CHAPTER 27

Does It Matter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

x

Wendy 

“What?” I know that Jackson is crazy but I didn’t know that his craziness will reach the point where he would ask me and Mark to pose for him for his project. “No ing way!”

“Come on, guys! I need this in my portfolio.” Jackson is majoring at advertising design so he has no choice but to enroll to photography. “Help a good friend!”

“Who said you’re a good friend?” Mark said quietly in the corner. He’s giving Jackson his infamous death glares but it seems that Jackson gained immunity to that special look. Something you will only receive after spending half of your life with Mark.

“Bro, all you have to do is pose!”

“That’s the point.” Mark shot me a look but I don’t know what that look means so I ignored him. I can see him rolling his eyes.

“And Jackson, we’re not even a couple to begin with.”

He leaned to my ears and whispered: you will be soon, so I had to jab him in the stomach.

“Be quiet.” Huh. Like that’s going to happen. I grinned at Mark and just rolled his eyes. Idiot. “Romantic love? Seriously? That’s your theme?”

“My professor gave me that theme for our final portfolio.”

“Find other models.” Mark suggested.

“I don’t want to. I already have an idea so no, no, no. My idea fits the two of you.”

“Then think of another idea that will fit other models.”

“I can’t imagine other models posing for this project. Please? Just help me out. I’ll treat you to In-N-Out.”

“That’s all we get?” No freaking way. “Jackson, that’s not enough.”

“Then what do you want me to do? Help you get in his pants?” he pointed at Mark and I covered his mouth by instinct. He should learn how to shut his mouth.

He removed my hand in his mouth and shot me a disappointed look. “Then what do you want me to do?” He looks frustrated but at the same time, he looks so… funny.

“Don’t laugh at me, Wendy. I’m serious here.”

“Sorry. It’s just that you look so pathetic! Just find other models.”

“I said I don’t want to!”

“But we also don’t want—”

“We’ll do it.” We stopped.

“Huh?” I looked at Mark, confused. And then at Jackson who’s smiling widely. Jackson ran to Mark and hugged him like he’s his boyfriend. Their bromance is unreal. They can deny it but they love each other way too much.

“Bro, you’re the best.” Bro. Jackson’s arm is still around Mark’s shoulder and I want to take a picture of them. Best bro award goes to Mark Tuan and Jackson Wang.

“Seriously? We’re going to do it?” Between the two us, Mark’s the first one to disagree about this photoshoot but look at him now.

“He’ll be up all night sending stupid messages until we agree. Let’s not prolong the agony.”

“Now that’s not so sweet of you,” Jackson scoffed and walked away from his bro. “Ah. Have I mentioned that we’re going to do the photoshoot at your house? I already asked your parents and they already said yes.”

“You already planned everything before asking us.” I deadpanned. “That’s awesome, Jackson! Next time you might be planning our wedding and we have no idea about it.”

“Oh. Thanks for the idea, Wendy. I might just do that! Let’s see…ten years from now.” Mark and I looked at him because he’s being annoying again.

“Will you ever stop?” I asked. But of course my question is ludicrous. Jackson Wang? Stop? Never going to happen unless maybe the sun turns mint green.

***

“I should be revising for finals right now.” I said. Mark grunted and I’m guessing he’s supposed to be doing that, too—instead of posing for Jackson Wang.

“Mark! Put your arms around Wendy,” Jackson yelled and I grunted. “Act like you did it unconsciously. And Wendy, act like you’re shy.”

I didn’t know that the Tuans have expansive lawn and a pool. What a perfect place to live in. His nieces are also here and they’re watching us. They’re so cute I just want to hug them both.

“Guys! Act like the two of you is so much in love with each other.” Do I still have to act? Well Mark has to. But I don’t. I tilt my head over to see him and he’s looking at me. “Perfect!” then I can hear continues snapping of camera. “Now Wendy,” and Jackson continued instructing us what to do. Am I the only who can feel the awkwardness? Or Mark’s just acting?

I can’t tell.

Jackson made me sit on the lawn. “Cross your legs and act like you’re sleepy. Look at the sky,” I did what he asked me to do, “And Mark, just stand behind her and look at her like she’s some kind of jewel.”

“Jackson, can we hurry up?”

“No!” no answered without looking at me. “Wendy, look at Mark through your peripheral vision and Mark, look away.”

“Jackson, I’m hungry!”

“Few more minutes, Wendy.” He’s checking the pictures and I hope they turned out well. This is tiring. “Okay. Now you guys decide for your pose. Make it look natural.”

Natural?

“So… what now?” I asked Mark but he just rolled his eyes. “Should I hug you? Yeah. I’ll do that. Purely business. And rest your chin over my head.”

“Nice!” Jackson yelled and there goes another series of snapping.

“Just one more pose, guys!”

“I thought you already have an idea!”

“I do but I thought I should make the two of you decide for the last shots.” For real, though? I’ll kill him after this.

“Your neck is ticklish.” Mark said out of nowhere.

“Huh? How did you know?”

“I just noticed.”

“O…kay?”

“I’ll stand behind you,” he whispered. “Jackson we’re ready!”

Maybe I look confused and Jackson looks confused, too. But I did what Mark asked me to do.

“Jackson, just keep taking pictures. Don’t stop until I say so.”

Jackson made the okay sign and I still have no idea what’s happening—until Mark did the unexpected.

He ing kissed my nape after wrapping my hair around his fingers.

His warm lips are enough to send huge amount electric nerve impulses throughout my body—from the top of my head down to the tips of my toes. I’m electrocuted. Can I charge him for anything?

I didn’t realize that he already left and went to play with his nieces. This is what you call dumbfounded.

“That’s a good one!” Jackson said excitedly as he run towards me. “Look.” He showed me the last shots but I can’t focus, “Picture perfect!” All I could think of was the lingering touch of Mark’s lips on my nape.

This won’t do.

“Mark,” I trudged towards him because I just can’t seem to carry my legs. “Can we talk?” He’s making everything hard for me. Let’s include walking.

He didn’t say anything but we entered their house and then his room.

“Why did you do it?” This is too much. I’m scared to hear his answer. If he’s just toying with me then I don’t know anymore. Maybe I can push him on their pool and drop a plugged toaster. Then I’ll jump later on.

“Did what?” Please don’t act like an innocent when your lips just literally touched my skin. On purpose.

“Don’t play dumb.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter