Loss & Gain

Timeless Love

 

Song Ji Hyo bit her lips as she kept looking at the door. Sung Joon flipped through the clipboard and took out a pen to jot down notes.

“Song Ji Hyo-ssi,” he asked without looking at her. “Can you face me please?” She turn to the young man holding the clipboard. He looked up at her and smile. “It’s alright, relax.”

He passed on a cup of tea to her. He gestured politeness as she slowly put the cup in her hands and took a sip. He observed her actions, she was biting her lips, gripping her hand, her eyes were stuck to the ground, no confidence and anxious.

She put the cup back on the table, clank! She didn’t mean to let the cup slip on the table but her hands were weak and shaking that she had no control over them. He caught the cup before it spilled.

She gasped and tried to pick up the cup. “I’m…I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright Song Ji Hyo-ssi.” He assured her before sitting back.

“Song Ji Hyo-ssi, how have you been feeling lately? I heard that you’ve been skipping your check up with your previous doctor.”

Ji Hyo looked at him suspiciously, trying to relax.

“I’m… fine.” He nodded his head and smile again.

“Have you been getting enough sleep? Or feeling tired?”

Ji Hyo didn’t know why but she kept rubbing her fingers together.

“Do you see things?” She shot her eyes at him. “Things that are not suppose to be there but it keeps lingering with you.”

“I-I … No… yes…” She tried to think. Sung Joon look at the report in his hand and look back at her.

“Would you like to tell me about it?” She shook her head slightly then nodded but shook again.”

“No…”

“Is there a reason why?”

She stare into his eyes as they make eye contact. “You wouldn’t believe me.”

*Flashback*

Her mother smack her across the face and hit her head. “Liar!”

*Flashback*

“My job is to listen to you. If you don’t tell me, how am I suppose to believe you?” He tried to sit comfortably with her as he sit back. They stayed silent for a moment. Ji Hyo kept turning to the door and waited. He only observed her movements.

“Are you waiting for someone?” He asked, making her tense.

“Nneh…”

“Who are you waiting for?”

“I’m waiting for…” she tried to think but her mind was clouded. “I’m waiting for… Jong Kook oppa…”

“Did you know what you called him a while ago?” and she shook her head.

“Il Kook.” Sung Joon repeated. “You called him Il Kook. Ji Hyo-ssi, who is this Il Kook person?”

“I don’t what you’re saying. I never said that. I don’t who you are talking about.” She denied and got up.

“Song Ji Hyo-ssi,” he stood up, “I must have heard it wrong then. My apologies.” He lightly bowed. “Please sit back down. Jong Kook-ssi will return shortly.” Ji Hyo glared at him before sitting down again.

“Let me reintroduce myself then. I’m Bang Sung Joon. Please see me not as a doctor but a friend. I want to be friends with you.”

“Why?” she looked at him suspiciously. He held his hands and took a deep breath before continuing.

“I was born in Wonju. I heard you lived in Wonju for an amount of time too. We are hometown fellows.” He observed her reaction. He took out his phone and ordered some food. The food came in and he placed the food in front of her.

“I’ve already ate.” Ji Hyo answered.

“These food are best when eaten with a hometown fellow. I heard that you were born in Pohang. Is the food there better or Wonju?” He slurped on the noodle and ate the pickled radish.

Ji Hyo somehow, picked up the bowl and tasted the noodle and soup.

“It’s good isn’t it?” He smiled friendly. She nodded.

“But Pohang food is better.”

“Why? Wonju some of the best organic food.”

She shook her head as she ate with him. “My dad makes better food than that.”

“Really? What does he make?”

“He cooks the seafood and takes me fishing with him most of the time. Pohang seafood is the best.” She was opening up to him now. He continue to be friendly to her.

“I would like to try some one day.” Ji Hyo stopped eating, making Sung Joon look up at her.

“Not anymore.”

“Why?”

“My father… passed away already.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

She shook her head and continue eating. “Don’t be. It was meant to happen.” She looked up at him as he still looked at her. “Cancer.”

He nodded and looked away.

“I was born in Wonju but grew up in an orphanage.” Ji Hyo looked at him too. “I never went to school until I was 10. I have two adopted siblings.”

“I’m…”

“Don’t be sorry for me.” he smiled. “Because it will make me feel horrible. Song Ji Hyo-ssi, please don’t pity me.” She nodded and they continue eating.

After eating they, talked about their childhood memories.

“You seem like the type to have a lot of friends. I bet you were very popular, Ji Hyo-ssi.”

“Ani. My friend was more popular. I only had one best friend.”

“She must be pretty.”

“She is.” Ji Hyo confidently answered. “and she was really confident and outspoken too. Very smart too.”

“Did you have anymore friends?” Ji Hyo stopped to think.

“No…”

“I didn’t have many friends either. Well, a few of them… ended up leaving me.” Sung Joon sadly smile but composed himself. He looked at his watch. “Well then, time’s up.” He stood up. “It was nice talking to you Song Ji Hyo-ssi.”

She stood up too, “You too.” He took out his hand to shake hers as she hesitantly shook back.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” and then Jong Kook entered the room.

“I’m sorry. I was running some errands.” He walked to Ji Hyo and held her hand. “Did you wait long?”

Ji Hyo smiled. “No, it was nice talking to Sung Joon-ssi.” Jong Kook look at Sung Joon and they both nodded their heads at each other.

“Really? Did you forget me then?” He became pouty.

“Of course not.” she kept smiling.

“Look at you, smiling from ear to ear. He must have seduced you huh?” He pinch her cheek. She only smiled and bow to Sung Joon as he return the gesture. They exit the room as Sung Joon saved the recording of their first session.

****

They walked hand in hand down the hall as Jong Kook sat her still. He took out photo albums of him from childhood to high school and college.

*Flashback*

Sung Joon called Jong Kook after the session was over.

“Song Ji Hyo is opening up more to me. But she refuses to talk about the events of her childhood in Wonju. I suggest that you open up to her too, make her trust you. It will help with the next two sessions.”

“I understand.” Jong Kook replied.

*Flashback*

(Listen to: Your Song by Beige)

“Don’t laugh at me okay?” He touched the cover of the photo album. “I’ve never shown this to anyone before.” Ji Hyo nodded her head.

Jong Kook opened the cover and Ji Hyo burst out in laughter.

“Yah. You said you wouldn’t laugh.” Ji Hyo kept laughing and held her stomach.

“Sorry oppa. You’re just too- ahaha.” She pointed to the photo of Jong Kook when he was in high school. He lost a bet with his friends and had to dress up as a girl for the cheerleading team. His hair was tied in a high ponytail on the top of his head, wearing a pink uniform and dancing.

He embarrassingly thought about how he had to dance in front of the whole school. He pulled her close and bit her hand.

“Ah!” She pulled back and hit his hand. “It hurts oppa.” She whine.

“That’s for laughing at me.” Jong Kook looked grumpily at her. She made a face and giggled to herself.

“Okay, no more laughing. I promise.” but she kept giggling. He put the photo album on her lap as they looked through them together. There were photos of him as a baby, very few indeed and when he started growing up. Most of the pictures were from High school and college. He was boxing and fighting in the ring.

“You were a fighter huh? Usually people have more childhood pictures than you.” She .

“My parents didn’t like taking photo of us as children a lot.”

“Why?”

“They were worried that we would be kidnap.” He almost held his breath when he told her that. She nodded her head in response.

“I see, I probably would have kidnap you too.” He immediately look up at her.

“Waeyo? Why would you?”

She turn to him and pinch his nose. “Because you’re too cute. Kookie~” She aegyo. He smiled brightly and became excited. He started telling her the rebellious things he did growing up. From clogging the toilet to pranking the bad students. Running from the bad students and getting in trouble for fighting. He passionately talked about how he met his best friends, Yoon Kye Sang and Joo Ji Hoon. He started gossiping like an ahjumma and she nodded her head while looking through the albums.

She finally yawned as they finish going through the photo albums. But he kept talking about his change for the better to become healthy. He stopped smoking and drinking, and fooling around with girls, claiming to be a popular student back then.

“Oppa, can we talk more tomorrow? I’m actually kind of tired…” She spoke softly.

“Okay.” He stopped like a little kid who was ordered to be quiet. Ji Hyo pulled his hand close and bit his wrist.

“Ah! Ji Hyo-ah!” He groan in pain as she lay on his lap.

“I’m going to take a nap. Wake me up after 30 minutes okay oppa?” She rest her head on his lap and clutched his other hand. He looked at her resting on his lap and look at her hand where she bit. Her teeth mark a shape like a clock on the area where a watch was suppose to be. He smiled and rubbed her head.

“Oppa will hum you a tune okay?” then he started humming.

Heal soon Ji Hyo. I can’t wait to be with you like this every day. Jong Kook played with her hair as he laid his head back on the side of the couch. The clock on the room ticked but he didn’t bother to wake her up. She was resting peacefully. His ‘clock’ she made had no way of telling time. It was timeless.

****

Jong Kook woke up alone in the dark room. He heard water running in the bathroom. He walked inside to look for Ji Hyo. She was in the tub, harshly rubbing her skin as it turned red. As if she was rubbing a way something disgusting off of her, then she threw the scrubber at the wall. She pushed her body in the tub of water. Jong Kook immediately rushed in the tub and pulled her up.

“Song Ji Hyo!” He pulled her out of the water. Her hospital clothes was all wet and stick to her body as her hair drenched and drops of water fell off to the tub. He was wet too as he grab her shoulder. “Why are you doing this?!”

Ji Hyo looked at him miserably. He only shook her. “Cheongshicharyeo! (Wake up / focus)”

He waited for her answer but he notice her eyes were pink and swollen again. She must’ve had a nightmare again.

“I’m dirty… I’m disgusting…It’s sickening…” She stare at him blankly. “Didn’t you say so?”

*Flashback*

“Let me make it clear for you. Stop bothering me, I’m not fond of actresses, especially one like you. It is sickening.” He emphasized the last word in disgust.

*Flashback*

Jong Kook stare at her in disbelief and gulped, biting his tongue

“I… It was an accident. It was just-“

“Just what?” She stare at him like a stranger.

It was for Kye Sang’s sake, he said to himself.

“It was just a slip of tongue.” He replied. “You’re not dirty. I am. I am dirty. It’s all my fault.” He had seen and killed many people in the underground world while revenging for Honey. She was no where near dirty like him.

He pull her in his chest. “You’re not dirty. I’m sorry for saying that. I didn’t mean it. Please don’t hurt yourself anymore. It hurts me too.” he hugged her as she only stayed still.

****

Hyung Sik ran into the hospital building and shove passed the people. He went around the building looking for her as he clutched his chest nervously.

“Where is Soo Jin-ah! Park Soo Jin!” he demanded from the reception and nurses. He sees police officers crowed in a room and he sprinted there.

He shoved passed them as the police stopped him.

“My person is in there. Move!”

They moved after he took out his ID and proved he was related to Soo Jin.

Hyung Sik slowly went over to the bed to only meet a lifeless Soo Jin on the hospital bed.

“Soo Jin-ah!” He quickly went to grab her and pulled her into his arms. He touched her face and tried to wake her up. “Soo Jin-ah, yah Park Soo Jin. Wake up, wake up right now! I’m here. Yah Soo Jin! Soo Jin noona!” He tried to shake her but no response. There were bruises on her face and her dress was torn. He started crying and hug her with his eyes mix with anger and fear.

The cops came inside and ordered him to get away from her. But he couldn’t hear them as he was only paying attention to Soo Jin. The detective came in and told them that Hyung Sik is not the culprit. He went over to them and was shocked to see Hyung Sik hugging the lifeless Soo Jin in his arms.

Ji Yeon followed them in only to witness the same. She gasped in horror. They tried to get a hold of Soo Jin but Hyung Sik refused to let them touch her.

“Don’t touch her!” The cops restrained Hyung Sik from holding Soo Jin as the nurses try to maintain her body.

“Park Soo Jin ssi has passed away. Murdered, a total of nine stabs to the abdomen and chest. Death time seems to have occur within 4 hours ago.” The doctor reported to Detective Joo.  

“Get your dirty hands off her!” yelled Hyung Sik who as trying to pull away from the two cops. Hyung Sik finally got out of their gripped as Soo Jin laid still on the bed pale and not moving at all. He ran to grab her and ordered the detectives and police to exit the room. e punched the detectives and ordered them to stop taking photos of her. He went back to hold her. The Chief detective ordered them to stop and let Hyung Sik off.

“Soo Jin-ah. I’m here. Don’t be scared! No one can hurt you anymore.” She was in his embrace but no response as she was dead. His tears fell as he caressed her now cold skin. Blood stain on his clothes as he held her. He mourn for her, his friend, his noona.

*Flashback

Hyung Sik was pulled out of the water by a pair of bloody hands. The little teenage girl was giving him CPR and trying to wake him up. He spat out the water and squirm for breath. She then let out a breath of relief and held him in her arms. He tried to get away as he thought it was the old man. But she pulled him to face her.

“Hyung Sik-ah, Hyung Sik-ah! It’s me. Soo Jin. It’s noona!” Hyung Sik stop when he realized it was her and not him. He then cried in her arms and hugged her. She tightly held him in her arms. The tiny boy whimpered and so did she.

“I’m sorry. I won’t be late again. Thank you, for living my little brother.” They then let go of each other. “W-w-what about him? W-where is Father Jo?” Hyung Sik asked in fear. The girl looked back at him with tears in her eyes, then he noticed it. Her hands were covered in blood, her shirt stained and torn. Her neck splattered with blood. That’s when he knew what happened, how she got away to save him. She killed him, for him. She sobbed at him.

“D-don’t worry. Don’t be afraid. We are safe now. I won’t let anyone hurt you anymore. Uhuh *crying hard*” She gripped his shirt and shivered in fear and relief.  They both cried together, the two children cried for each other.

*Flashback to present

They are now in the same situation, except that it was too late. She’s dead and he’s alive…

Ji Yeon only silently look in the room as Hyung Sik kept crying over Soo Jin’s dead body. Kye Sang watch from afar and turn away as he blamed himself. Sung Joon ran to the door, cathcing his breath as he enter to witness the scene. He was speechless too. No words can describe his feelings as Hyung Sik weeped.

****

A few days has passed and after the two sessions with her doctor, she had open up at times. But whenever asked about her lifestyle in Wonju, she would stay silent.

Today, Jong Kook pulled Sung Joon aside as they were outside the room.

“Doctor Bang, is there any way you can make Ji Hyo open up faster?”

“Kim Jong Kook-ssi, most doctors like to force their patients to open up with the line, ‘trying to help them.’ But it does not work like that with me and Song Ji Hyo-ssi. Judging from the observations of her reactions, she has trust issues. She will only open up when she wants to. She needs to ask for help and that is the only way I can go in and do my work. It seems like she had been betrayed by someone she trust.”

“She…” Jong Kook reluctantly spoke. “She keeps trying to harm herself.”

Sung Joon glared at him seriously. “Why didn’t you report this earlier?”

“I… I didn’t know what to do. She was happy for a moment then moody- Don’t you think the drug should be out of her system by now? It’s already been a week-“

“Look here Kim Jong Kook-ssi. Haven’t you discuss Song Ji Hyo’s medical history and diagnosis with her previous doctor before?” Sung Joon interrupted. “A ually abused patient who’s taking anti-depressant medication is forcefully given almost an overdose amount of LSD. The drug causes distorted visuals, moods, and judgement. On top of that, hallucinations and experience terrifying thoughts that could lead to suciide in the long term. Do you even know what psychosis is?!” He raised his voice at the older man.

“From the two previous sessions, there were times she wouldn’t pay attention to what I was saying and look around the room, twitching at every move I make. She is not crazy. She needs urgent help. If you’ll excuse me, I have a session.” He turned around to the door.

“I hoped you didn’t make her lose her trust in you today.” Jong Kook looked at the back of the young man. “Because she will need you after today’s session. Oh and no matter what happens, please don’t open the door. Since you didn’t report her severe condition, today will be one of the hardest steps for Song Ji Hyo to face her problem. I believe I can help her… if you let me, Kim Jong Kook-ssi.” He said and silently entered the room.

Jong Kook looked away and reluctantly followed the assistant to the recording room again. He kept looking at the door until he turned the corner.

****

Whew! That was long. Thank you for the comments and for reading. I'm glad that the pace is getting better. Thank you for supporting this story. It's my first time trying to write this type of story, so many complications Bleh. Hope you enjoy it and continue to leave me comments. Hwaiting! see ya bunnies :)