Questions

A Penny for a Memory

Sehun takes the night shift on Mondays; he has every option to take a day off for he only had to work at least 4 days a week but, he always wanted to go to work every Monday night. If you would ask him why, he would respond slyly – it’s either he’s planning to save up for a car or he’s up for a promotion, both of which are lies. Sehun goes to work every Monday night for one reason, to see him.

His name is Luhan and he is Sehun’s boyfriend – well, ex-boyfriend. Luhan left Sehun almost the same time as Chanyeol did. Luhan decided to work as a forensic psychologist for the government. Every Monday night, he would stay at Sehun’s coffee shop absentmindedly talking to the past love of his life. Of course, Sehun was happy to see him. Luhan often leaves the latest on Monday nights so, there are one too many times wherein it was just the two of them. He would sometimes complain about how tiring his job is, he would tell stories about his work, or about how lonely his apartment is at night. He would tell Sehun how much he envies him for still having his memories intact and the latter would be awkwardly standing by the counter, listening to him – wondering if ever Luhan would be able to feel something again. Tonight, Luhan is – again – left by all the other customers. Silence has filled the coffee shop,

“Sehun, how long have you been working here?”

“About 3 years now.”

“Have I been here before? I mean, we could’ve been friends or something, right?”

“Well, I’m not sure if I’ve seen you here before.” He lies.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” He lies again. He gets the mop and starts cleaning the floor so as to avoid Luhan’s gaze.   

“Sehun, could I ask you one last thing?”

“Yeah, sure, what is it?”

“Can I have a glass of water?”

Sehun brings a cup of water to Luhan but, as he places his hand on the table, Luhan lays his hand on top of Sehun’s, “Sehun-shi, have you ever loved?”

Sehun smirks, “I thought the water was the last one thing you’ll ask for.”

“Yeah but, I just thought of this now.”

“Hmm, to be honest, I did.”

“You did?” Luhan asks obliviously.

“Yes, but, it was too complicated. He had to leave – well, I-I mean, forget.” His voice was slowly cracking.

“Well, I have probably seen that person at least once since we both work at the same place, don't you think?”

“You probably have.” Sehun smiles sadly.

That night, he decides to knock on Chanyeol’s door. Tonight, he needs a friend – his friend, who could comfort him even though he’s pretty sure Chanyeol would not be able to understand anything. It was indeed a long story to tell and if he would share such story to Chanyeol, he might spark the guy’s memories. Sehun’s Monday nights are bittersweet, he could see him pretty clearly, he could talk to him even, but, he is not his Luhan anymore and if there’s one thing that pains him the most, it is to see someone you have grown to love forget you. Sehun has every power to step into Luhan’s life but with the rowdiness of the world and the complicatedness of more or less everything, he decided to walk into Luhan’s life as nothing but a stranger whom he would have conversations with on Monday nights. Sehun seems to be contended with this for as long as Luhan is drinking the same coffee, he shall be happy. It's as if the coffee was keeping their worlds balanced.

“Sehun, are you okay?” Chanyeol asks worriedly.

“I sure am. I just need a friend tonight.”

He walks towards his refrigerator, “Okay, I have 2 bottles of beer here and some ramyun, do you want me to take them out?”

“No, Chanyeol, it’s okay. Let’s just watch a movie.”

“What movie do you want?”

“The usual...” Sehun slips.

“What usual? We have a usual?

“I-I mean, what do you usually watch?”

“Well, it’s pretty late so, I don’t think watching a movie will do. I have an appointment tomorrow. Uh, why don’t you come with me to my Memory Sessions?”

The following day, Chanyeol is all dressed up formally as if he was going to court. He lets Sehun drive his car again for him,

“Chanyeol, can I just ask...Why did you decide to quit for the government?”

“I just thought of wanting to work as a private lawyer.”

“Does that pay as much as your past job?”

Chanyeol laughs, “Sehun, why does it have to matter?”

“So you could buy me a car as well?” He jokes and they both laugh in return.

As they arrive, the attendants welcome the both of them. Sehun is left at the waiting area for companions. Chanyeol seems a little excited today, he enters Junmyeon’s office and as he seats on the chair, he thinks how many lives have sat there – how many people have been wanting to get a memory, how many of them are lucky to have a beautiful one, and how many of them are still sad, still searching, and still looking for the memories that they do not even know anymore.

How is it to miss something you do not know? Well, it feels like walking on your feet not knowing that shoes already exist so you endure the pain. You carry it with you.

He closes his eyes and there he is once more – the boy in the meadows. This time, he is looking at him face to face. The boy doesn’t speak but instead, he tiptoes and draws his lips nearer until it reaches Chanyeol’s. Chanyeol bends a little so that they would meet, he feels the electricity running from his palms to his cheeks. In that moment, he felt like he was going to burst into a million pieces.

His heart was beating unsteadily that Junmyeon had to stop the process. Chanyeol opens his eyes and he feels his palms sweating,

“What happened?” Junmyeon asks.

“We kissed...”

Junmyeon chuckles and let’s Chanyeol close his eyes once more. This time, he offers him another memory.

Now, Chanyeol is standing on what it seems like a university’s front lawn, he hears an arguing from behind and there he sees the boy with a professor,

“Byun Baekhyun! Why were you loitering around the music hall? Aren’t you supposed to be in class?” 

“But, I have no class, and the piano was there, and I figured I just had to use it.”

Chanyeol watches patiently.

“Use it?! Are you out of your mind? You’re going around and breaking all the rules here! I will have to suspended you!” The professor was now angry.

“But, but,...I, I didn’t do anything wrong!”

This is where Chanyeol steps in, “Professor, excuse me but, according to the student handbook, I fear that Mr...What’s your name again?” He asks the boy.

“Byun Baekhyun” He smiles teasingly.

Chanyeol continues, “...that Mr. Byun Baekhyun here is doing nothing wrong. As in Article III Section 4 of the student handbook all students officially enrolled in this university are free to use the facilities for self-development and goal-oriented activities outside class hours. I believe that he has not violated anything and the only violation that is happening here is yours. You are violating the rights of the students to exercise their academic freedom.”

“What is your name?” The professor asks but, Chanyeol couldn’t answer. After that long explanation of the student handbook, Chanyeol has stuttered. The professor left them, eyeing Baekhyun as she walked away.

“Thank you!” Baekhyun says,

“Don’t mention it.” He smiles

“Are you an art major?”

“No, I’m in pre-law.”

“Ah, right.” Baekhyun giggles, “Well, I have to get going now...Thanks again!” He runs hurriedly.

"Where are you going?" 

Baekhyun doesn't answer.

"Where are you going?" He shouts once more but, all he could hear are frail echos of his own voice.

Chanyeol opens his eyes and finds himself strapped in the same chair.