Memoirs and Reveries

A Penny for a Memory

Junmyeon walks around the room, pacing back and forth.

This can’t be, he thinks. The system has been working so well for the past years, many have regained new memories from the president, to the nurses in government hospitals, and even those who have given temporary service to the state. Junmyeon is famous for being the best Keeper in the city; his memory-gaining firm has been well established as it has been taken over by the many generations of his family and one single flop could actually flip his beloved industry.

He has to figure this one on his own, he has to fix it – or at least, cover it up before the whole world finds out that one of the Reveries has made its way through a Memoir that he had been related to. According to law, a Memoir shall not be associated with a Reverie whom he or she may have had a relationship with, may it be a family member, a schoolmate, or a friend. It would spark the memories of the Memoir leaving the person with fragments of his or her real memories which may hinder the person from being mentally and emotionally stable. It’s an easy task for most, Reveries are usually those who work simple yet, noble jobs that, when compared to a lawyer or to a president, would seem somehow insignificant. If the government finds out that Junmyeon has accidentally matched a Reverie and a Memoir wrongly, his business will be doomed.

The thoughts on his mind began scrambling away as the next client enters – and out of all the clients that could enter his office to ask for a memory, it was Park Chanyeol – the one he had wrongly matched.

“Good morning!” Chanyeol greeted warmly; a very different smile comes flashing in. It’s as if someone has changed him.

“Are you ready for the 3rd session?” Junmyeon asks nervously.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” He smiles once more and then he closes his eyes.

He is inside a university, the place seems familiar with its tall brick walls and hovering trees - this is the same place he had seen in his last memory. The weather was a little gloomy and soon, the rain began to fall on his head and down to his shirt until he realizes that it was actually raining. He runs to the nearest building and wonders why there were almost no students there. He checks his watch,

10:29 am

He continues his walk along the hallway and stops when he sees a bulletin board with the words, College of Performing Arts. He reads through the pinned papers until he sees a familiar name in a small and humble article almost hidden from all the others that were calling for attention,

Byun Baekhyun, 23, a renowned pianist and a graduating student of the Department of Music, has been offered to be a professor at famous music school in London. He will be leaving after the final semester of this academic year.

We wish you well, Byun Baekhyun! Congratulations! The Department of Music and the College of Performing Arts are very proud of you.

And there after that small article, was a picture of a brunette boy with a pair of fluffy cheeks and brown eyes. He smiled as if he had already succeeded in life but, he looks just as young as him and before he could reminisce, he hears someone running from behind and just as he was about to turn around, arms were wrapped tight around his waist. A chin was resting on his shoulders.

He knows it’s him.

“Baekhyunnie...” He sighs, “Why haven’t you told me you got this offer?”

Chanyeol turns around and now he is facing him, he has seen him before – well, in the past session – face to face but, the proximity has never been this close. Of course, he had kissed him but, it was different. There is this prolonged moment  as the boy’s eyes were looking at him intently, waiting for what he could say, and because of the height difference, the boy had to look up a little. Chanyeol thinks it’s cute as though he was a puppy and Chanyeol is,well, just a bigger puppy.

“Baekhyunnie, why won’t you answer?”

Baekhyun just smiles, he takes Chanyeol’s hand, just like how he did it in the first memory, but this time, he is leading the way. He drags him into a room with a grand piano, and there he lets him sit beside him on the stool.

“You know how to play the piano?” Chanyeol asks and then he laughs, “Of course you do!” He must have thought it was silly to ask such question so he laughs again. Baekhyun looks at him and smiles, this time, Chanyeol looks at him intently as well. He wants to remember Baekhyun’s face and the way he smiles – he wants to remember the mole on his upper lip, his fuzzy eyebrows, his cuddly cheeks, his small yet mesmerizing eyes. He wants to remember how he looks so that when he gets out of this dream, he could still him even if his eyes were not closed, even if – even if – there are chances that Baekhyun may not be as real as he thinks and as real as he feels.

Soon, Baekhyun played the piano and the room fell into a trance with his music. Chanyeol could feel his heart almost skipping each beat, it was either running too fast or stopping so slow – there is not in between. He closes his eyes and feels the melody as the boy’s fingers drifted magically on the keys. It was like he was in a dream – no, a memory. Then, the boy stopped and that’s when he says,

“Chanyeol...”

Chanyeol wakes up with the wires attached to him; he recognizes he is still in Junmyeon’s office.

“This can’t be...” Chanyeol says.

“I know...This is your last session, Mr. Park Chanyeol. I’m sorry but, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. I know you are well aware of this.”

“But, how could this be? How could this happen? Memoirs aren’t supposed to be connected to their Reveries, right? Why does my Reverie know me?” He asked furiously.

“Chanyeol, listen to me. There has been a mistake. This isn’t supposed to happen, I’m deeply sorry. I’m going to refer you to another Keeper. I hope he will do you well.”

“Who is Baekhyun?!” This time, he almost shouts at him, “Answer me, who is he?”

“I’m afraid I can’t answer that...”

“But, you – you’re the Keeper! Aren’t you supposed to know who your Reveries are?”

“Look, this is a big firm. Reveries apply all the time – they come and go. I was younger when he came in here...Byun Baekhyun. Ah, the rising pianist in Asia but, he opt to travel abroad. God knows where he could be right now. All I know is that he sold his memories here before he left, he sold them completely.”

“He left and sold his memories completely?” 

“Mr. Park Chanyeol, you have to go now.”

“I can’t go like this. You have to help me.”

“You can only help yourself, Chanyeol...You can only help yourself.” Junmyeon rises from his seat and leaves the room. His attendants enter to help get rid of the wires attached to Chanyeol.

He leaves the office feeling lightheaded. If Baekhyun is real, then so are the memories – I must find that Byun Baekhyun. On their way home, he asks Sehun,

"Sehun, what happens when someone sells a memory completely?"

"Huh?" Sehun knows the answer, he's just too afraid to say it. 

"What happens to people who sell their memories completely do they..."

"They forget, Chanyeol. They forget!"

Sehun notices the change in Chanyeol's mood as silence surrounds them both.

How could he find someone who has also forgotten his own memories?