Trust

A Penny for a Memory

“We’re looking for Zhang Yixing?” Chanyeol tells the receptionist as they entered the building. The building looked quite eerie from the outside but modern and savvy on the inside.

 

“5th floor.” The lady says.

They entered the elevator and knocked on the only door on the fifth floor. The door opens and once they enter, they see two men dressed formally smoking cigars in broad daylight,

“You’re looking for me,eh? Come on in.” Yixing, as assumed, says.

The other guy makes them feel welcomed, “Take a seat.”

They sat across both men and smiled awkwardly.

“I’m Zhang Yixing,” He says, extending out his hand that was holding the cigarette, “Oh, I’m sorry, here...” He places the cigarette on the ashtray and extends his hand once more. The two shook his hands politely. “This is Minseok, my colleague. So, what did you come here for Attorney Chanyeol?”

“Have you come to redeem your memories? Because you know you can’t.” Minseok tells.

“I’m here to ask something...”

“Do ask.” Yixing says.

“Is it possible for people to remember?”

The two men laughed and stopped just as soon. “Do you believe they can?” Minseok asks.

“I would like to believe they do.” Chanyeol answers.

“How about you?” Minseok wants to know Sehun’s answer.

“I don’t think so.”

“Why did you come here when your friend already knows the answer?” Yixing says as though he couldn’t care any less.

“They don’t? But, you see, the case of Daebak is different...”

Minseok and Yixing suddenly looked at Chanyeol intently, “The Case of Daebak is different. He was a child. Babies are different, you know this, Chanyeol!” Yixing exclaims.

“But, they undergo the same processes as teens and adults. What makes them any different? We all share the same senses. It’s impossible that it only happens once!” Chanyeol was furious that he stood up and Sehun had to hold him to calm him down.

“Sit down, Mr. Park Chanyeol.” Minseok tells him and so, he does. “Let us continue, shall we? The senses can remember. If that’s what you want to know. After years of research, many have claimed that their sense of sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing have this tendency to evoke forgotten memories.”

“I knew, it was possible! Luhan, must know this!”

“Ah, Luhan, that guy seems very into his work. Maybe, he’s experiencing it.”

“He is.” Sehun says quietly, almost unheard. “He told me, his senses were leading him towards his past.”

“It’s true what Luhan said. A person’s senses can lead him towards his past but, the senses don’t have any brains. It’s always the person who gets to decide if they would follow their senses or not. Daebak knew who his adoptive mother is – he knows her as his mother but, why did he choose his birth mother? It’s because he followed his senses. It’s as easy as that.” Yixing smirks.

“But, there’s no way to remember, right?”

Both men nodded at the same time.

“Thank you!” Chanyeol bowed and exited the room. Sehun does the same and follows him.

 

The elevator ride seemed so long that Chanyeol started crying. When they reached the car, Sehun asked,

“Hyung, why are you crying?”

“He won’t be able to remember me, Sehun. Never!”

“As if, that didn’t happen to me. Luhan doesn’t remember me. You don’t too but, your senses, they work well. You just have to trust Baekhyun’s senses.”

“It’s been 3 years – he’s almost a stranger to me as I am to him.”

“You know what, I’ll drive.” Sehun takes the car keys and they head home in silence. It was late in the afternoon and from a far Sehun could see it – he could see Luhan’s car parked along the driveway but, he dismisses it. He didn't want to see him; he was afraid he might tell him the truth.

He parks the car in front of his lawn, Chanyeol goes down from the passenger seat and walks timidly towards his house. He looked at the ground and kept wondering why he went to Yixing when he knew the answer all along. He just needed someone he could trust to reaffirm his thoughts.

From the side mirror, Luhan and Baekhyun could see the two walking towards their respective homes,

“Follow him?” Luhan asks Baekhyun.

“You should too!” He smiles and he goes down the car just in time. Chanyeol was startled by the sudden opening of the car’s door.

“I’m sorry, really. I am! I didn’t mean to.” Baekhyun freaked out.

Chanyeol lets out a tired smile, “What is it with you and doors?”

Baekhyun giggles – Chanyeol still knows every funny bone in his body, “Shouldn’t I be the one asking that?”

“Do you need something?”

“No, I’m just...”

“Okay, I have to go now.” Chanyeol thinks it’s better to cut it off this way. He thinks it’s better not to let Baekhyun remember anything at all – he wanted to trust Baekhyun’s senses but, this time he chose to trust his own, and his senses seem to tell him that he should just walk away. He has lived without him for 3 years, what makes it so difficult to move on? But, Baekhyun is stubborn as ever, he follows his instincts – his senses, his heart.

Baekhyun shouts as Chanyeol walks towards his door, “I actually need something...”

Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun, “Okay, what is it?”

 

 

 

“You...”

He looks at Baekhyun quizzically as Sehun and Luhan watch all of these happen from Sehun’s lawn.

It is indeed possible, Sehun thinks. Now, he believes in it.

That night, Baekhyun called Jongdae and told him that he wanted to stay in Korea for good. It was also the same night Sehun told Luhan what he deserved – the truth.

 

Months later, Luhan proved his theory together with the help of Yixing and Minseok, and years and years, and years into the future, the government decided that people need not to forget to ensure justice – they only need to trust in their senses; that, people need to believe not only in what their mind tells but, also their hearts. There were no more Memoir and Reveries - there are just people, remembering, forgetting, and moving on. It is indeed funny to think that this revolution and evolution started with a spark of a heart. Truly, the power of the brain may only go as far but, the power of one’s heart, senses, and beliefs could go further.

 

Memories can be taken away but, the heart, it clings onto what it knows.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Mr. Park Chanyeol?" Chanyeol opens his eyes and before him was the brunette boy smiling brightly almost like the sunset he had loved so much. "Breakfast is ready." He smiles once more.

 

"Mr. Byun Baekhyun..." He says as he moves his face closer towards Baekhyun

 

"My senses are telling me..." Baekhyun says

 

"That I love you?" Chanyeol asks, looking all smug.

 

"No, they're telling me that I love you!"

 

Chanyeol kisses Baekhyun's forehead - here's to more memories.