Music and Dreams

A Penny for a Memory

“Mr. Byun Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun nods as the immigration officer mentions his name, “Good morning!” he greets.

“Welcome back to Korea” the officer smiles.

Baekhyun smiles back and walks past the officer. It has been 3 long years since he last stepped foot in this airport – the air feels different around here and no matter how many countries he has already visited, it still feels like home to him. He walks towards the airport’s exit with flashing cameras flickering simultaneously on both of his sides; his manager pulls him a little closer so that he would not drown from the huge crowd that waited for him at the airport. When he left, it was nothing close to this, the only people that were there were his family, Sehun, and a tall guy who claimed himself as Sehun's friend. He wonders where the latter might be now.

When Baekhyun sold his memories completely, he put them into detail – he noted each and every memory he wanted to keep and those that he wanted to – well, let go. It was indeed a tedious process because usually, those who sell their memories simply put the dates that they would want to sell but, in Baekhyun’s case he had numbered it down into 6 different memories - those that he throw away; if he could still picture what he had written, it would look like this,

June – When he and I were standing in the meadows; when he told what he wanted.

October – The day we met.

July – When he found out I was leaving.

December – Our first kiss.

Today – the moment that I start to forget.

and then, there was a little note scribbled at the edge of the paper,

All that involved Park Chanyeol

Baekhyun was quite a unique client; Junmyeon's father - who was still running the business that time - had a difficult time sorting things out. It did work after all but, from the looks of it, Junmyeon had soon failed to separate Baekhyun’s memories from Chanyeol. It was as if fate, destiny, God, or whomever is subtly and quietly putting things into light. Yet, no matter how intense the universe may work, how could two memoirs remember the same memory?

The truth is that, they can’t. Unless another person – who has the same memory would volunteer as a memoir for either one of the two. It is somehow a hopeless case.

 

The manager opens the door and lets Baekhyun enter the car first, once they were inside, he asked,

“Are you okay?”

Baekhyun smiles blandly, “I guess so. I’m just a little tired from the flight.”

“Well, you can get some sleep once we arrive at the hotel. By dinner, you will have to attend the press conference so you need to rest well.”

Baekhyun nods and puts his earphones on. Now, he is no longer inside the car – he is in somewhere else. A place between dreams and memories, sunrise and sunsets, seashores and waves – between truth and fiction; he allows himself to get lost in his own maze and maybe, he does not want to find a way out. Baekhyun wanted to get lost forever. There was this struggle, this strife, and this ache that he could not remember and he hopes that somewhere in between, he will be able to find it.  Maybe, if I get lost - I will find it. Maybe, I will be found. Music has become his solace.

Baekhyun is standing in the middle of the meadows, he feels someone walking behind him but, he does not turn around. He stays still and watches the sunset. Then, he hears someone say,

"Baekhyun, wake up!"

The voice sounds familiar.

"Baekhyun!" 

He feels a tug on his shoulder. He opens his eyes and sees his manager before him, 

"Baekhyun, the press is waiting. We have to go." 

He realizes he had already fallen asleep in the hotel so he scrambles as fast as he could to look decent. Baekhyun with his manager and some bodyguards head to the hotel lobby for the press conference. As usual, there were many cameras, reporters, and other members of the press waiting for him. This time, they are all seated orderly just in front of an elevated area designated for the interview. He bows to all of them and proceeds to his chair.

“Have you waited for a long time?” He asks them respectfully; he hears a few buzz.

The host is seated just beside Baekhyun and soon started the interview formally, “Good evening, my name is Kim Jongdae and right now, we have here, one of Korea’s pride. This guy has managed to play his music all over the world; he has serenaded hearts with his skilful playing of the piano and is in the country to hold a solo concert. Let’s give a big round of applause to Mr. Byun Baekhyun!”

The crowd applauds as formal as the introduction and soon falls into silence.

“Good evening, Jongdae. Good evening, to everyone watching!” He smiles.

“Welcome back to Korea! After so many years, what made you decide to visit here?”

“I think it’s about time I play my music here. It has been 3 years since I was here and I know a lot of things may have changed but, I’m glad to be back.”

“Do you have any plans to stay here longer?”

“I’m still in the talks of it but, you know, I might...I might.”

“Can you tell us more about your life abroad?”

“Well, I travelled to London once I graduated and I taught there for almost a year. At the same time, I started participating in musicals. Soon, they gave me a section in their regular sequence for the live shows then, I guess they saw my potential and blessed me to perform in other countries as well as a solo act.”

“All in a span of 3 years, right?” Jongdae asks in awe.

“All in 3 years...” He smiles shyly.

“Now, many are you curious, do you have an inspiration? I mean, we all are curious. Your works are beautiful and extraordinary. You won’t do big if they aren’t...So, is there something – or someone – in specific?”

Baekhyun doesn’t speak, he eyes his manager at the side and as soon as he gets a go signal from him, he tells Jongdae what he can, “Well, there’s no one in particular right now. To be honest, I’m just actually fuelled by the feelings that I have kept bottled inside of me, sometimes I don't even know if they are feelings, memories, dreams, or just something, I've read from a book. Maybe, that’s the secret but, I don’t see it as an inspiration...It’s more of a source.”

“Ah, that was deep. This is why many people like you.” Jongde replies

Baekhyun blushes, “Thank you!” 

He still looks the same, Chanyeol thinks.

“One last question before I open the floor to the press, are you seeing someone right now?”

“No. I haven’t.” He smiles.

“But, before you went abroad, were you seeing someone?”

“As far as I could remember, I was not seeing anybody. I came here for my music and I also left for my music. It’s all that matters to me right now.”

Chanyeol turns off his television as soon as he hears this – maybe, Baekhyun did forget.








I'm so sorry for this lousy update. Please bear with me.