” Again. I kept thinking of her. Why? Since when? How can be? Where are you now...Kim?

 

Tomorrow...

 

Kim’s POV

My body feels hot, and I was in a cold sweat. There’s too much noise, I can’t sleep.

“Murderer! What you and Dangerous Class are doing in secret?”

Shut up! Go away! I ran as far as I can. I hate people consider me a killer, but what I hate the most is what they say about me is true!

“Kim, this is a mission. Do not oppose. If you oppose...” Mike’s voice catch me. I’m trying to stay away from his voice. I hate you! You’re his accomplice! I hate both of you!

Like sludge. How long this nightmare pursue me? Is there an end to this nightmare?

 

Pie’s POV

Kim isn’t coming home. When I woke up, I didn’t see her. Where is she right now? Huft... I sighed. I need go to class right now. Maybe she is there.

“Piee!” Boy shouted my name when I entered the class. He came near me and grabbed my hand. Pulls me closer to the hordes of my friends. They should be Van and Yam. “You have to know something! Soon will be held school festival! Wouldn’t that be fun?!”

“Wow! What is that?”

“The school festival is actually a competition between the different ability classes. Because it affects reputation and prize money, everyone tries their best to spy on others.” Van told me. He smiled.

“Woooww!! It’s really amazing! When it will be held? I can’t wait anymoreee”

“Like I told you, Pie.” Boy laughed.

“Hey! Over there! Shut up!” Jane rebukes us that sounds very enthuasiastic will host the school festival. She looked annoyed.

“Huh, get scolded.” Boy sighed.

I looked at Jane. She looked at Mario who seemed sad with her worried face. His puppy even look worried by his condition. I was not aware that Zee had stare at me from earlier. Zee turned away her head to Mario. “It’ll be ok, Mario.” Jane tried to calm his down.

I approached them, and patted his shoulder. “Mario, what’s wrong?” He didn’t response. Still staring at the table.

“Kim is in the hospital.” Finally, Zee opened . She answered my question. “They said she’s sick caused by overwork. Kim recently hasn’t been able to sleep and has been stressed.”

“Come on, Mario. Don’t waste your time with these people. Let’s go.”

“Grr... What did you say? Go where?”

“The hospital.” She looked at me, then she realized something. She smirked. “Eh? Actually, me, Mario, and Zee as representatives of Kim’s friends received special permission to go to visit her at the hospital.” She smiled evilly.

Mario stood up from his chair. “Come on, Zee.”

“Goodbye, Ladies.” She winked us. She grabbed Jane’s hand and walked out from the class.

 

Mario’s POV

Tok tok tok

I knocked the door. I knew it’s Kim’s room in the hospital. I’ve been visited her since the first day she was treated here. Then I decided to open the door cause I knew she won’t answered it. She’s always acted cold. “Kim...” I spoke almost whispered. She sat on her bed, reading a book. When she noticed it was me, she closed her book. I came close to her and put a bouquet of flowers on the vase which located above the desk. Before I get here, I stopped by the flower shop in the central town. “How is your body? Are you feeling well now?” I took a glance on her book. It’s medical treatment.

“You are not here alone, aren’t you?” She stared at me.

“Jane and Zee is waiting outside. I thought I had to tell you first.” I know I can’t lie, she knew me so well. We are best friend for almost 9 years.

“Tell them to get in.”

“Before that, I need to talk with you.” I sat on the chair beside her bed. “What did you do?”

“Nothing.”

“You’re lying, Kim. I knew it. What has been the headmaster do to you? What job had he instructed to you? What-”

She hold my head, and ruffled my hair. “I am fine. No need to worry, Mario. I’m being honest now.” She gave her best smile to me. It made me stunned. She is always like this. Always hiding her truth mission. She never told me what kind of job that she did. All I knew it always a dangerous one and illegal. “Don’t give me your stupid face!” She laughed. It is the first time she laughed like that for a long time. She never laugh and smile since the first day we arrived here. That day was the first day she had her job from the school. That day when we were about 10 years old.

 

Flasback..

That one night, when she was terribly bruised in both mind and body, and we couldn’t sleep, we made a vow together. Ever since then, I haven’t seen any more tears from Kim at all. Sleepless nights, and the lost laughter. Replaced by her strength, Kim’s sorrow had no place to go. I wonder just how long it would continue to grow, trapped inside. How long..

“Oh no Kim...” We were in Kim’s room. I’ve been waiting here for several hours.

She sat on the floor. Leaning her body to the wall. “I’m fine, Mario. I’m fine.” Her body was full of scars. Blood everywhere. She’s afraid of blood. I knew it. She was just trying to covering it.

“Why is it you always.” My eyes began teary. I cried. She just arrived here and was immediately put to work the task that given by the school. Now she was seriously injured and they didn’t care. How dare they to do this to her!

“I’ll just have to bear it for now.” She stayed strong. Her voice...there’s no fear and exhausted at all. She still look calm.

“I want to grow up quickly and have more power. Strong enough to destroy everything around me. I want to become strong.” She was silent. I tried to hide my tears. I don’t want to look weak in front of her. “Kim, if you won’t laugh, then I won’t laugh either. When you are suffering, I don’t want to be having fun without you.”

End of flashback...

 

Kim’s POV

“But-” Mario tried to refuse me. But then someone already get in.

“Kiiiimm!” Oh, it is Jane. “I don’t want to wait outside anymore. I thought my knees will be swollen.”

“Hi, Kim! How are you, buddy?” Zee greeted me.

“It’s getting better now. Thanks for coming here.” I smiled.

“When will you come back, Kim?” Jane asked me.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I still have to rest.”

Jane looked sad. “Oh.. Okay then, I will let you sleep now. Come on, Zee, Mario.” She pulled Zee’s arm. But Zee pushed her away.

“You two go first. I need to talk with Kim.” Zee told them to go.

“We will wait outside.” Mario walked out to the door. So does Jane.

“Okay, what is it?” I don’t want to waste my time. So I just want it to the point.

She took out a neklace from her pocket. A marble-sized stone tied to the neklace. Her stone was coloured by light blue. “Your order.” I looked at her. Taking it from her and wear it on my neck. “Just don’t waste it this time. I can not make this as easy as you do. I hope you do not need to go to the hospital anymore. Your body begins to weaken.” I stare at the wall blankly. Yeah, she’s right. Lately I often go to the hospital. “The time has come. You’re overworking, Kim. You’re using too much power. Although your power is limitless, but it will make your life become shorter, right?”

I closed my eyes. My head is aching. “Huh! Nonsense! I don’t believe it at all. You talk too much today, Zee.”

“I just want to remain you. I think you need some rest now. I’ll leave you alone. Hope you’re getting well, Kim.” Then, I saw her closed the door and gone. I thought I really need sleep right now. I’m feeling unwell. I hope nightmare won’t caught me again.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Wuoohh~~~

I’m baaackkk~~~

Finally, it’s done!! I’m sorry for taking too much time, readers. X(

I’m still confused about the next chapter. Any ideas?

I will accept your suggestions and criticisms gracefully. Just leave a comment. ;D

With love,

-ara-