#12: Summer Paradise

My Exo Box

- 1st of July, 2016

Summer Paradise

Xiuchen

 3410 words

fluff, romance | pg

 

requested by abbieyen16 and JinjinMarshmallow


This is half past midnight, somewhere on the east Shore of Sapphire Lake, and Jongdae sets this very moment as the most enjoyable in his life.

The soft sound of the waves mix with the tones of guitars, boisterous singing and laugher, the light wind is ruffling his hair as he sits himself near the bonfire. He is pumped with energy and overwhelming excitement. He takes a deep, content breath, and he wishes this vacation could have lasted forever. Of course, he still has a whole week ahead, but he knows how short it is going to be, to his and everyone's dismay.

Coming to this summer camp was the best idea ever. This event was organized for seniors especially, a two-week-long magical vacation for students who are just about to start their last year. Around 200 seniors from colleges from all around the district came, and he met so many new fun people he'll definitely stay in touch with.

His eyes fall on a certain guy, running in the sand and playing soccer with some other guys.

And of course, Kim Minseok. He has also met Kim Minseok, whose uncle owns this resort by the way, and he on his part, owes Jongdae's attention from the beginning of the event. His white T and Bermuda jeans sit perfectly on his muscular body, and his light brown hair disheveled by the wind looks too good for his own good.

Minseok shoots a goal, and his team-mates hoot and whistle, the small audience formed on the sides cheer, deeply impressed by his skills. The boy jogs back to his position, Jongdae's eyes follow him all the way. Their gazes lock, to Jongdae's surprise, and the older beams and waves at him. Jongdae waves back, a shy smile rising on his warm face. Minseok's smile always has this effect on him, and he can hardly do anything about it. The thing is, this effect just gets stronger the more they talk, laugh, spend time together randomly. But Minseok is basically the one in charge here, so he is being friendly to everyone and taking care of everyone's needs to give someone special attention...

"God, you two are so cute." Baekhyun sits beside him, ing a cup of crushed ice juice into his hand. "He really doesn't pay that much attention at anyone else, you know."

"And you know that because you know him that well, hmm?" Jongdae says sarcastically, sipping from the straw. Baekhyun met him on the first day just he did.

"No, it's because I have eyes." The boy replies, winking to state his point.

"Yeah, and my eyes are telling me that a walking electric poll is moving toward us, looking for you. So go." Jongdae pushes his friend forcefully as if he is some offensive object, making him almost lose his balance and whine in protest. "Go!" He chuckles.

Baekhyun stands up, pouting at the fact that he is being kicked away by his own best friend so harshly. But Jongdae sees how fast this pout is gone once the spoken electric poll, a really tall and lean guy named Chanyeol, reaches him. The pout is exchanged with a sweet smile, and the two stride away to walk on the shallow water of the lake.

By the end of the night, they will already be making out for sure. He notes to check out later.

He is startled when a couple of minutes later a figure crouches to his side. "Hi." Minseok chuckles. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you."

"It's okay." Jongdae smiles awkwardly, biting his lip as his stomach does a funny dance caused by the other's presence. The older settle on the sand next to him, extending his legs, as Jongdae says "You ripped them apart pretty easily out there. Impressive."

"Thanks." Minseok smile almost shyly, an automatic reaction to compliments. "But this is nothing much. I used to play a bit, but… not anymore."

Jongdae is about to say that he is just being humble again – he's cute - when a bunch of guitar players start playing in unison, a familiar melody of a song that fits perfectly to the atmosphere, and everyone is more than eager to join to the group singing. The two join as well, bodies swaying slightly as they sing along.

"I remember every sunset, I remember every word you said, we were never gonna say goodbye, singing lala tatata…" Jongdae is hyper-aware of how close the other is next to him, how fast his heart beats as he thinks of him with every word singing its way out of his mouth. He risks a glance at the older, heart skipping a beat when he realized the other has been already staring at him, an enjoyable gaze in his eyes. "Tell me how to get back to, back to summer paradise with you… and I'll be there is a heartbeat…"

God, Minseok is so handsome, and he is staring at him right now, and he really can't take its intensity, so he fixes his stare on the bonfire until the end of the song. Cheers erupt when it ends, and Jongdae really can't pass this without a smile. This is so nice.

Their hands touch on the sand and before Jongdae can figure out what to do about it, Minseok exclaims, "Oh! Your hands are so cold." Surprised, considering the circumstances.

"Ah, yes, I've been drinking crashed ice… so… yeah." Jongdae suppresses a smile when the other takes his hand between his own gently. His touch is so warm and he is so caring Jongdae wants to melt right there and then.

"Let's warm it up then." Minseok's fingers rub circles on his skin, causing shivers run down Jongdae's back. "And hell, I'm not gonna let you get any closer to that bonfire, sure about that!"

The two laugh, and Jongdae agrees – he is never going to try sitting this close to a bonfire ever again, very much unwilling to re-experience yesterday's incident. One moment he was sitting peacefully next to the fire, and the next he was suffering from a burn in his palm, hissing in pain. Everyone near him worriedly called Minseok over, and the older led him to the first aid kit and took care of his injury. It sure wasn't anything too serious, but Jongdae's palm had stayed bandaged even until now, just in case, according to Minseok's instructions. 

"Thank you, for taking care of me." Jongdae says somewhat shyly.

"You're welcome any time." Minseok winks at him playfully, and Oh god, the only thing Jongdae can do in return is blink, face completely flushed at the gesture. Minseok chuckles, and as if it wasn't enough to dumbfound Jongdae completely, the older wraps his arm around his shoulder and leans close. "Stop being so cute," he whispers, voice low near his ear, and Jongdae can hear the never-budging smile in his voice. Before he retreats completely, he plants a kiss on the younger's dark locks, satisfaction written all over his pleasant face.

Yup, Jongdae is there, at the point where Minseok sure is driving him crazy.

Minseok walks him to his cabin at around 2 am, when everyone is spreading back to their cabins. Jongdae bids him goodnight with a kiss on the cheek, and when he flops himself on his bed, he feels in heaven.

~

It’s 6:30 am, and Jongdae is making his way half-sleepily to the dining hall. Glancing inside, he smiles through his bitten lip at the sight of Minseok mopping the floor with swift moves, despite the sleepiness obviously clouding him too.

The reason for him doing it and right now, and not let's say, after dinner yesterday, is not completely clear to Jongdae. But, well, he should use the opportunity to…

"Jongdae," Minseok arches his brows in a pleasant surprise as the younger approaches. "What are you doing here?"

"I told you I'm going to help you," Comes a reply as he starts pushing the tables back to their place on the areas that are already clean. "You know, for you treating me and all…"

"…Oh, I thought you were – "

"Joking?" Jongdae giggles at his genuine surprise. "No, I was serious. I want to say a proper thank you." And take a nice opportunity to spend time with you. He thinks, leaving it for the older to understand himself.

Minseok appreciates it greatly; after all, it is easier and much more fun to work together. The older turns out to be a big tease in the mornings, or rather, when he doesn't have enough sleep. Jongdae likes it so much, as he too feels a bit high due to lack of sleeping hours piling up from the previous week.

Minseok's laugher dies down, when he remembers the drinking tanks standing near the entrance to the kitchen. "Ah, I forgot. There are coffee and cold cocoa over there," he points lazily at the direction. "Better have some before everyone comes in and drink it all."

Jongdae accepts gladly. Filling one cup of each – intending to give Minseok whichever he prefers because he likes both – he turns around with the cups full in hands just to be startled by Minseok's figure right behind him, mastering a silly face. The drinks end up spilling on both of their shirts, but that doesn't stop the older from bursting in uncontrollable laugher. Jongdae whines loudly in half-hearted annoyance at his childish behavior. He tries really hard not to laugh too but he is already smiling so his attempts are futile.

"Ugh, you big baby, now we both dirty." He sets the cups aside, wiping his palms on the other's front on purpose, as a punishment. "You deserve it!"

"Hey, Hey!" Minseok giggles as he catches his wrists to hold his hands away from his poor shirt, finding himself easily pressing the older against the tanks behind. The two realize how close they are, but neither wants to pull away. Jongdae meets his eyes hesitantly, finding adoration swirling inside of them and oh, how much he wants to kiss him right now.

Minseok leans in slowly, experimentally, heartbeat loud in his own ears the more he closes the distance between them. Jongdae's eyes flatter close and so his own, when –

The door behind the corner swings open and the chefs enter, carrying trays of breakfast food to place on the buffet for the soon-to-come diners.

"I-I-I'm going to change… yeah." Jongdae quickly slips away, at the same time Minseok takes a step back. "See you later." He doesn't dare to look at the older, almost jogging out before he can notice his blush.

Minseok exhales in amusement, shaking his head at his bad luck. He probably should go change too.

~

"Everyone, I wanna see you jump! Jump! Jump!" The DJ shouts, gesturing for the crowd to jump, and everyone does, hands high up in the air.

200 bodies clad in swimsuits are swaying to the music, half on the sand and half in the water, having the time of their lives in the beach party. The water splashed everywhere, doing little to chill the skins burning from dancing and the sun up in the sky. Everyone scream along the lyrics of the song, high on adrenaline. Some girls come to drag the guy who volunteered to be the DJ, pulling him to join the fun. Chuckling, he gestured them to wait, and instead grabs the microphone and catches the dancing crowd's attention.

"You're having fun, guys!? Huge shout-out to the person who made this all possibllllee! Kim Minseok! Kim Minseok! Kim Minseok!" He chants to the rhythm of the music, the crowd joining enthusiastically. "Bro, get up here!"

Minseok climbs on stage laughing, wearing green trunks and nothing else, body glistening and hair wild and wet. He takes the microphone and faces the crowd. "Thank you for coming everyone! We still have a lot of time together, so let's make it the greatest time ever!" He starts jumping as a new song plays, and the DJ guy nudges him to rap along to the song. He surprises everyone by actually doing so, pulling stunned cheers from the crowd at the performance, igniting everyone back into dancing.

"Damn, your man is a superstar!" Baekhyun shouts to Jongdae above the music, jumping to the song booming from the speakers.

"He's not my man, Baek…" The other says to his ear so he won't need to shout it, even though no one will notice anyways. But he 100% agrees with the statement, judging by his crazy racing heart. His eyes roam all over Minseok's body and he concludes the guy is ing illegal.

"Whatever! Did you get that kiss yet?"

Jongdae shakes his head without tearing his eyes from the DJ area.

"Idiot! What are you waiting for!?" Baekhyun takes his and Chanyeol's hand and pulls both to the front, and keeps dancing hard to their side. Jongdae just lets his nerves relax and the music to take full control on him. Some girl dances her way impossibly close to him, putting his hands on her swaying hips and wraps her own around his neck.

They stay like this for no more than couple of moment, before Baekhyun pulls the girl away from him, shocked– God bless him – at the same time Jongdae is being pulled suddenly to the opposite side. He stumbles while turning toward the person who just snatched him rudely away from his dance partner – only to face Minseok.

"Having fun?" He asks, bitterly, referring to the girl that was nearly humping him. His big brown eyes were filled with jealousy, making Jongdae giggle.

"Took you long enough."

"What – " Minseok is shut up with Jongdae's lips pressing against his for a long moment, leaving them tickling with expectation after the younger withdraws with a huge smile on his face. All the jealously washes away right after, replaced by glinting excitement.

"Damn Jongdae," He breaths out, pulling him in yet again, wrapping his strong arms around the petite boy's body and kissing him again, longer, sweeter. They part moments later, breathless. "You've been driving me crazy since the beginning of the camp." He whispers, connecting their foreheads.

Jongdae can't believe this is finally happening, dizzy from all the sensations. He chuckles, because it's same for him. They continue kissing, completely oblivious to the others.

Jongdae sets this moment as the new most perfect moment in his life. 

~

The last day of the summer camp.

Heck, this is the last three hours of the camp and the ty feeling that was gradually intensifying since three days ago inside of Jongdae has reached its peak.

Suitcases are already packed in the cabins, waiting for their owners to drag into the cars and back home. Some students are already gone; had to come back home earlier than others. Jongdae and Baekhyun are going to wait until the very end and still - Jongdae has no mood for the last party at all.

Minseok surprises him when he comes to his and Baekhyun's cabin, looking stunning than ever, to pick him up to the party like a real gentleman. Jongdae is touched yet again, but that just makes him a lot sadder.

Since their kiss at the beach party, they've shared so many more and sweet moments together. Minseok turned out to be a real angel, not that he doubted it. He had so much fun with him, and he just… he is not ready to say goodbye to all that.

Summer affairs are just exactly that – summer affairs. They are meant to end. But Jongdae might've let himself cross a line.

I think I'm slowly falling in love with Minseok.

The two stride lazily on the green road toward their destination, fingers linked and swaying back and forth between them. The older notices the frown on the other's face, of course. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" He brings him closer immediately, hugging him with one arm as they walk.

"Y-Yeah, sure." Jongdae forces his mood to brighten. "So, what are we gonna have there?" He jerks his chin forward, to the hall's direction.

"At the party?" Minseok asks. "Um, let’s see. Dancing obviously, food, sweets, drinks, alcohol. A photographer for magnetic photos. A lot of fun, as usual." He beams.

Jongdae nods, hopeful that all those will be able to distract him from his selfish thoughts.

 

He surely has fun there, in the end. Music and Minseok and alcohol (not much) sure are enough to ease him up and make him enjoy the last party of his summer paradise. But this nagging though of It’s nearly the end, is there all the time, at the back of his head, and every time he thinks about it his stomach hurts.

"Can we go somewhere quiet for a bit?" Minseok asks him gently some time into the party.

Jongdae immediately becomes concerned. "Sure but why? Are you okay?" He looks for any signs of nausea or an injury so he can help.

Minseok chuckles, caressing Jongdae's cheek as an appreciation of his concern. "Yes, don't worry. Everything is perfect. I just have to tell you something."

The two come out, walking on the wooden path leading to a lit wooden porch at the hall's backyard. They sit on a step, looking at the beautiful night. Jongdae thinks he is about to tear up, because this must be it, right? Minseok it about to tell him that it was an experience of no commitment, that he had a great time with him but…

"First of all, don't be mad okay?" Minseok starts, and with this start, nothing can be good. "Baekhyun talked to me about that thing that bothers you – well he more like barked at me not to dare break your heart– "

"What?" Jongdae's eyes almost pop out of his sockets. "He did what? W-What did he tell you?"

"Well, he said that…that I'm not just a summer affair to you, and that you don't want us to end just because the camp ends…" Minseok blushes, smiling sheepishly, but Jongdae is too absorbed in his breakdown to notice.

"Damn I-I can't believe it, I can't believe he just…" He buries his face in his palm, voice wavering from helplessness. "I'm so..." The tears are choking his throat from embarrassment. He galps the lump down and faces Minseok. "…sorry you had to hear that from him, I understand what you're trying to say – "

"Slow down, Jongdae." Minseok puts his hands on the other's shoulders to calm him down, and he still smiles, how can he smile like that 24/7!? Jongdae thinks frantically. "I'm not trying to tell you to forget about us once we get back home."

"You're not?" Jongdae arch a brow, realizing a tear slipped down his cheek only when Minseok's thumb wipes it away.

"No; Just the opposite." His palms frame Jongdae's face and his touch is so soft, and so are his eyes – full of sincerity. "You are not just a summer affair to me too, Jongdae. I like you so much, and I want to be with you after this too. We can definitely make it work, i-if that's what you want…"

"God, yes." Jongdae hugs him tightly, Minseok's words enveloping him with endless relief and happiness. The older hugs him back. "But," Jongdae retreats from him, eyebrows scrunched worriedly. "You study at Eisenhower, it's like, an hour and a half away by car."

"So what? I have a car." Minseok pecks him shortly, cheering the other up. Distance is not much of problem, especially when…"Want to know a secret?" He asks, eyes glinting mysteriously. After the other nods, he proudly reveals: "I'm teaching soccer at Herbert Hoover Middle School once a week."

"Really?" Jongdae's eye widen at the familiar name of the institute. "You come all the way to my neighborhood to teach soccer?"

Minseok nodes cutely, pleased even more to find out Jongdae lives this close to the school than he assumed. "See? Problem solved. I'm gonna visit at least once a week and we have each other's numbers. You'll get sick of me pretty soon though, you'll see."

The two laugh, but the younger is quick to answer "try me" before pulling his new boyfriend into a long kiss.

Who could have known? He came here with a best friend, but returns home having a best friend and a boyfriend.  


Thanks for requesting, abbieyen16 and JinjinMarshmallow ! Hope you liked the story :) This idea couldn't leave my head ever since i came up with it, and no ship felt more right than Xiuchen in this case. By the way, all the names of places here are either inverted or I found them in the internet, so if there any similarity to the reality it's purely coincidental. And yes, Summer Paradise by Simple Plan was playing on repeat during the writing process, I like this song so much <3 

Please comment!