CHAPTER 73

Does It Matter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

x

Wendy

Mark successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis and I couldn’t be more proud and happy for him. I literally squealed in delight when he told me about it. I was having lunch with the other faculty members at the diner near the school when I received a text message from him. Good thing I was able to stop before I made fool of myself.

I’m so happy that I even paid for our bill.

When I got home, I made sure to cook his favorite food and even baked a red velvet cake for him. I expected him to be home early but his seniors asked him to take them out so he did as he was told. The problem with that man is that sometimes, he just can’t say no.

I hope my effort won’t go to waste. I even dismissed my last class a little earlier just so I can do this for him so I’m really going to be really disappointed if he’s not going to taste any of the food that I made just for him. I stared at the door a little longer hoping it will open anytime soon but it’s already 8PM and I guess it’s something that you should celebrate with your colleagues.  

I waited for another two hours but Mark’s still out. I guess I should just give up. We can celebrate tomorrow or something, anyway.

I took a quick bath and change to my sleeping clothes. I wore my favorite pajama pants and paired it with his shirt that I really like because what’s more comforting to wear when you’re a little sad?

I closed the bedroom door with a huge frown on my face then lied on the bed.

Wow. I’m not even sure why I’m so disappointed right now. Sleeping won’t make things any better but I’m really beat. At this point, it’s all I can do. I don’t think I can face him with a smile. Sure, I’m happy for him. Really, really happy for him. But he should’ve known!

I tried fighting back my tears but sometimes… it’s just impossible to. I let them fall on my cheeks down to my pillow. I sat down and I was about to curse him as loud as possible when the door opened. I lied down again and covered my body with the blanket. I sniffed as quietly as I could but maybe I’m not that really good at being quiet. I’m such an emotional person… maybe I should ask Mark how to control my emotions.

He didn’t say anything but I can tell that he’s staring at me. I heard him sigh and curse but I’m still not going to say anything. Few moments later, I can hear the shower from the bathroom. Damn. I hope I’ll fall asleep before he’s even done.

But as the loser that I am, I’m still wide awake.

He lied down beside me and pulled me by my waist. He removed the blanket that’s covering my head and kissed the crown of my head. My back is facing him and even though I want to hug him and congratulate him, I still can’t offer him a smile and I don’t want his day to end with my frown. I don’t want to ruin this special day for him.

“I’m really sorry” he whispered, his voice sounds like he’s extremely tired “I should’ve said no to them.” He muttered something himself that sounds like “I ed up” or something close to that.

“It’s okay.” I replied. I tried to sound like it’s nothing to me.

“It’s not,” he hugged me tighter and then he buried his face in my neck and then placed his lips around my ears, “I know it’s not.”

I sighed. This won’t do.

“We’re both tired,” I’m such a loser, “Let’s talk about this tomorrow, okay?” I pleaded.

“How can I sleep when I know for a fact that you’re mad at me?”

“I’m not mad,” I’m really not. “In fact, I’m happy for you. It’s just that I’m a little disappointed. I thought you’re going to celebrate your success with me first.”

He keeps on saying sorry and who am I to ignore him?

I finally turned to ‘face’ him but instead of actually showing him my (tear-streaked) face, I buried my face in his chest. I encircled my right arm around his waist and then pinched him. “I’m not going to complain,” I can tell that he’s already grinning, “I deserved it.”

I gave him another pinch on the arm and then more and more. I hope they won’t bruise. I don’t want to ruin his unbelievably flawless skin but this is the only way I could think to let him think further of what he did. “I’m not asking you to spend the best days of your life with me, okay? It’s just I had too much expectations.”

“Don’t say that.” He said sharply. “I just ed up today but listen to me when I say that I’m more than willing to spend the best days of my life with you. After all, you’re part of it.”

“We’re not teenagers,” I finally let myself laugh and it feels good, “Don’t be so cheesy.”

“I’m just telling you the truth.”

“I know you’re just trying to make me smile but okay, don’t worry too much, I believe you.”

He detached his body from mine and then he sat down on the bed. He urged me to do the same. “Are you happy for me?”

“Very. Even cooked your favorite dishes and baked a cake for you. Let’s just eat them tomorrow.”

“Have you had your dinner yet?”

“Of course.” I really did eat. I eat when I get frustrated and I got so frustrated while waiting for him.

“Honestly I already ate… so much! But if you haven’t eaten you, I’ll most certainly join you in finishing the food you made for us.”

“That’s so sweet of you but we still have tomorrow.”

“You’re right.”

“Of course!” I grinned and then I leaned closer to him to give him a kiss. “Congratulations!” He grinned back it’s funny because a moment ago I was just so disappointed at him but who am I to ignore someone who asked for forgiveness?

“Thank you,” he cupped my cheeks and I thought he was going to kiss me but he squeezed my cheeks and believe me when I say that I’m more than willing to slap him right now. He knows I hate it when he does that. “Sing a song for me.”

I started bouncing up and down on the bed and I finally decided that I have to stand up—and so I did—and of course, since I’m going to sing for him, he had to stand up with me and be crazy with me.

“They said all teenagers scare the living out of me,” Now I have my air guitar with me while I bang my head up and down, “They could care less as long as someone will bleed,” and like the real rock star that I am, of course I have to make my (only) viewer to do it with me, “So darken your clothes or strike a violent pose,” it’s nice to have someone who’s as crazy as you are, “Maybe they’ll leave you alone but not me!”

I stopped after that line because my head feels so light now. “I’m dizzy,” I whined. He chuckled and then we sad on the edge of the bed, “I shouldn’t have done that.”

“Yeah.” I glared at him. He’s not supposed to agree with me! I know that he knows that I’m giving him disapproving looks but he ignored me. “Now sing for me.”

“Are you serious?”

“Of course. I defended my Ph.D.,” he said like that’s enough reason for me to sing a song for him, “Successfully.” He added.

“Alright.”

“I want to hear L.O.V.E.” I gave him a disapproving look.

“Are you doing this because you think you deserved it or you’re just trying to embarrass me?”

“Both.”

“Mark!”

“Just do it.” I glared at him but he’s looking at me expectantly. That look gets me all the time. How can I ignore that look?

“L is for the way you look at me,” I leaned a little closer to him that our lips are almost touching but I’m not going to kiss him yet, “O is for the only one I see,” not yet, “V is very, very extraordinary,” I wiggled my brows and grinned at him like a little idiot, “E is even—” but before I can finish my song, he kissed me.

No.

He’s kissing me. And I’m kissing him back.

We’re like two stars and when we kiss, there’s a stellar collision. But we don’t create black holes or new planets or cause a supernova to explode. We just… collide and crash into each other.

There’s the whole universe around us and we’re just two dots in it but whenever our lips touch and he’s all around me, I feel like I am the universe.

He made me sat on his lap and he started attacking my neck. For goodness’s sake, not again!

“It’s ing hot, Mark. I’m not going to wear a turtleneck tomorrow.” I pushed him away and scrunched my nose. He put a mark, a very visible mark, on my neck three weeks ago and it’s flaming hot here in SoCal but I had to wear turtleneck because I can’t let my students see that.

We talked for a while before lying in bed. He even adjusted the AC’s thermostat so the temperature in our room will decrease so we can snuggle more—if that’s even possible. The distance between is nonexistent and I like it this way. We’re too close. Too close that I won’t be surprised if I wake up tomorrow in his body.

His arms are around me and his head is buried in my neck. Like always. I’m not sure why but I think he likes my neck a little too much. But I don’t find it weird. I like it. And as weird as it sounds, I like burying my face is his neck, too. I love the way he smells, maybe it was his perfume that never really hurt my sensitive nose or the fabric conditioner in his clothes or maybe it’s just the way he really smells. Sweet and a little bit musky.

“I can’t sleep,” I announced, “Help me fall asleep, Mark.”

He didn’t answer but I noticed that his breathing is even. He’s already asleep. He must be really tired.

I can’t believe it. He’ll be Dr. Mark Tuan, Ph.D. in no time. And I’m just Wendy with an MA after my surname. Mark’s achievements are supposed to make me feel threaten or insecure. I’ve read and heard stories about that—about their partners being so much better than them. But I don’t think it’ll be the same for me. I’m (very) happy for what I have. I am (very) happy for Mark. And I’ll always be right after him. And I’ll support him no matter what.

He’ll be so much busier. He might not have enough time for me. But I will always believe in him. Always. And I don’t really care what other people are going to say, I’ll stick with him and I know that he’ll stick with me. We’re not going to leave each other’s side ever again. And even though some people said love is not enough to make the world go round, what they don’t know is that love is enough to make someone’s world twist and churn around.

It’s 1AM and I’m still wide awake. I removed myself away from him so I can get water. Man, this isn’t good. I still have class tomorrow and I’m not about to teach my students like I’m baked or something. I have to fall asleep… as soon as possible!

Mark’s eyes are open when I got back to our room. “You’re still awake?”

“Obviously. I can’t sleep!”

“My poor baby,” he opened his arms so I let myself collapse in them, he supported my weight with his own and fixed our position before my hair, “Let’s just talk until you’re sleepy.”

“But you’re no fun!” I teased. “Let’s do something else.”

“Are you trying to be naughty?” he asked, chuckling.

“Wh—no!” He’s such an idiot. “And don’t call me baby.”

“Baby.”

“It’s not funny, okay? Don’t call me that.”

“But you’re my baby.” How can he say that with such voice?

“Except that I’m not a freaking baby.” I hate being called baby. I’m not one. I may be a little too tiny but my height doesn’t count.

“Your cursing toned down,” he has no idea!

“I have to. It’s not like I can curse my students or something.”

“But I like it when you say bad words.”

***

“But Miss Wendy that’s too much!” I rolled my eyes at one of my students.

“One of my professors during my undergrad made us write a review paper with no less than 80 pages. It’s about Jane Austen’s books and the movie adaptation of her books. I’m only asking you to write a review paper about Charles Dickens’s A Tale of Two Cities.”

“Ten pages is too much for high school students, don’t you think so Miss Wendy?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter