#11: Win His Heart

My Exo Box

- 20-21 of June, 2016

Win His Heart

XiuChen Vs. BaekChen

 5073 words

fluff, slight!angst, humor, romance | pg

 

requested by chen_kjd0921  


Kim Jongdae has never been a particularly sought-after person.

Sure, his cute smile and fun personality set him safely at the "above average" part of the scale, but except of a few handfuls of random flirting cases, his love life stayed… well, with no much drama and action. He has never been in a relationship, and honestly, it has never really bothered him either.

On his senior year in high-school, however, life gets this weird, unexplainable boost, and before he can realize what's happening he finds himself as the top head of a love triangle.

Lucky Jongdae, right?

Wrong.

"I'm stuck between two guys, that God knows why they decided I'm their perfect type! Ugh, what do I dooo? I can't, I'm freaking out. Yixing, help me!" Jongdae buries his head in his crossed arms on the table rather dramatically.

"This is not very nice saying you are "stuck" between them." Yixing chooses to say, to the point, as always. "Those two are trying hard to win your heart. See it as a compliment, I think it's really cute…" –

But wait. We are going too fast. Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

~

"Oh my god, I sang like crap, I was so nervous." Jongdae breaths out with an awkward laugh that follows, stuffing his belongings into his backpack after the bell rings. "I can't believe I even made it in here."

"Oh come on, you were amazing. " Luhan makes a 'don't be ridiculous' face beside him. "Right, Kyungsoo?"

The referred guy looks up with his big round eyes and smiles politely. "Yes, you did a good job. You should have really auditioned sooner."

This brings a small satisfied smile on Jongdae's lips. Luhan hits his chest lightly with the back of the palm, full of enthusiasm. "See? And really, why hadn't you, though?"

"Um, I don't really know." He hasn't thought about doing it before. He probably still wouldn't have if Minseok didn't insist him to.

"Welcome to the choir, newbie." Says a new voice. Jongdae turns around to face an equally petite boy with raven hair and a charming smile. "You've got an impressive voice, I must say."

Taken by surprise, Jongdae stutters back. "T-Thank you." Damn, his smile is so beautiful, he thinks in awe. He vaguely recognizes his face, but unfortunately not his name – he failed to catch it today in class.

"It's been a while since we had such a refreshing addition…" The guy continues, and the smile never leaves his face as he looks at the latter, definitely intrigued. "I hope you'll stick around 'cause I think I've found my partner for the final duet." He bites his bottom lip and his gaze lingers on the other in an unmistakable way. He bids him with a 'see you around' and starts toward the door without waiting for a reply. The guy definitely doesn't leave any place for an argument about that.

"Oh my God! Byun Baekhyun just flirted with you!" Luhan whispers frantically with eyes wide like ping-pong balls.

"What just… no…" Jongdae lets out, eyes still fixated on the retreating back of Byun Baekhyun, the ace of the choir, who just ing asked him to sing a duet with him. A violent shake forces his attention back to Luhan who is practically combusting from excitement, assuring him he knows how it looks like, and especially what it means when it comes out of a choir member's mouth.

"He practically claimed you, dude. It's like asking you out on a date! And have you seen his eyes shining? And that lip-bite??"  

Jongdae keeps denying, because that just can't make sense, but the tickling feeling in his stomach kind of sides with Luhan this time. He suppresses a shy smile.

Whatever it was – he thinks he liked the feeling of it.

~

"To what do I owe the honor, your majesty, Mr. Kim?" Minseok beams sarcastically as Jongdae finally joins him on the empty bleacher seats at the gym.

"Stop it, I said I'm sorry." Jongdae hits him on his thigh and chuckles. It's been a while since they could be just the two of them, enjoy from a best friends' quality time, because he has become so busy lately. He knows this is Minseok's way to say how dearly he missed him, and he can't deny he missed the other too.

"I know it's mean, but you don't realize how grateful I am that Mrs. Lee is sick."

The older laughs and pulls on the other's hand to help him reach the upper row of seats. Rather than seating, they are walking on the metallic fixed chairs, and they are not the only one who has this weird habit. "Choir is pretty hectic, I guess?" He asks.

"Yeah, you know," Jongdae exhales, the tiredness is evident in his voice. "Since I joined late, all my free time is spent on completing everything I've missed. Extra lessons and all."

"Oh, that , buddy." Minseok rubs his back soothingly to show sympathy. Then he remembers something and arches his brows. "Wait, private lesson? I thought the choir teacher teaches in another school after she finishes here every day?"

"Ah, yes, well." Jongdae rubs his nape sheepishly. "She usually stays for a bit, but after she leaves Baekhyun continues the lesson."

Minseok's expression darkens invisibly at the mention of the name. He should have expected this answer, honestly, but it wouldn't change the fact he doesn't like this arrangement, to say the least. It's been two weeks since Jongdae passed into the choir, and he's been regretting pushing the other into doing it since the moment Luhan nearly chocked telling their squad how Byun Baekhyun is "totally after Jongdae from the moment he heard him sing". He would have never done it had he known this would be the result – his best friend seeing him less and less in the favor of spending his whole time with some stupid choir member. Especially a one with (not so) hidden intentions. "He seems quite determined to help you, this Baekhyun guy." Minseok says quietly.

Jongdae shrugs it off. "He just wants me be in the right level so I won't embarrass him when we sing the duet together."

A mare murmur leaves the older's lips at that. "Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason." They take several more silent steps, each one on its row while Jongdae on a row lower beside Minseok. 

Jongdae suddenly exclaims with surprise, and before Minseok can steady him he slips and pulls Minseok after him. "Watch out, Jongdae – " Luckily for Minseok, he is able to remain standing on the seats with a balance of an athlete . Jongdae however, finds himself falling on the concrete in the gap between the seats.

"Oh God, Are you okay?" The older is right beside him, hands gentle as he crouches near his friend and pulling him into a sitting position. ", you are bleeding…" his deep concern contrasts the sudden laugher erupting from Jongdae. "What the hell are you laughing about? I said you are bleeding!"

Jongdae's laugher is now mixed with whines and hisses as the pain starts demanding attention, but his light mood is still intact. "I'm laughing at how much of a clumsy I am – Ow – "

"Sorry!" Minseok jerks his hand back as his fingers came too close to the wounded skin, worried and apologetic. "This is serious, you idiot - you'll need stitches. School is sure gonna be in trouble for that sticking-out screw."

Jongdae takes a hesitant look at the deep cut on his leg, just above the ankle, and groans. He can't believe he busted his leg at school! And the blood droplets trickling slowly down to the concrete leave no doubts that it has to be treated, what just makes him more stressed. "I'm sure it'll heal on its own just as fine…" He tries to stand, but Minseok stops him when he takes out a spare shirt from his bag and wraps it around the wound carefully.

"Please don't bull me, Jongdae." Minseok asks with a soft voice. "I bet you don't even know if you've got Tetanus injection." He helps the other stand on the healthy leg, and with swift moves lifts him up in a piggyback position.

"Wha – what are you doing!? Put me down – "

Minseok smile to himself as he feels Jongdae's arms tighten around him neck despite his words, and the warmth that spreads in his chest right after. Let me take care of you. This strong will to take care of the other has been there for a while, and now it kicks in in full force. "I'm taking you to the clinic now."

Minseok's concerned expression turns out to be more than enough to convince the right people, and soon there are both dismissed and on their way to the clinic in the older's car. Their drive is fairly quiet, expect from when Jongdae asked his friend not to call his parents just yet. Minseok glances at the other, who sits in the passenger's seat and looks straight ahead with a slight frown, clutching his vaccination records a bit too tightly. Minseok knows him too well to know why. 

Needles.

"This is not going to hurt, honey," The nurse has a very soothing voice when she says that, but it does little to calm Jongdae's nerves. A fear is a fear, and he hates it. He hates to appear weak. He feels a hand taking his, fingers slide between his, and when he looks up surprised at the gesture he sees a soft reassuring smile on Minseok's face. "It's gonna be fine. I'm here."

The gesture is so gentle, so out of the blue, so intimate that Jongdae is too busy being aware of their linked fingers and the heat rising up his face, and doesn't even realize the nurse is done with the injection. "All done, kid. Now let's close that wound, shall we? Don’t worry, you won't feel anything at all."

Of course he won't, because they are going to anesthetize the wound area. Which means more needles.

"Jongdae, don't look down. Look at me." Minseok speaks from his position beside the bed, when the doctor is about to inject the anesthesia. He is met with silently terrified eyes, and he can feel how tense Jongdae's body is just from the grip on his hand. "Do you remember that scar I have on my elbow?"

"Yeah…" The needle goes in, and Jongdae shuts his eyes tightly.

"It has a more embarrassing story than everyone thinks." Minseok keeps talking about the first thing the situation reminded him of, distracting him as much as possible because there are two more injections to go. He tells him about how he actually got this scar, squeezing back when the grip on him tightens from endurance, and distractingly the back Jongdae's hand.

Jongdae chuckles at the confession, risking and opening his eyes. "S-So you are not that cool after all, Kim Minseok." He comments. Through his friend's protests about that, he realizes he feels nothing but a faint tickling down his leg. He glances to where the doctor curls the stitching needle in his – okay he better not look. He rests his head back on the bed and exhales in relief. He survived it.

"Thanks for being with me through this nightmare. I really hate needles." Jongdae tells him later, when he exits Minseok's car in front of his house. It's a late noon hour, but his mother is already home because school has probably called her and told her about the incident, judging from the concerned calls he received from her.

"Yeah I know." Minseok smiles. "You know I'll always be there, right? You don't even have to ask or thank me for that." I'll do anything to assure that you are okay. His words raise a smile on Jongdae's lips too, and the younger is instantly in his arms, expressing his gratitude with a tight hug. Holding him this close has Minseok overflowing with emotions, and he wants to let them out. Maybe it's time – right now, finally. "You know, I…" Minseok lets him lean away enough so they can both look at each other, and his heart is beating so fast. "I have something – "

But the chance is missed, when Jongdae's phone rings suddenly, and who might that be if not a too worried Baekhyun.

"Baek, I'm fine, really." Jongdae chuckles, and the way he called the other just now is enough to ignite the burning jealousy in Minseok. "I'm sorry I didn't call you sooner to tell you won't make it today. Yes, Minseok took me to the clinic." silence. "Thanks. Oh, but you really don't have to – " Jongdae sighs in defeat, but that smile on his lips tells that he is not quite unwilling to lose the argument. "Okay. Bye." He hangs up. He looks at his watch and his brows arch. "Oh, it's already 4! , you are almost late because of me, I'm so sorry. Go, your sister is waiting." He waves, and retreats to his house carefully.

Minseok doesn't ask; he knows that Baekhyun is probably on his way here. And oh, how he wishes he could stay and ruin Baekhyun's plans to stay alone with Jongdae.

But he hasn't given up yet.

 ~

 "Hey guys!"

Jongdae's voice halts the talking around the lunch table in the loud cafeteria as his friends look up and greet him, scooting their chairs to the side to make enough space for him.

"Look who's finally crawled out of his cave!" "Never imagined I'll get to see you before the very last day of school, Jongdae."

The boy chuckles apologetically, feeling a bit bad for abandoning his friends like this. "Yeah, I know, sorry. That's why I did something about that today, actually..." He sends a smile over his shoulder, gesturing with his chin toward the table. "You wouldn't mind Baekhyun sitting with us today, right?" The spoken guy appears right behind, greeting everyone with a wide smile and a nod since his hands are occupied with his tray.  

Being the welcoming group they are known as, everyone responds with affirmation – everyone except of Minseok, that is, who only scowls toward his plate. He doesn't miss the knowing smile Luhan tries to stifle beside him, and it doesn't help at all.

"Oh," Jongdae realizes there's only a single spare chair around their table. "I'll go get another chair. Be right back. Luhan, do some introducing, please?" He asks, as the Chinese boy is someone who Baekhyun already knows from choir. He is about to step away when Baekhyun catches his arm.

"No it's okay. You sit, and I'll go get one." He squeezes Jongdae's shoulder reassuringly upon seeing the beginning of protest on his face. You are so sweet, he thinks at that. He really doesn't want to him to go around too much. It hasn't been long since he injured his leg, so Baekhyun tries to spare him from unnecessary walk. He doesn't say so, though, knowing how Jongdae might react. The other has become so dear to him in that short while since they met, so he can't help but want to take care of him at any time, and even in smallest matters.

"Or he can sit here," Minseok's voice interrupts, tearing Jongdae from his grip with a light pull. Jongdae lets out a surprised yelp when he lands straight on the other's lap, pulling giggles out of everyone. "Nice and comfy. Problem solved." He says jokingly, circling his hands casually around Jongdae's hips. The smile he sends Baekhyun is sweet as much as it is fake. Baekhyun's expression changes into a hidden displeasure – you really doesn't have to be a genius to understand what's going on. The two exchange a mutual disliking in their gazes, quick and unnoticed by the others.

"Very funny, Minseok." Jongdae stands up, amused. "While you are very comfortable, I'll take a chair. Thanks for the offer, though." He replies with his own dose of wittiness.

Sehun proves himself as the only practical person around the table when he puts his long arms into use and swiftly drags a chair from a neighboring table that was just emptied from people. "Here, eat already. You're welcome." He says, a bit annoyed, and returns his attention to his soup. The two chuckle and do as told.

Baekhyun fits well in the conversations around the table, and he is glad at the smiles and interest on Jongdae's friends' faces when they talk and get to know him. He seems to have a mutual interest in Marvel movies with Chanyeol, both eagerly supporting the same side of the argument presented in the last Captain America movie ("Team Cap, duh."), and play the piano too, like Yixing. Jongdae watches at the scene with a swelling heart, while Minseok becomes unhappy with every moment passing. His plans for the future are in terrible danger, he realizes - caused by Baekhyun's unexpected involvement in their life.

"Is everything okay?" Jongdae asks him quietly, noticing immediately his untypical silence around the table.

"Yeah, just tired from all the training." Minseok answers smoothly, adds a smile that ends up a bit forceful. And he knows his best friend is too good in detecting them, especially on Minseok. But the younger says nothing eventually, only rubs his back soothingly and pulls him closer with his hand on the farther shoulder. The familiarity of the action is what brightens Minseok's mood immediately, and his own arm is automatically wraps around Jongdae's hips. The older is glad Jongdae doesn't drop his arm right away, and just relishes in the touch as much as he can.

~

Until one day, he plans are cut short, catching Minseok off-guard.

"Minseok, do you… like me?"

After the words slip out, the silence that was already there seems heavier. But then, Jongdae feels the strong hands unwrap themselves from around him slowly, allowing him to scoot back just a little on the bed and look up.

It is dark, but he can still see the alarm and hesitance there, on his best friend's face, who crawled through the window late at night without informing, just because he couldn't sleep. Who hugged him tightly and so lovingly glided his fingers through his hair, the way he knows he loves it. The guy who's been displaying growing affection toward him in the past weeks, confusing him, but also melting his insides.

He's been suspecting the meaning of this behavior, but he can't bear the uncertainty– he wants to know. Minseok stays quiet, looking in his eyes, and Jongdae doesn't need words to understand; after all, he can feel his heartbeats against his chest, he can see the restlessness and concern in his orbs. He's always been good at reading his best friend. He exhales in understanding.

"Do you hate me for that?" Comes a reply from the older.

No.He knows he is not. He can never hate Minseok. He shakes his head.

One side of Minseok's lips quirk up, relieved and hopeful, and Jongdae can see so many emotions on his face. Every moment of silence is stretched for so long, full of hesitance. "Will you accept my feelings?"

"I…" Jongdae's heart is pounding in his ears, blanking his mind, taking away the ability to think, to speak. He sits up on his bed. Now that he knows for sure, he… he doesn't know what he wants, he just doesn't know right now. He rubs his face in frustration at his state. "I…"

"It's okay." Minseok sits up too, mastering a small, understanding smile. "Don't answer it now. Take your time to figure it out." He fishes something out of his pocket, toying with it before saying "I wanted to give you this. It'll make me happy if you wear it, regardless of your answer." Minseok gives him a bracelet; a simple purple leather band with the latter J curved in the middle. Minseok has the same one, Jongdae notices – red with M on it. "It doesn't mean anything, don't worry."

The younger smiles while observing his present. He does so much for me, he thinks. "Thank you. I like it a lot." He wears it, marvels at how much it compliments his slim wrist.

At least, there is one thing he knows for sure at that moment – he doesn't want to lose the closeness he has with his best friend. He wants to say it, but he knows this is not enough.

After Minseok kisses him on the cheek and leaves through the window (again), Jongdae knows he won't be able to sleep. He lies on his bed and stares at the ceiling with a frown of worry on his forehead. Noe his mind is buzzing, trying to process that his best friend's feelings are not platonic anymore. His mind slips back to yesterday, conflicted and clueless.

He entered to the choir room again after he ended his long phone call, minutes before he and Baekhyun were supposed to wrap up their practice that day. Baekhyun had already started playing the piano, voice soft and mesmerizing escorting a melody of a random love song he started playing while waiting for Jongdae.

Listening to Baekhyun has always been a great pleasure to Jongdae. He beams and their eyes meet, Baekhyun returning him a smile while singing. The older closes his eyes, enjoying the feeling of melody and voice playing on his heartstrings. The song ends, leaving Jongdae wishing it could last a bit longer.

"This was… I can't even express it in words!" His eyes were wide with awe when he came closer to the other's side. "So many emotions all at once, just…how do you do it? Unbelievable. "

The raven-haired boy stood up, looking down at the keys with a shy smile. "Maybe all it takes is to have someone special in your heart," He says and looks up, right into the other's eyes. "Someone you'd like to sing this song to, to convey those feelings to through the song. Especially if this someone stands right in front of you and watches you sing."

Jongdae's heart skips a beat, eyes widening and blush slowly crawling up his face at the words. "Y-You…"

"Yes." Baekhyun says gently, "It's time to let you know I like you, isn't it? I just hope I'm not too late." He presses his lips to his cheek, short and sweet. Then he steps away, packing his things while Jongdae is still standing frozen. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

Baekhyun confessed to him too. "I just hope I'm not too late." – He was speaking about Minseok isn't he?

~

Graduation night is finally here.

Their last night as seniors. Last night before they step into the real world.

Boys dressed in button-downs and girls with styled hair and high-heels are walking around, emotional and nervous as the ceremony is about to begin. The families are already in their seats, totally not ready to see their babies end this stage in their lives - not so much as babies anymore.

The ceremony begins with the MCs announcing the beginning of the evening, inviting teachers and the principal to give their speeches. Meanwhile the performers have time to change, prepare themselves to the beginning of the end; the artistic part –where the graduands show their skill in singing, dancing and acting. This is the moment all were waiting for.

When it finally starts, nervousness quickly changes into excitement and blocking everything else. Jongdae is possible the one who is glad the most about it – after all, he still have not returned an answer to neither of the two guys confessing him a week and a half ago. Everything had stayed the same in the course of this time. Nothing of their behavior has changed – still close and caring, always patient.

But he knows he must do it. Tonight.

Jongdae pushes the thought to the back of his mind and goes back to the dressing room. Since the duet he and Baekhyun prepared are one of the first performances, he doesn't have to wait for long until he's called to standby. He meets the other boy there, gorgeous more than ever, whose smile only widens at his appearance. After getting a squeeze on his hand, Jongdae follows him on stage.

When the applause of the audience dies down, the music starts. It ignites all the right feelings inside of him, feeling ready as he's never been before, and when his part comes right after Baekhyun's – he gives it all. He puts all his feelings in his singing, all the passion, enjoying every note to the fullest.

Their voices match perfectly, changing from high note to low and vice versa, laced together to create a perfect combination that stirs people's hearts. They turn to each other as they practiced, but it feels way more natural to Jongdae suddenly, way more sincere, way more perfect. There is something exchanging between them right then, as they look into each-other's eyes – whether it's words or something else. His heart is pounding fast, and not necessarily because of the excitement being on stage.

The performance come to an end, they bow to the clapping and cheering crowd and get out of stage. Instead of getting back to the dressing room, the younger is suddenly pulling him into a secluded spot behind heavy curtains. Baekhyun doesn't let go of his hand even after their facing each-other and Jongdae doesn't seem to object.

"We did it." Baekhyun says and smiles slowly, and looks like he is searching in Jongdae's eyes. The latter knows what. He knows he felt something too out there, on stage. "And you were stunning."

