Strong

Timeless Love

First of all, I would like to apologize to those who are waiting for the Spartace moments. This chapter will still be dedicated to the JiHyung Couple. I kinda ignore them in the middle so I wanted to make up for them. I'm sorry for those who anticipated the Spartace moments. But I promise you the next chapter WILL definitely be the Spartace moments. I apologize once again bunnies. Please enjoy!

******************************************************************************

Ji Yeon woke up a she heard commotions of the children. She opened her eyes slowly as her eyes were swollen from last night. She couldn’t move as she felt a warm body next to hers. She tried to shift her head and there she saw him. Hyung Sik was sleeping soundlessly as she felt his arms around her tighten. She wanted to get up but she was afraid of waking him up. She reached her hand to move his hair from his face.

Butterflies flutter in her stomach as she tried to memorize his features. As her finger tips touched his nose, he moved a bit. Ji Yeon quickly stopped and drew her hand back.

“You’re actually quite handsome when you are asleep.” she smiled. But then she sighed. She didn’t remember what happened last night other than the fact that she drank and started singing. That was all she could remember.

Why was she in his arms? Why were they on the same bed? Did anything happen last night? She quickly checked to see if they were still dressed and yes they were. She was relieved. But then she faced him again. Their marriage was nothing to him. She remembered how he looked at her in the rain. His eyes were cold and angry, a bit hurt. Why was he hurt? She touched his face softly.

“Don’t look at me like that… I might really fall for you…” She said softly. Then his hand moved and touched her hand on his face as he put her hand in his. She tried to check if he was still asleep and he didn’t move. “Thank goodness he’s not awake yet.” She carefully moved his hand and release herself from his grasp as she got off the bed. She fixed the blankets to cover him and went to change her clothes.

As the door shut, Hyung Sik opened his eyes. He was actually awake before her and pretended to sleep. And he heard everything. He rolled over and tried to digest it all. Why was he softening up? He likes Soo Jin right? Why was he wavering? Was Sung Joon really right? Thinking of Sung Joon, he remembered how he looked at Ji Yeon last yesterday.

“That punk is trying to test me. Argh, stress~” He covered himself under the blankets.

****

Ji Yeon was walking up and down the neighborhood to return the umbrella to the mister from yesterday. Hyung Sik said that she can go if she wants and that he won’t follow her. Actually, he had been ignoring her that whole morning so she decided to go on her own, indeed being the person he was he followed her behind. She sees the little children go to school and busy street.

Ji Yeon tried to find her back to the stairs from last night as she bumped into a young lady.

“Excuse me, how do I get to the stairway?” Ji Yeon asked.

The lady looked at her from head to toe, as if judging her. “Go down this path and turn a right when you reach the little booth. Continue that way and the main road is there. You can find your way from there.”

“Oh, thank you.” Ji Yeon bowed lightly and went towards the path the young lady told her.

“Hold on,” the lady called her again. Ji Yeon turned around to face her. The lady walked towards her. She was in front of Ji Yeon as she examine the umbrella.

“Where did you get this umbrella?”

 “Someone lent it to me.”

“Who?” she asked seriously, as if anticipating.

Who is she? Ji Yeon wondered.

“Why?”

“Who lent it to you?” She sounded more stern.

“Who are you?” Ji Yeon asked her instead.

The two ladies had a stand off as they kept their gazes tight.

“The owner of this umbrella.” Ji Yeon confusedly look at her.

“Are you related to the man who gave it to me?” The lady smirked and touched the handle of the umbrella.

“I know him. I know him really well.” She looked at the top of the umbrella then at Ji Yeon, whose face was full of curiosity.

“He killed my brother.” Ji Yeon’s eyes widen at the sudden words. “This umbrella belonged to him. It was his most cherished item.”

So that ahjussi is a murderer? Ji Yeon tried to think but she couldn’t. She was holding a dead person’s item.

“Lies.” Ji Yeon walked passed her.

“Give me the umbrella.”

Ji Yeon ignored her but she harshly gripped Ji Yeon’s hand and grabbed the umbrella.

“What are you doing?” Ji Yeon fought over the umbrella with her. Hyung Sik was about to go help her but someone else did. A mature man grabbed the umbrella from the young lady.

“Stop it.” he ordered.

The lady only smirked. “Why should I, you murderer?”

“Before I break your hand, let go of it.”

It brought chills to Ji Yeon’s spine as the man glared at her.

“Break my hand? Going to kill me like how you killed my brother?” She rolled her eyes at him. She gripped the umbrella but he held it firmly. They pulled the umbrella back and forth and the lady broke the umbrella as she stomped on the metal stick and curved it. She smiled in satisfaction then let it go.

The man bent on his knees to pick up the broken pieces. He trembled as he brought the umbrella to his chest. The young lady carried her things and was about to head back in the house.

Ji Yeon felt bad as she saw how the lady treated him. If the umbrella belonged to her brother, why is this man who was his murderer keeping it? Did he really kill her brother? Ji Yeon was about to help him up when he yelled and got up. He grabbed her shoulder and pulled her out to the pathway. He shoved her on the wall and slapped her harshly. The woman screamed as he grabbed the collar of her shirt and banged her on the wall and tried to strangle her.

Ji Yeon tried to stop the man and Hyung Sik ran out of his hiding place to stop the man. The man yelled at her.

“Song Ji Eun!” She was released as they held him back. People came out of the house and tried to stop him and pushed him away as they protected her.

Ji Yeon and Hyung Sik can only try to hold him back. The people were angry and accused him of many things.

“Killing my son was not enough and you’re trying to kill my daughter? May the heavens punish you!”

“Get away from our house this instant!”

“Go away you worthless rascal!”

He finally stopped as he picked up the umbrella again. He walked up to her as they tried to hold him off.

“Next time, I’ll make sure to break your neck you spoiled brat.” Then he walked back up the path, leaving Hyung Sik and Ji Yeon alone.

“Why did you come see him?” Hyung Sik questioned her.

“He lend me his umbrella and asked that I return it so I came to do that.”

“He’s a murderer. Why would accept something from him?”

“That’s what they said, but how do you know if he did or not? Plus, that woman broke it after she said it belong to her dead brother. What kind of sister does that?”

“That’s none of our business. Let’s leave.”

“I can’t. His umbrella broke because of me. I need to get him a new one.”

“Lim Ji Yeon,” But she already ran to buy a new umbrella at the convenience store the lady told her to follow. Hyung Sik had no choice but to follow her.

Ji Yeon made her way to the stairway and stopped when she saw the man sitting there as he touched the wall and held the umbrella in his chest. There was a small music box beside him as he leaned on the wall.

“Excuse me,” She made her way to the bottom steps. He ignored her. “I’m sorry about your umbrella. I bought you a new one. Here,” She handed it to him but he didn’t accept it. She tried handing it again but he didn’t accept it. He only paid attention to the music until it was done playing did he turn to her.

“I don’t want it.”

“W-Why?” She asked. “That umbrella was broken because of me and you won’t be able to use it anymore.” He got up and put the things aside before walking down the steps to Ji Yeon. Hyung Sik went up behind her and put his arm around her waist.

“Just because it’s broken doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed. I, will fix it. I will keep it until the owner comes back.”

“The owner…?”

“Aren’t you afraid of me? I’m a murderer and I almost killed her.” He only stared at her with his lifeless emotions.

Hyung Sik pulled her back protectively. “A man should never hurt a woman.”

“And a mother should never leave her child.” Hyung Sik flinched. What really happened to this man?

“What do you mean?” Ji Yeon asked. “Did someone wrong you?” The man walked back up the stair and sat there.

“Leave.”

“Tell us, maybe we can help you.”

He faced them. “I was seven years old when my mother left me.” Hyung Sik clenched his teeth as it hit him too. His adoptive mother left him when he was seven with his adoptive father who often beated him.

“My father ignored me when she left with another man. He thought I wasn’t his son. I grew up rebelliously and often find trouble with the students who looked down on me.” He leaned forward as his hands rested on his chin.

“I met her. I hated and ignored her to my guts. But in the end, I gave in to her kindness. Because no one had ever given that kind of love and care before. She is my first love. But she was going to leave with another person. He was going to steal her away.” He looked at the sky. “She promised to come back to me. But I didn’t want her to leave. She was my everything.”

“She doesn’t deserve you then.” Hyung Sik said as he looked at the ground in pain.

“But I love her. So much I couldn’t bear seeing her be with someone else. And guess what, he took her away from me. He en snatched her away from me! I, was the one who took care of her when she was sad! I, was the one who comforted her! I, was the one who treasured her more than anything. But in the end, she ran with him… She chose him.” He looked away at the wall as his eyes grew blurry.

The couple look away as each of them was upset. A mother leaving her son and a woman leaving her man. She must have been a horrible woman.

“Where is she, that woman?” Ji Yeon asked. He only stared at the wall and had a faint smile.

“She died,” he look at Ji Yeon, “That’s what they said. But I don’t believe it.” He look up at the sky. “She wouldn’t do that to me… she said she’ll come back. She promised.”

He got up and took his things and prepared to walk away. “Can you help me now?” The grim looks on their faces made him smirk sadly. “I thought so.” he then walked away.

Ji Yeon wanted to go after him but stopped as Hyung Sik held her hand. He stared at the ground restlessly.

“Let’s leave.” Ji Yeon looked at his pink eyes. She was about to say something  but, “Please…” He looked at her desperately as she just nodded. Ji Yeon left the umbrella and walked away with Hyung Sik.

His eyes burn and it hurt. That hell was coming back to him. He had escape it for so many years and those seven words brought the memories all back. ‘A mother should never leave her child.’ He anxiously intertwine his fingers with Ji Yeon as he led their way out. He starts to tremble. He was beaten up several times he was adopted. Father Jo trying to drown him by dunking his head in the water. His vision spin as he stopped abruptly and reached for the wall to balance himself.

“Hyung Sik-ah,” Ji Yeon went to his aid as she saw him collapse to the ground against the wall. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. He repeated the steps but it wasn’t calming him down at all.

“Sssss…” He inhaled and exhaled again. “S-Sung Joon…S-sung Joon…”

“Sung Joon?” She repeated as she tried to listen to his words.

“I need him… Sung Joon.” he whispered sloppily as he shivered.

“I-I’ll be right back. I promise, wait for me okay? Stay here.” and he nodded as Ji Yeon ran off to find Sung Joon.

He shut his eyes as he became dizzy. He blinked and blinked and blinked. Then someone passed by him. He looked at her suspiciously before trying to get up on his own.

“She…. Her…” His world spin as he became extremely dizzy. But he forced himself to follow the elderly woman. She was heading the same path they took before. He fumbled and held the wall to support himself.

“Andwae… andwae…” Hyung Sik tried to follow her as she was disappearing form his view. He crawled on the stairs and tried to follow her. He was about to hit the ground numerous times but he held himself still. He finally stopped when he saw her enter the gate to a house and the man from previous came out to open the door for her.

“No…” He stopped and look at them. No…

He stepped backward and tripped, falling back ward on the ground and look at them in disbelief.

Ji Yeon found Sung Joon by the gate, getting ready to leave.

“Sung Joon-ssi! Sung Joon! Bang Sung Joon!” He turn to see a breathless Ji Yeon running to him. He was quite surprised as she bumped into his arms and held him tightly. Trying to catch her breath she spoke inaudible words.

“What? What happen Ji Yeon-ssi? Speak slowly.” He worriedly look at her.

“Hyung Sik… he- he’s- I don’t know. He’s collapsed and-and told me to come find you. He says- says he needs you.” She finished with each breath.

His eyes widen, “Where is he now?”

“In the neighborhood over there.” Sung Joon immediately sprinted as Ji Yeon quickly followed after him. Hyung Sik was more important than taking a rest. She was so scared, she has never been in this situation before. Sung Joon’s reaction made her even more scared. She almost tripped as Sung Joon turned back and grabbed her hand.

“Quickly!” He urge her and they ran hand in hand to find Hyung Sik. They reached the spot Ji Yeon said he was at but he was no where in sight.

“H-he was just here. I swear, he was here.” Ji Yeon started looking around frantically.

“He should be here somewhere. His condition shouldn’t allow him to go far.” Sung Joon assured her. “Let’s go find him now.”

Ji Yeon nodded quickly without any hesitation and started calling for him. “Park Hyung Sik! Hyung Sik! Where are you!?”

“Hyung Sik-ah!” Sung Joon followed as they ran through the neighborhood.

“Hyung Sik-ssi!” Ji Yeon was going to start crying as her face burned hot. “Yah Park Hyung Sik! I came back! Where are you?! Come out!”

“Hyung Sik-ah! Hyung is here now! Come out!”

“Hyung Sik-ah! Park Hyung Sik!” Ji Yeon ran around yelling as she searched frantically. Sung Joon asked if people if they saw Hyung Sik according to his description. They only shook their heads.

“Husband Park! Where are you? Didn’t you say you were going to marry me?! Park Hyung Sik!” Ji Yeon cried for him as she started trembling. She ran around crying and ran up the stairs. Sung Joon followed her as he called for Hyung Sik too.

“Hyu-“ Ji Yeon stopped as she and Sung Joon saw him. Sung Joon ran to him as Ji Yeon followed suit. Hyung Sik was sitting beside the wall corner as he covered himself.

(Listen to this song until the very end please: It Hurts Instrumental by Shinhwa)

“Hyung Sik-ah,” Sung Joon quickly aid him. Hyung Sik’s body was trembling nonstop. His lips were pale and had cold sweats forming at his temples.

“S-Sung Joon-ah… I-I-“

“It’s okay. Hyung is right here. Everything will be fine.” He quickly took Hyung Sik’s pulse and temperature. Ji Yeon held his trembling hand in hers and tried to warm him up as he had become as cold as ice. She breathe on his hand over and over again, muttering apologies without stopping.

“I’m so sorry. It’s all my fault. I shouldn’t have come back here. I’m so sorry. Please be alright! Please!” tears found its way down her face as he only closed his eyes.  Sung Joon kept trying to make him wake up.

“Breathe, it’s alright. Breathe: inhale, exhale, inhale, and exhale.” Sung Joon urge him. “Trust me!”

Hyung Sik shut his eyes close. The memories haunt him. He was under water and it was hard to breathe. He was dunk in and out of the water. Then he was pushed inside and locked inside. He pounded on the walls and try to get out to no prevail. He couldn’t breathe as his chest tightens. His throat is lumped up. He’s losing his vision and everything is becoming dark.

“I said breathe!” Sung Joon shake him harshly as Ji Yeon tried to warm him up. “Breathe damn it!” He punched Hyung Sik.

“What are you doing?!” Ji Yeon pushed him away.

“Can’t you see?!” he yelled at her, “He’s not breathing!!! If he doesn’t breathe, he WILL suffocate himself to death!”

Breathe? Not breathing? Suffocate? Ji Yeon tried to shake him. She cupped his pale face as he held his knees shivering.

“Hyung Sik-ah, I – I need you to breathe. Please, please breathe. I don’t know what’s going on but please. Breathe!” He didn’t move as he didn’t hear her. His body was growing numb and weak.

Somebody help me. Please. Help us. Hyung Sik squirm in the water as he was going to lose his conscious.

Ji Yeon start hitting him to wake him up. Sung Joon ran to grab a pail of water and splashed it over Hyung Sik. He then notice a tub of water at the end of the streets. He grabbed Hyung Sik and dragged him there as Ji Yeon tried to wake him up but there was no response.

“Hyung Sik-ah!” Ji Yeon cried uncontrollably.

Sung Joon threw Hyung Sik in the tub of water and dunk him in there. Over and over again but he did not respond, only shut his eyes.

“Open your eyes and look at me and breathe you punk!” Sung Joon was trying everything he could without the medical equipment. He was scared of losing Hyung Sik too. He was desperate to save him.

Someone, please. Anyone. Save me. Save us.

“Hyung Sik-ah!” Ji Yeon climbed in the tub with Hyung Sik and tried to slap him awake. Sung Joon tried to hit him and kept dunking him.

“Hyung Sik-ah! Park Hyung Sik!” Ji Yeon’s voice cried through the neighborhood.

He heard her faint voice calling him. He then saw a light in that darkness. His friend and… and wife was calling for him. He slowly opened his eyes.

“Hyung Sik-ah! Open your eyes and breathe!” He squinted his eyes open as he was dunk in the water. That was when he was back to reality. Sung Joon dunked him back and forth.

Hyung Sik pulled his head up in a loud gasp. Ji Yeon and Sung Joon were hysterical as Ji Yeon grabbed him from falling in the water as he was really weak. His face was shot red now as oxygen instantly entered his brain and lungs.

“Look at me.” Sung Joon turned his face to him. “Breathe. Inhale, exhale. Breathe. slowly.” Hyung Sik followed his instructions and tried to regulate his breath. When Sung Joon was sure that Hyung Sik was calm, he finally stopped and slumped against the tub. Ji Yeon gather Hyung Sik in her chest as she try to stop crying and let him rest on her shoulder.

“It’s okay now. It’s okay honey. It’s alright now.” Ji Yeon patted his back. “You did well.”

Sung Joon glared at Hyung Sik as he was able to open his eyes but still leaned on Ji Yeon. He hit the back of Hyung Sik’s head and walked away a few steps from them.

“Ouch!” Hyung Sik rubbed the back of his head as Ji Yeon did the same. Sung Joon rubbed his temples and loosened up his tie. He was really angry at Hyung Sik. He walked back to them and grabbed Hyung Sik’s shirt collar, forcing him to stand up and Ji Yeon helped him up from behind.

“You en *ssh*le. You almost died, did you know that? I almost killed you! Didn’t I tell you to breathe! Didn’t I teach you how to handle these situations? It’s not over yet! You are going to continue the medical checkups, you hear me?! You are going to come no matter how busy you are, I can give no about it!” Sung Joon shouted in Hyung Sik’s face. Hyung Sik smiled slyly.

“I’m not dead yet.” He managed to say.

Sung Joon looked away fuming and tried to control his heavy breathing. He then look back to Hyung Sik with his eyes watery and lowly answered, “I thought I lost you, you punk. Scared me to death.” Hyung Sik smiled as Sung Joon curved up his lips into a faint smile. They pulled each other into a hug as they embraced each other. Ji Yeon just look at them as she witness their brotherhood. Their bond, how envious she was.

*Flashback

They got Sung Joon out of the bag as Hyung Sik cried for him as they were little kids. They ran away as Sung Joon limped with all his strength. The doctor examine his knee and leg.

“I’m afraid the chances that he will be able to walk again are very slim. The joint and knee cap was broken badly. He will have to try really hard if he wants to walk normally again.” Hyung Sik was crying behind the door as he heard the doctor’s medical report for Sung Joon who was 8 years old at the time.

He lied on the bed and looked the other way. Tears rolled down his face as he heard the doctor’s report. Hyung Sik came in after the doctor left and Sung Joon wiped away his tears. He got up and sat.

“You’re here?” Sung Joon smiled. “I thought you had school? How was it? Did you make a lot of friends?” Hyung Sik only looked down. “By chance, did you skip school? Yah, you were the one who was dying to go to school. Why did you skip? I won’t tattle on you. Tell Hyung.”

Hyung Sik raised his head and look at the worried Sung Joon.

“H-Hyung…” Sung Joon was waiting for his answer as Hyung Sik grew teary. “Are you going to be handicap for the rest of your life?”

Sung Joon’s heart sank. He tried to smile. “Y-you heard it? You heard the report?” Sung Joon was hurt but tried to smile. “The doctor-

“Why are you smiling?!” Hyung Sik yelled at him. Sung Joon stopped talking. “Why are you acting tough? The doctor said you won’t be able to walk normally again. How can you smile? Doesn’t it hurt you?” Hyung Sik reached up and touch Sung Joon’s injured knee and leg.

“Your leg.” Hyung Sik started crying out loud as the 7 year old he was. “Who will go to school with me if you don’t get better?!”

Sung Joon let his tears fall as he tried to smile and laugh. “You idiot. The doctor said the chances are slim. Not that I won’t walk again. He said if I tried really hard then I can walk normally again. Why are you crying?” Sung Joon’s face was already wet to his neck. Hyung Sik cried louder.

“Sung Joon Hyung! I’m sorry.”

“Why are you sorry? You didn’t do anything to me.”

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry. I should have saved you.” Hyung Sik was crying really hard as he tremble. He clutched onto Sung Joon’s leg and kept bawling his eyes out.

“Stop crying. Crying won’t do anything. A real man does not cry.” He started to lose control as he cried too. “I’m not going to die yet.” He started bawling as the thought of death came to him. He always thought how death will let him escape. That night, he really wished he had died. But they saved him and he lived. He must live on, if he was meant to die then he would have after getting beaten so many time and suffering so many blows.

“I can’t die yet. I will live on. Hyung won’t die. Hyung is going to walk again and we’ll walk to school together every day. I… I promise you.” Sung Joon bawled uncontrollably. The children cried together in the hospital ward.

Hyung Sik came to visit Sung Joon every day and taught him what he learned. Together they learn math, the alphabet, science, history, etc. Sung Joon went through intensive physical therapy every day. His hope never faded even when he start hating himself. He tried harder as he saw the smile on Hyung Sik’s face.

One day, as if the heavens have finally heard their prayers, Sung Joon was able to walk again, after 700 days, almost 2 full years. They cried tears of joy.

*Flashback to present

Sung Joon carried Hyung sik as his arms were slung over Ji Yeon and Sung Joon’s neck to support him.

Hyung Sik smiled brightly yet weakly. “How lucky I am. The luckiest man on the face of Earth. My brother on my right and my future wife on my left. Daebak,”

Sung Joon and Ji Yeon secretly smiled as their hearts were relieved from the incident, maybe even a little scarred.

“We have to take him to the nearest hospital, Ji Yeon-ssi.” and they went to her car, which was the closest. After they got to the hospital, Hyung Sik was checked in and Sung Joon was authorized to check him too as Hyung Sik is his patient. They were alone in the room as Ji Yeon went to buy them some drinks.

“Hyung.” Hyung Sik sat up on the bed.

“What?” Sung Joon asked as he fixed the amount of iv drops.

“I saw my mom.” Sung Joon almost stopped but continue going.

“Your adoptive mom?” Hyung Sik nodded.

“My real mom.” Sung Joon stopped and turned to look at him.

“Your real… mom?” He almost stutter as Hyung Sik correspondingly nodded.

“Did she, by chance, recognize you?”

“No,” Hyung Sik shook his head. He smiles to himself. “She doesn’t know me. Only I know her. She… She’s willing to raise someone else’s child…. but not me…. What a great mother she is, right?” Sung Joon nodded in agreement.

“Don’t think too much, it’s not good for you.”

“I know right?” Hyung Sik smiled and touched his heart.

“Of course, you idiot.” Sung Joon turned to grab the other clipboard and he suddenly slump. He grabbed onto the nearest thing and balanced himself. He clenched his knee and bit his molar teeth as he felt a slight pain strike him. Hyung Sik sat up immediately.

“Hyung.” He was going to get up and help Sung Joon.

“Stop.” Sung Joon ordered. Hyung Sik got up and was limping toward Sung Joon. “I said stop!” Ji Yeon dropped the bag of drinks and Hyung Sik stopped where he was immediately.

“Stop. Don’t come near me. I-I-I’ll do it myself.” He stuttered and try to pull himself back up. “I’ll do it. I- I will do it. Don’t come near me.” He grabbed hold of the chair and pushed himself up until both of his feet touched the ground. He turned around and smiled faintly.

“See? I told you I can do it.” He tried to walk away out the room without limping. “I’ll be back soon.” He grabbed the clipboard and rushed out of the room without looking back.

Ji Yeon picked up the drinks and walked to Hyung Sik. She handed him a drink as he sat back on the bed.

“He’s hurt.” his eyes never leaving the door. Ji Yeon looked at him closely as she could see him lack the spark of happiness. “Please, comfort him for me.” Hyung Sik look at her. “It’s a favor.”

Ji Yeon nodded. “I’ll be back. Rest well alright.” and exit the room. She went down the hall to but Sung Joon was out of sight. She was exhausted and entered the stairs in the emergency exits. She was about to go down but heard something in the stairs below. She creeped down on the rail and saw Sung Joon sitting there. His hands covering his face. He was crying silently. He grabbed onto his knee as he tried to stop crying and wiping away his tears.

She walked down the stairs silently and stopped beside him. He quickly wiped away his tears and looked away. She sat beside him and handed him the drink.

“Drink up.” Then it was awkward silence as he was sniffing alone. He took the drink and opened it, hiccupping, then drink it. They were silent as they sat next to each other. No words or gazes exchanged. Just pure silence with the exemption of Sung Joon and the hospital noise.

“I,” Sung Joon broke the silence first. “I’m not crying because I was sad. It was because I was too overwhelm.” Ji Yeon nodded.

“I mean like, it was too much to handle just like you. You were crying too.” and she nodded. “I-If you don’t say anything… what does it make me…?” He mumbled to himself and she nodded again.

“I have nothing to say. Actually, I don’t know what to say. I’m worried if I say something wrong by accident and it hurts you or something that makes me feel like you’re being pitied. So I’d rather not say anything and just listen.” She turn to him and smile. “But if you don’t want me to listen then I can leave.” Ji Yeon got up to leave as he was silent. She begin to take a step before he grabbed her hand.

“Stay.” He asked then turn to look at her. “Please.” Ji Yeon sat back down.

“About Hyung Sik and earlier… I’m sorry. Hyung Sik has had panic attacks ever since he was 7 years old. There was a time his heart almost stopped beating. That was when he was 15. A group of bullies pushed him in the school pool and he panicked, almost drowning himself. He has a phobia for deep water areas like the swimming pool. He was getting over it then he just stopped attending the therapy sessions with me. And now that he’s like this, he has to focus more on his health or this could happen again in the future.”

“Nneh.” Ji Yeon answered and Sung Joon smiled a bit.

“You do know… that Hyung Sik is an orphan right?”

“Nneh.” Sung Joon then smiled widely.

“I hope that you can help take care of him, even if it is just temporary. He needs someone, more than me. He needs someone to love him, give him the endless love and happiness, even if it’s just for a while. He needs love from a real family.”

“What about you?” Ji Yeon turned to him.

“M-me?”

“If he gets a complete family, then what about you?” Sung Joon stared at her unknowingly. “You need a family to call your own too.”

Sung Joon smiled and turned away. “I’m… fine. Hyung Sik and Soo Jin is my family. I don’t need-“

“Then don’t you think he would feel the same way?” Sung Joon stopped and looked at her innocent face innocently. “He needs you too, Sung Joon-ssi.” Sung Joon turn to stare at the ground and chuckled to himself.

“Me?” he chuckled nervously. “He doesn’t need me as much as he needs you.” He touched his knee. “I’m… un-derserving and… inequivalent… to a normal human being.” he finished.

“Don’t say that.” Ji Yeon said seriously. Sung Joon’s fake smile was starting to fade as his eyes grew hot. He turned away and Ji Yeon cupped his face back to face hers. He was shaken by her actions but she looked straight and deep into his eyes.

“Every human is born equally. Although we may not be leading the same lives, we are fighting for something. And you, are a fighter. Sung Joon-ssi, don’t ever belittle yourself and your values. Believe in yourself like you always had.” She touched his knee gently, “Believe in yourself, and I promise you, it will no longer hurt you.”

With that being said, Sung Joon closed his eyes and cried . Ji Yeon let him cry on her shoulder as he pulled her into a hug. He was letting his feelings out. Even when he needed help the most, he was the one to help others more than himself.

Hyung Sik stood at the top of the stairs and look at them. He wanted to cry but he stayed stong. He’s going to stay strong for his Hyung now. The Hyung who had always stayed strong is now breaking down, so he has to be stronger.

“Thank you.” Hyung Sik whispered to himself as he sat on the top stair case and cried silently to himself as he smiled. “Thank you, Ji Yeon-ah.”

Remember, those who smiles the most have cried the most. Those who are happy are the saddest people who have to learn to be happy again. You have to stay strong to keep going. But sometimes you just have to stop and think for a second.

Why? They say that being strong in a situation and fight for something even if its painful is the definition of being strong. But it’s takes more courage and strength to finally stop and actually let go of the fight. You can’t be strong forever. Everyone has a breaking point.

****

This chapter hit me quite hard across the face, a few fractures and nose bleeds too. I wanted to bring in the bromance between the second guy and his friend like brother. The message at the end made me quite emotional as I am going/ has gone through that phase and it made me think a lot. Not trying to get pity here, but I think we all can relate to it. Stay Strong everyone!

PS: If you have read my mini-story "Obsessed", I guess you can tell who the man and elderly woman are right? Pls leave me some comments below, and some sugesstions you want for the sparatce moments like the scenes. Don't you just love how Sung Joon cries in his movies? See ya bunnies. Hwaiting!