Again and Again

A Penny for a Memory

It’s Monday night again and Sehun is inside the coffee shop. He was busy cleaning the counter when he hears someone cough in front of him. How rude, he thinks but, as soon as he looks up it didn’t matter if it was a cough a sneeze or a laugh – it was Luhan standing behind the counter.

“Hey, I’m trying something new tonight. Do you have any recommendations?” Luhan asks.

Sehun becomes a little clumsy as he looks for the menu, he hands it over to Luhan, “Here, you go...So you won’t have to look up.”

“I don’t need that,” he says as he returns the menu to Sehun, “I was asking you for a recommendation... So, what do you think should I try?” He smiles.

Sehun wants to give a substantial answer, as he thinks he is the master of coffees and teas, he was under a lot of pressure – not to include the fact that Luhan was standing before him. “I guess, you should try some green tea this time? From what I remember you’ve always ordered coffee. Maybe, tea is something new for tonight?”

“Okay, I’ll take that.” Luhan hands over his payment to Sehun and in second of second, their hands brushed against each other. To Sehun, it felt long enough to make him blush.

“Here you go.” He hands his change without looking at him.

Luhan sits at his usual spot, reading and typing seriously with his laptop, notebook, and books opened and sprawled on the table. From Sehun’s view, Luhan looked like a very busy man but, from Chanyeol – who was standing outside the coffee shop – Luhan seemed like every other person in town who is working hard to become successful. From Chanyeol’s perspective, he could see how Sehun looked at the boy with such longing, despair, and a hint of happiness. Chanyeol enters the coffee shop,

“Sehun-shi! I’m going to take an espresso please.”

“Huh?’

“I’m a customer?”

“I know but, why are you here?”

“Have I lost my freedom to be here?”

“Argh...Seriosuly? Okay then, one espresso coming through.”

“Thank you, Sehun-shi!” Chanyeol could see Luhan looking at them and soon, Luhan was walking towards the counter,

“Attorney Chanyeol?”

“Luhan! How are you?”

“I’m good, how about you?”

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” He smiles as he looks teasingly at Sehun who was preparing his drink.

As Sehun comes back Luhan mentions him, “So, you know Sehun?” He asks.

“Yes, he’s, uh, my-“ Chanyeol is cut off my Sehun.

“I’m his neighbour.”

“Oh, that’s good to hear.”

“Sehun is a good barista! I often see him working so late at night. He always waits for me to finish.”

“That’s how Sehun is.” Chanyeol smirks.

“Anyway, I have to get back to my case. It was nice seeing you again, Attorney Chanyeol!”

“It was nice seeing you as well, Luhan! “ Chanyeol chooses to sit on one of the bar stools by the counter and once Luhan left, he realized, that he was the Luhan that Sehun kept mentioning.

“Sehun, it’s him, right?”

“Who?” He acts as if he doesn’t know.

“The guy right there; he’s Luhan and he’s the reason why you’re staying so late every Monday night. Do you want me to set you up with him?”

Sehun tries to hide his giggle and his blushing cheeks, “No. I don’t want that. We can’t have that. He doesn’t know me anymore – well, not the way he did back then. I don’t want to complicate things.”

“But, you still like him. I can tell.”

“You cannot!”

“I can!” His whisper almost becomes a shout.

“Shh! He’s just there!”

“I know...Well, I better get going now. See you tomorrow!”

“Good, go home! See you!”

 

Soon, it was just Luhan and Sehun again. In the ungodly hours of the night, it was just the two of them humming into silent tunes of unspoken words and tamed messages, pondering and wondering what the other might think or might have said.

“Thanks again, Sehun!”

“Don’t mention it.”

Luhan was about to leave, he put his sling bag on and adjusted his coat but, with all the courage he could muster, he walked towards the counter and handed 3 strips of glossy papers to Sehun, “Uh, here’s my tip.”

Sehun looks at it with his brows almost meeting, “What is this?”

“It’s a concerto by Byun Baekhyun. I got it for free and I have no one go with. Maybe, you and Chanyeol would want to tag along? Anyway, I have to get going now. It’s getting really late. Also, I wouldn’t take no for an answer... I hope you don’t have any night shift tomorrow?”

“I-I don’t, actually...Uh, thank you!” Sehun says, feeling startled and as soon as Luhan left he started screaming in disbelief. Maybe, everything is starting to fall in place.

 

Sehun immediately knocks on Chanyeol’s door the next morning, he slides one ticket under door as he waits for Chanyeol to open it.

“It’s so early!” Chanyeol says, “and gosh, Sehun what is this?” He picks it up and suddenly becomes pale, “You...you got tickets?”

Sehun enters his house and sits on the couch comfortably, “Yeah, well. I mean, technically, their Luhan’s but, he invited us which means we’re going.”

“No, I don’t want to ruin your date with him...I’m not going plus, I’m not even sure I’m ready to see him.”

“Chanyeol, it’s not a date, okay, and we’re more than glad to have you come. It’s an invitation you can’t decline. Better wear your best clothes tonight.” Sehun winks as he exits the door.

Chanyeol couldn’t hide his smile anymore – he feels excited and nervous at the same time. He was going to see Byun Baekhyun for the first time - again, and Baekhyun will be seeing Chanyeol for the first time – again. He knows the boy is single; he watched the interview of course. Chanyeol, a confident lawyer, becomes increasingly nervous as the time went by. He couldn’t figure out what clothes to wear or what shoes to pick. He was even practicing his smile in the mirror.  Soon, he hears his doorbell rings,

“Hi!” Luhan exclaims – next to him, was Sehun who was wearing a blazer. His broad shoulders towering over Luhan.

“Oh, hello! Come in.” Chanyeol invites them to enter but Luhan declines,

“No, actually, I thought of dropping by to fetch the both of you so we could all go together.”

“You know what, you two could go first. I just have to finish something.”

“Finish what?!” Sehun complains, “Come with us!” He pleaded.

“I have to feed my cat...”

“But –but, you don’t have one...” Sehun says

“I do! I got it just last night...a stray cat, actually. Uh, I’ll be giving it to the shelter before the concerto so you two go ahead okay.” Chanyeol winks at Sehun.

“Okay, then. See you later, Attorney Chanyeol!” Luhan says.

“Liar!” Sehun mouths and all he got was a teasing smile from Chanyeol. He feels thankful for this moment, a new memory of Luhan and him outside the coffee shop. However, at the same time, he feels sorry for himself because if there’s one thing he wants to do right now – it is to tell Luhan what he’s been hiding all along. Luhan, just like Chanyeol, deserves to know the truth but, it’s too complicated. If Luhan didn’t take his job at the government, he could be deported back to China.

Being forgotten was the only way to keep him, and so, he allowed himself to be.

 

 

 

It’s 7:50 pm and the concert will be starting in 10 minutes, Chanyeol rushes through the entrance of venue. He kept on searching for Luhan and Sehun but, they were nowhere in sight. They might have entered already.

It’s 7:50 pm and the concert will be starting in 10 minutes, Baekhyun rushes towards the entrance to breathe in some fresh air before he starts. He wants to run away from all the commotion to empty his mind. Jongdae must be looking for him already.

 

9 minutes before the concert starts, they bump into each other.

Oh, universe, what have you done?