"It wasn't me – " Jongdae starts, only to be blocked by Baekhyun's lips suddenly pressing against his, shortly and unexpectedly. All that Baekhyun wanted to say after, the I'm sorry, I just had to, couldn't help myself, and so on – they are stayed unsaid as Jongdae melts out of his surprise and leans in to reconnect their lips, more firmly, more confidently, bringing him closer to his body.

And nothing feels more right, his heart tells him. He wants this. The choice has been made, and Baekhyun realizes it immediately, without the need of any words.

Neither does Minseok, whose heart breaks at this very sight in from of him. He wants to laugh at himself – You had the feeling, haven't you? – and still there is nothing that hurts more than seeing the one you are in love with kissing with someone else. He leaves the bouquet near Jongdae's things in the dressing room, and walks away, hands balled so tight into fists his hands are trembling.

~

"M-Minseok… Minseok please answer me…" Jongdae wipes his tears, begging into the phone for the other to pick up. This is his twelfth time calling the other, and he still hasn't picked up.

Jongdae knew what's going on the moment he saw the flowers and the humble written message attached to it, signed with the M in a handwriting he knows so well. The guilt has struck him so hard it was hard for him to breath. I just hurt my best friend in the worse way possible.

The older had disappeared. His car was still parking in the parking lot, but he surely wasn't in the area anymore. Jongdae was left to hope he is heading home, the place he is making his way to in his car.

Minseok is not home, and doesn't come home all night. Jongdae has little sleep that night, guilt eating him from the inside. I can't lose my best friend. I can't lose you, Minseok. Please.

5:03 Am, a call wakes him up. Tears start rolling down his cheeks again even before he answers the call, 'Minseokkie' displayed on the screen.

"M-Minseo-k…."

"I'm sorry for waking you up." Answers a raspy voice. "I've told myself to call you the moment I calm down."

"Whe… Where are you?" Jongdae takes a deep breath.

"At the community center – "

The line is dead in a second, and Jongdae gets there in ten minutes. Minseok is welcomes with the sight of a disheveled hair, puffy eyes, pajama sweats and a worn out T-shirt that used to be his once. Jongdae's gaze looks torn apart looking at him, and nevertheless, everything about him makes Minseok warm inside. He realizes that after this horrible night, he wants to just hold his best friend – nothing else. So he does.

"I'm sorry." Jongdae sobs into his shoulder. "I'm sorry, it wasn't supposed to be like that – I –  I di-didn't want to hurt you, I – "

"Shh. Stop. I'll be okay." Minseok his hair. "I'll be okay." He repeats.

"Please don't leave me…" Jongdae's hold around his neck tightens. "Is it too much to ask? Am I too selfish?"

"I've told you I'll always be there for you, right?" He tells him, just as much as he tells this to himself. It hurts, so much, but he doesn't want to lose his best friend too. Their relationship is stronger than this. "I'm the one who's selfish – can we please just stay the same as we were? Without all the awkwardness?" He says quietly.

Jongdae feels dizzy from relief, from happiness, from admiration to the other boy. But the shame is there too, and it will stay there for long. "Of course. You have a golden heart, Minseok. A person like me should not have it." He whispers, wiping his eyes and looking up at the other.

"Maybe. But you deserve happiness. And if Baekhyun is the one who makes you happy…" Minseok shrugs, looking at the distance as they start walking back. "He better do it perfectly. Tell him if he s up in the slightest, I'll beat up his ."

Jongdae chuckles with a breaking voice and nods.

Being honest with himself, Minseok feels so much more awful than before with how many lies he just told himself and Jongdae. He's hurt and frustrated. And he doesn't want to be the good guy in the story. But it's not the first time he has to recover from a broken heart, and hell, he doesn't want to hurt Jongdae back.

It'll take time, but little by little he'll be fine. 


Thanks for requesting, chen_kjd0921 ! I know it took me so long to finally get onto this, it was a really hard period with all the graduation stuff (see how I added the graduation part there? ;) it was based on our kind of ceremony) and finals, but now I'm back! I hope it satisfies you because at some point I left aside the ideas I had before and let the story flow to where it is now... I really enjoyed writing it though. Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!