CHAPTER 79

Does It Matter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

u might want to reread the whole fic before u read this chapter

Wendy

Things can get more stellar than they already are. Always. And it was always the simplest of things that make it happen.

Sana… well, she’s institutionalized. She needs help. And there’s nothing wrong with that. The past few weeks were crazy but things will always be what they have to be. I want to ask Mark about her but I understand that I have no right to know. Or maybe, it’s not something I should concern myself about anymore. I’m worried about her, alright. But her case is something that should be handled by professionals. Like Mark’s colleagues. And even though I wanted to know, I have to let it go.

One thing’s for sure, though: she’s receiving the help that she needs. And, hopefully, someday she’ll really get better. Because even though I don’t know her that well and she may have been the reason why things got hard to a lot of people, she’s also human like all of us. She makes mistakes. And maybe it just so happened that she’s a special case.

Back to the stellar thing, well, we’ve finally had a good sleep. Finally. But it was more than that. To me, it was knowing that we’ve surpassed yet another challenge in this relationship. Wow. Who would’ve thought that I’d become this person?

I took a sip on my tea but for a moment I’ve forgotten how hot it was so I ended up burning my tongue.

“Stop spacing out, okay?” Mark said before sitting in the chair right across mine.

“I’m not spacing out, though.”

“Oh yea?”

“Okay maybe I am. I was just thinking of… things.”

“Like what?”

“Us.”

“Us?”

“We’re no longer teenagers, I know that very well. But I am still amazed. We’ve come so far, you know?” And we really did. It started with a stupid crush on college. Who would’ve thought that I’ll end up being with him after so many years? It was a rough road but he’s worth the trouble. “And hey, I’m also thinking about Sana.”

“What about her?”

“I don’t know, really. I hope, one day, she’ll be fine.”

“Fine is a big word, Wendy. We will never know. But hopefully.”

“She deserves so many good things but the world is anything but good to her. But yes, one day, hopefully.”

He didn’t say anything after that. I don’t know what’s he’s planning to do today but I’m not going anywhere outside this apartment. I just want to relax and reflect. It’s always good to reflect, right? After all, you it is important to know yourself very well.

***

Freshman students are always so interesting. “Okay so,” I grinned, “I am allowing you to choose any book with a movie adaptation—”

“Yes—”

“But you will have to write a review about the two. Try to be comprehensive as much as you can. Study it well. It’ll be 30% of your final grade.”

“20 pages, Miss?” a student asked.

“Yes.”

“But we’re freshmen!”

“…what’s your point?”

“We can’t do it.” she answered smugly. So sure of herself. Everyone agreed but I’m sorry, I’m a lady with a firm decision.

“How will you know if you can’t when you haven’t tried it yet?”

“But Miss!” and many more complains. Over the years, I’ve learned how to shut them up in my head.

“Class dismissed!” and announced with a cheerful voice and immediately exited the room before someone can complain in my face even more. They have to learn. It may seem hard for freshmen students but they have over a month to work on it. I’ve given them the freedom to choose, too. So they should give their best.

Since it’s almost lunch, I headed to the faculty lounge to eat. There I saw Miss Seulgi, a co-teacher and also a friend. “Miss Wendy?”

“Yes?”

“What’s the size of your ring finger?”

“Wha - why so random?”

“Nothing. You know that my family has a jewelry business, right? I thought your ring finger will be a good basis for new models that we will be releasing.”

“Uhm,” this is weird, “I’m not sure about that.”

“But I am!” she replied a little too quickly. “I mean, I am.” And even faked a cough! Something’s up. I’m pretty sure about that.

“Are you…”

“What?” she can’t even look at me in the eyes!

“Are you planning to propose to me or something? Are you gay?”

“Wh—what? Wow. I mean, I’m not. I mean, there’s nothing wrong with being gay but,” Mark told me that most of the time, when people can’t look at you in the eyes, they’re probably anxious. So my question is, what is she so anxious about? “I shouldn’t have agreed with this.”

“Come again?”

“Don’t mind me. I’m going now.” Then she gathered her things in her bag and left me here wondering why, for the life of me, is she asking for the size of my ring finger?

So weird.

When I got home, Mark is already there. “Uhm, you’re early.”

“I am.”

“Why?”

“What do you mean why? Am I not allowed to be home early?”

“No.”

“But,” he pointed at me, “You’re also early.”

“There’s an even tomorrow so…”

“Ah. Right. She forgot to mention that to me.” I didn’t catch what he was saying but he was just probably talking to himself. Like always. “Do you want something?”

“Why so sudden?”

“Treat yourself, babe. Eat nice food. So… you’re craving for something?”

“Some fancy dinner? Not sure. But I want some yoghurt…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter