CHAPTER 23

Does It Matter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

x

Wendy

“Are you free on Saturday night?”

He looked at me, amused. “Why? Are you asking me out on a date?”

“Can you not?” He’s unbelievable. “Stop being annoying or I’ll cut your balls off.”

“Is that how you treat your crush?”

“I will cut your balls off and you will cry.” It’s obvious that we’re back to normal—okay maybe not so normal because he keeps on teasing me—he’s being annoying again. Annoying Mark isn’t amusing.

“Okay I’ll stop. But why are you asking me out?” his brows furrowed in a tight knit and I want to punch him square in the face because he can’t be treating me like this—like I’m wrapped around his fingers.

“I’m not asking you out. It’s just that Irene’s supposed to go with me in All Time Low’s concert but their professor made them write a fifty-page paper about some I don’t really know and it’s due next week. She gave me the ticket and I don’t know what to do with it. I asked—”

“Wendy—”

“—Jackson but he’s also kind of busy so I ended up asking you—”

“Wendy!”

“Uh, sorry, what?”

“I’ll go with you.”

“What?”

“I said I’ll go with you.”

“You’re not busy?”

“I am but I could use some break.” I grinned upon hearing that.

“Nice.” I huffed. Huh, I’m just glad that he agreed. I don’t want to go alone. I love All Time Low and it’ll be a shame to go alone. “Uh, but, do you even like All Time Low?” the tickets are also expensive!

“I listen to them from time to time.”

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Yeah. Okay.” Last time I checked… we’re not Hazel and Augustus and Okay is not our Always. Okay… this is so random. To be honest the book is good but I don’t think it’s that good. And the movie is a little meh. Not that I’m hating on TFiOS or John Green but people, especially girls, should read books written by badass writers like Marie Lu, Victoria Aveyard and Ally Carter (my personal favorite). “Do you just ever ask yourself sometimes why people think so randomly?”

“What?”

“Just answer my question.” I demanded.

“No. But I do think randomly that sometimes everything that comes out of my mouth is… random.” I sighed. “Why’d you ask?”

“Nothing,” I said quickly. I don’t want him to think that I’m being this little nerd again. I’m not ashamed of being one but I’ve too much of a nerd in front of him and even though I won’t admit it to anyone in million years, I know for a fact that I’m trying to impress him. “Come on. Let’s eat. I’m hungry.”

“You’re going to treat me?”

“What?” Is he crazy? Why would I treat him? “No. I won’t. But I’m giving you no choice but to come with me so come on.”

“Pig.”

“You don’t call a girl pig!” I snapped. It is plain stupid and insulting. Really.

“I’m not discriminating anyone if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“But you just did! You insulted me!” Why am I picking a fight anyway?

“No, I’m just stating the fact that you like to eat. Like a pig.”

“You should call yourself that.” I walked faster because I’m annoyed. How can people judge so easily? And I’m not even affected because he called me a pig. I’m affected because he’s mirroring the society that judges someone based on their looks.

“Between the two us I know more about the effect of bullying to someone.”

“But you didn’t seem to realize that little words can affect someone’s life so much!” I walked even faster because I’m seriously, seriously pissed. But it doesn’t help that he’s got long legs and I’m a midget.

“I do know that!”

“Shut up. You don’t.” I might be crazy but I can’t seem to stop.

He grabbed me by my elbow and made me face him (forcefully). To be honest I like it better when he doesn’t talk. His eyes are dark and he looks so scary. “We both know that I don’t get annoyed easily.”

“Yeah. But I get annoyed easily. And you should reflect on what you’ve said!”

“I’m just teasing you, for ’s sake! I’m just kidding!”

“But it’s not a good joke. And imagine yourself saying that to an overweight kid; of course she’s going to be affected by that joke—well… most likely. Who knows if she’ll start starving herself… or worse, kill herself?” this is ridiculous! “Words affect people, Mark. Maybe you should shut up? That’s what you always do, right?”

“Or maybe… you should be the one doing that.”

“Shut up!”

“I like you.” Upon hearing his words, my breath hitched and I don’t think I can hear anything but my own heartbeat.

“Wh—”

“Did that affect you?” why does it feels like I’m seeing the world being crashed, in my face, and I can’t do anything about it? Words are so powerful… they can make someone’s day or end someone’s life. “Now that shut you up.”

Wow. I can’t believe what’s happening. I might have overreacted but he doesn’t have the right to play with me like that.

“I ing hate you.”

“You spat the words like you mean them. How ironic.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter