Steamed Buns

Eighteenth

 

 

Steamed Buns

 

 

 

"Minseok! Can you carry this bag?" A child rushes inside the house, as he gets the bag from Kyungsoo's grasps. Junmyeon carries his clothes placing it inside a plastic bag. Kyungsoo looks around the small house, thinking if he had forgotten something.

"Yah! Minseok! Wake up Zitao and Baekhyun!"

How could he forget?

Minseok nods before going inside the small room to wake up the two heavy sleepers.

"Hyung," Kyungsoo looks at Junmyeon, Junmyeon had noticed the gloomy aura in Kyungsoo, "Nothing bad will happen hyung. As long as we'll have each other. Think about it hyung, we'll go to school. We won't go to work. And in case Baekhyun and Zitao gets sick they'll be treated immediately."

"I'm happy about that, Junmyeon," Kyungsoo looks down at his broken slippers, as he gives a gloomy sigh, "But... We're not sure someone will adopt any of us... And if we will, we won't be adopted at the same time Junmyeon, I don't want to lose any of you."

"Hyung..." Junmyeon embraces Kyungsoo, "We'll get through this..."

Kyungsoo hugs him back, "I hope we do..."

 


 

 

"Mom! I will certainly not go to the place filled with filthy children!" A 5 year old acceptor, Kim Jongdae, tries to pull his small hand from the grasp of his mother. He keeps whining and complaining non-stop.

A black expensive lamborghini was park in front of their doorsteps as a servant was opening the door for the two.

"Kim Jongdae! I didnt teach you those kind of words! Don't get me disappointed, just be a good boy and follow your mother's orders." Mrs. Kim signals the maids in the corner to help her carry Jongdae inside the car.

"No- oh!" Jongdae was lift from the ground as one of the maids carried Jongdae to the car, placing him carefully on the back seat. The maid's hands buckled Jongdae's seatbelt as Jongdae harshly slaps away the maid's hands.

"No! I want to stay here and play games in my tablet! No! I won't go to a place filled with filthy filthy children!"

Mrs. Kim ignored the boy's ranting as she sat on the passenger's seat, apologizing to the maid for his son's behavior.

"Let's go. I'm happy you're all buckled up, Jongdae."

Jongdae huffs in disbelief and had no other choice but to sit down and behave.


You win.


It wasn't the first time Jongdae visited the adoption center. He remembered one of the child from the centre had touched his precious toys that were sent by his grandfather. The child didn't even ask Jongdae permission, and Jongdae was not at the least happy. He had accidentally, according to Jongdae, hit the child with his limited-edition lightsaber causing the child to have a bump on his forehead. As a result, Mrs. Kim worn a disappointed and disapproving look on her face.

He saw the large old building came into view. Nothing have seems to much change and caught Jongdae's eyes.

 

"Are you excited, Jongdae?" Mrs. Kim, after retouching her make up, turned around to look at Jongdae at the back seat.


Jongdae made a forcing-fake smile, "Yipee. I can't wait to be here again."


"Good boy."


A few minutes later, Mrs. Kim walked out of the car, with Jongdae closely following behind.

The staffs of the adoption center kindly welcomed Mrs. Kim for coming, also saying hello to Jongdae who rudely ignored their greetings.

 

"Thankyou for coming back again, Mrs. Kim. You're such a great help for our program, and we cant help but feel grateful."


"I just love seeing the kids wearing their cute smiles when they receive my help. It makes my day happy."

Then a smoke of a deliscious meal came out of the nearby kitchen as it reached Mrs. Kim's nostrils.

 

"Oh, what is that delightful smell?"

 

"Our chef decided to make fresh steamed buns for today. Would you like to taste some, Mrs. Kim?"

 

"Of course! And bring one for my Jongdae too."

 

Despite wearing an undelightful face, he secretly wanted tasting those steamed buns, the smell was so alluring how can he reject?

 


 


Not from afar, a white van parks in front of the center, as five children exits the van one by one. They had small luggages with them, trying to be aware on what is going on around them.


They were finally here. And there was no stepping back.


The man who kindly drived for them, guided them inside the center. They happen to encounter two rich-looking people eating, which sent a tease to the five children's stomach. They havent eaten anything this morning, and the smell wasn't helping either.

"Oh! New children! They're so adorable!" They were suprised to be greeted by a stranger- a rich stranger on top of that, kindly.

The driver beside them smiles at Mrs. Kim, "We just got these six children from a small house, they were almost kidnapped and robbed."

"You poor little thing," Mrs. Kim kneels down to reach Minseok's size.

"Are you hungry, dear?" Minseok looks at Mrs. Kim's hand, which was holding a steamed bun. His mouth waters from the sight, he nods ever so slightly as Mrs. Kim smiles, "Have it."

Xiumin felt heaven when the soft bun reaches his mouth. He took time to chew as he savour the delightful taste.

It seems like his brothers behind him were jealous. Also wanting a bun for themselves.

"What's your name dear?"

"M-Minseok," The boy shyly smiles at Mrs. Kim, "Thankyou miss. Can my brothers have some too?"

"Ofcourse!" Mrs. Kim turns around as she sees Jongdae eating his steamed buns queitly, not missing the glint of delight at the child's eyes while chewing.

"Jongdae," Jongdae lifts his head and looks at his mother, "Give your steamed bun to these hungry children."

"Mom! I'm eating and this is my steamed buns!" He hugged the bowl to hide it away from the hungry children.

"We can buy you more later, son. But for now, be a good boy and share your food."

Jongdae steps forward, for the first time laying his eyes on the small boy in front of him. The boy looked thin and so small. So does the children behind him.

"Uhm. Here. You can have mine."

Jongdae gives each one of them and sighs when he sees his bowl empty.

Mrs. Kim feels so happy seeing her son sharing his food to the needy.

"Come on, boys. I'll lead you to your room. Say thankyou to Mrs. Kim."

The five brothers look up to Mrs. Kim and said their thankyou's.

When they left, Jongdae can't help but stare at the retreating figure of a chubby-cheeked boy, despite having a small-thin body, he still had those squishy cheeks.


'His name was Minseok, right?'

 


 

 

"It's no fair~ Minseokkie hyung had two steamed buns while Bacon only had one!"

Baekhyun complains while poking Minseok's cheeks.

Minseok chuckles, "Hyung's sorry, Baconnie."


Baekhyun pulls out his lips forming a pout on his small face.


"Kyungsoo hyung!" Junmyeon calls, coming from outside their shared room.

"Yes?" Kyungsoo finishes unpacking their things as he looks around their new room.

"They're inviting us outside! Mrs. Kim is giving away free goods!"

Kyungsoo tells his small brothers to follow him as Junmyeon leads the way. Each one of them got a handful of a white bag filled with food and supplies for school.

'We're going to school.'

Just having the thought of experiencing education for the first time sends excitement to the boys, well except for Tao who still has one year before he can attend school.


Minseok saw the boy from earlier again, and can't help but smile at him. He doesn't know other children from the building except for him, Jongdae was it?

 

"Y-You're name is Jongdae right?"

 

Jongdae nods after handing him a free white bag, "You're Minseok."

 

"Are you... From here?"


"No. I don't live here, and never will I be."


The reply was rude, and Minseok almost forgot that this boy, right in front of him, came from a pretty wealthy family. Minseok wants to hit himself for asking that question.

 

"Oh. I'm sorry..."


"Minseok-ah. You can step outside, there are still many children next behind you."


Minseok squeals when he remembers he's in front of a line.


'Why am I so forgetful?'


"I'm sorry...!" Before he steps aside to let the child go in front next to get his freebie.


Jongdae chuckles, smiling in front of Minseok for the first time, "You're cute."


Minseok blushes before collecting words to tell Jongdae.


"C-Can I help you?" Minseok asks, there was many children behind and he wants to atleast return by helping him lend goods.

 

"Sure!" Jongdae leaves some space for Minseok, as Minseok shyly goes beside the boy. Jongdae signals the kids to seperate into two lines, as Minseok starts lending them white baggies.

 

"Thankyou, Minseok. Atleast someone here is likable." Jongdae mutters the last part to himself.

 

"You're welcome, Jongdae-ssi."

 


 


Living in the Adoption center was a big help. They didn't have to work anymore and when they first attend school, they found out that they must maintain a high performance to have free education. So studying and helping each other doing their homework is what they do. Kyungsoo had less problem reading because when his mother was still alive, she had bought him books to read. Since reading was Kyungsoo's hobby. Kyungsoo help correct his brother's grammar and pronunciation. Tao joins them as well, even though he only understands a little.


One thing is for sure, they will help and stick with one another. Because they are brothers.

 

They are one.

 


 

Even if they're seperated, they'll always be one in our hearts...

So sorry for taking a long time to update! Huhuhu TT^TT

Our school had a lot of activities and my body aches so much. But I spared my time and updated! 

Hope you enjoy~!