#1: Rap

My Exo Box

 - 18th of January, 2016

Rap

Baekyeol, first person

1776 words

pg-13 | Romance, fluff, humor


 

Chanyeol slipped into our squad faster than I could open my mouth and utter 'no'. Being the new student in our school, it was almost suspicious how smoothly he did it, frankly saying, but Kris was the first to take a liking on him immediately thanks to rapping, and then there was no way back.

It was clear he was already part of us the moment Kris hung his arm over Chanyeol's shoulder, pointing at him with his thumb and saying "This bro over here is almost as cool as me!"

And I, Byun Baekhyun, the joke cracker of the gang, had to sit and watch how he steals everybody's attention, doing his magic with his huge, 'Happy Virus' grin. Even Tao, who was Kris's boyfriend, liked him so much he didn't mind the new best-buddy-bond created between Chanyeol and Kris, and Tao was one of the easiest people to get jealous I have ever known.

Nobody really noticed the way I stared, no, glared at the giant new guy from the place I was seating at – as far as possible – in our gang's special spot at school. Everyone was more chatty than usual those days, trying to know him better and share their part as well. His eyes always darted to meet mine and an amused grin was appearing on his lips when I was the only one sitting quiet, not trying to strike a conversation.

"So… Byun, isn't it?" He started, must have been already tired of my scowl.

"My name is Baekhyun." I said dryly.

"Yeah, right, Baekhyun." He smiled casually. "I see everyone here is really talented. You, too, have some special talent, I guess? What do you do?"

Even though I was indeed busy scowling at Chanyeol, I did hear they were telling him about their band, and then of course Kai, Sehun and Yixing with their dancing skills were brought up, and others talents too must have been mentioned. "I sing." I answered. I really considered answering with a 'nothing' to end this conversation.

"Baek here is really good, too. Oh and he plays the piano and sometimes composes his own songs." Kai flopped on the couch near me, nudging me to wipe the 'Shut up' glare directed to him this time, and Chanyeol hummed in impression.

"Why aren't you in the band then, singing with Kyungsoo?" He asked, and that really annoyed me for some reason.

"Not my thing."

"Oh. Well then," that huge grin appeared again on Chanyeol's face and he had the audacity to say "By the way, I also play the guitar. Maybe we could, you know, make a song together."  

What a show off. "Or maybe not." I stood up and went out, in time to the next period.

"Don’t mind him." I heard Chen say. "He is just bad with newcomers. He’ll get friendlier soon."

 

I was determined not to. But as much as I was irritated, I couldn’t be a jerk all the time. I'm not like that.

The first time I laughed from something he did, I was well aware of that. But it didn't count, really, because it was hardly a snort of laugher and even the tiniest, stupidest things can make me laugh. Still Chanyeol was satisfied.

 

Exactly a month after Chanyeol joined us, Kyungsoo invited all the eleven of us to his place. He, Kris, Minseok, Luhan and Junmyeon decided on a band rehearsal that day, so he decided to call the others to join them afterwards.

If I had a word, I would say that I stayed the same, still displeased with Chanyeol's presence there. But apparently I'm not "objective enough" to say anything about this because Chen claims otherwise.

"Look at you, staring at him like this. Where did this glare of yours go to, hm?" He poked me in the forehead and giggled.

I kept looking at Chanyeol, shaking my head in disbelief. "Oh my god, I'm so annoyed." I said so Chen could understand that's exactly the other way around. Chanyeol played himself shy and humble right in front of my eyes when Kris called a freestyle rap contest, and this made me snort and role my eyes. I was sure everyone knew by then how confident he was in the things he did but it seems nobody but me cared much.

"Okay, okay. Freestyle rap." Chanyeol "surrendered" and everyone became quiet with excited anticipation on their faces. "Kris, give me a beat."

Kris started beatboxing skillfully, the way he always does. Chanyeol took a moment to organize his thoughts and then started rapping.

"I already set my eyes on you, so

I'm not gonna let you go, nope,

No now there's nothing else to say

When you're near I'm not o – kay" at this part, I noticed he was looking at me all this time and then he winked not so secretly. I could feel my cheeks going red and I broke eye contact immediately.

"Let me just be your men

Let's go… eat together ramen?" everyone started laughing at the failing attempt to end this rap decently, squeezing his shoulders as he hid his face in his hands for a moment. Everyone but me.

"There is no ing way it was freestyle." I spat and stood up abruptly, heading to the kitchen. I didn't know why I said that, and what was wrong with my racing heart. But I didn’t want to know. I needed coffee.

"Are you sure he is the clown of the gang?" I heard Chanyeol say quietly, maybe more to himself.

"No, I am the clown!" Chen commented, almost offended.

"No, you are the troll. I did my homework, you know." Another round of laughs was heard, but I only noticed the fact that his voice was louder, closer now. I recognized Junmyeon's voice as he cat-called and everyone else did the same and cheered. I wanted to shoot them all at that moment. He entered the kitchen behind the corner.

"What?" I spat again, and I couldn't even see his face before he grabbed my wrist and pulled me out rather harshly, causing me to drop my cup of coffee. The cup shuttered and Chanyeol grimaced, calling out "I'm sorry, Kyungsoo!" earning a shocked "My sparkly floor!" from the spoken guy.

"Chanyeol, let me go!" I rescued my wrist from his grip, but that was when he already locked us in Kyungsoo bedroom. "Don't dirty my sheets, you s!" Kyungsoo cried out from outside, causing a hysterical laugher around him.

"If you touch me, I'll kill you." I hissed.

"No, I… I'm sorry, Baekhyun." His gaze softened. "It's just… what's your problem with me?"

"Can't you tell? I don't like you. And," I gulped. "What the hell was that outside!?"

A shy smile appeared on his face. "That was me confessing. I'm tired of leaving hints around until you understand I like you." He came closer.

"Don’t – " I held a hand stretched against his chest, preventing him from coming closer. " – confess to me. I- I don't want it." I was blushing again, and his chest was hammering against my palm. I withdrew it away and looked away.

"You don't even know me, Baekhyun. I meant every word I said, that rap… I just let out what I feel. It was always you who I paid attention to from the very start. Every single time I look at you, I tell myself you have to be mine." He leaned his hand on the door behind me, leaning on it and looking down on me, almost whispering with his deep voice, "I'm a sweet guy, Baekhyun. Just give me a chance. I'll make you happy."

Sweet god, I couldn’t look at him at that moment, I was concentrating on not puking from cheesiness (or actually tried to hold my heart together)/ trying to understand what to say. He embarrassed me in front of everyone out there, then came and said all those things. I felt so hot when he was this close, and definitely didn't want that to affect me, but it did greatly. This guy made me so angry that moment I wanted to hit him, and I actually did.

"Can I hit you right now?" I asked out of the blue, and he had enough time to answer a 'yes' before I started smacking him, "arrogant, stupid, annoying," and more similar adjectives out of my mouth with every smack.

"Ouch! Ow, oh my god." Chanyeol fell on the bed half laughing half suffering from my slaps and punches and whatnot. At some point he had enough. He caught me wrists easily with his huge palms and lifted himself to kiss me. His lips were nothing like I imagined (not that I ever imagined, yeah?). They were hot, and soft, and …

I jerked back, not that I didn't know he would try doing it, but I still looked at him shocked that he had the audacity to do that after all that I said.

He caressed my cheek and brushed my lips with his thumb, and I stood there staring, heart thundering and wondering how big hands like this could be this damn gentle.

"Please?" he asked softly.

"Hey!" a loud knocks on the door interrupted the moment. "Can you come any slower!?" It was Luhan, "Or moan any quieter!?" That was Sehun, that treacherous brat.

Chanyeol laughed, awkward, and I wanted to bury myself somewhere, anywhere. So he decided his chest was a good place so he hugged me, encircling my shoulders with his arms. I didn't push him away, but I didn't know what to do with my hands either. I could smell his scent, and it was extraordinary pleasant. Eventually, I held onto his shirt, and I could feel him smile.

We stood like that, letting our hearts relax, but of course they didn’t completely. After some time I spoke. "You owe me a ramen meal."

Chanyeol withdrew, but his hands were on my shoulders, eyes widening. "Really?"

"Y-Yeah." I looked down. Did I just really say that? I thought. Chanyeol said nothing to that, only smiled. I don't know why I gave him that chance, but I did.

We went out then, startling everyone, and I mean everyone, were standing by the door. I hurried past them, wanting to flee before anyone could stop me or say anything. I put on my shoes in a breaking record, and everyone were gathering around the giant, my giant, and asking questions all at once.

"I think it was a 'yes'." Was all what Chanyeol said and I let myself smile when I heard that, closing the door. 

 


OH that was my first attemp to write Baekyeol...