Selfishness

Eighteenth
 

 
 Selfishness
 
 
Junmyeon was at the public food court, his job was to clean the all the mess-on tables, floors, counters- that was his job. The food court wasn't far away from their home, in fact it was only a 15 minute walk from his house to this place. So he was lucky. The short boy takes out the cart from the janitor closet filled with cleaning materials. As he makes his way in front of the counter, all the tables were filled by customers and there were people even finding for available seats. In short, the whole place was crowded and noisy.
 
Junmyeon sees a couple finished their meal, as the girl takes out her bag, putting all the trash out of her bag and places it on the table. Some of the trash even falls out on the floor. Junmyeon waited for the couple to walk away and when they did. He comes right in front of the table to take all of the garbage. He places the dirty plates and utensils on his small cart, as he wipes the table clean with his dishcloth with antiseptic. When his job was done, a group of teenagers occupies the seat next. Junmyeon comes inside the food court's kitchen, throwing all the dirty-used utensil to the sink. 
 
He pulls a chair in front of the sink, as he stepped on the chair. Little Junmyeon can't reach the sink, so he needed support at least. When he was finish washing the dishes, he wipes it with clean cloth and settle it on the cabinet.
 
"Junmyeon! The tables! Don't laze around! I'm paying you low if you don't move!" his boss says out loud. Junmyeon stumbles on his chair as he comes down and run outside, getting his small cart.
 
"I'm sorry sir!" he replies before going back to clean the tables. He sees the the table he just cleaned earlier which the teenagers occupied. It was a complete disaster, all the trash were thrown under the table and a few drinks had spilled. The food was not even that consumed. Junmyeon thinks the food was wasted and people couldn't care less.
 
He sighs cleaning table after table. After a minimum of 35 tables, he was finish. His shift was over and he should be heading home.
 
"Junmyeon!" his boss calls the small boy.
 
Junmyeon runs in front of his boss, "Yes sir?"
 
"Mop the floors before you leave."
 
"But sir, my shift is over..." he manages to say in a small voice. His manager glares at him.
 
"I won't pay you if you complain. Do your work."
 
Junmyeon nods slightly before going back to get his cleaning materials.
 
Tiring was an understatement. It was exhausting and painful to little Junmyeon's body.
 
He mops the dirty floors, even going on his knees to brush the disgusting dirt paste on the floor. It took him a hour to finally finish, and all the floors were shiny and clean.
 
"Here's your pay."
 
For all little Junmyeon's hard work, he only got 75 won in return.
 
Junmyeon sees his manager went back inside his office. When that happens, Junmyeon rushes inside the kitchen. He knew what he was doing is wrong, but he needed to provide food for his family. He gets the food that was left out and untouched. Bringing all the food inside the plastic bag. After stealing food, he runs away with silence. Making sure no one saw what he had done. 
 
The small boy then walks to the direction home.
 

 
 
A small angel-looking boy puts down the book he was reading about healing herbs. He let his body lie down the red comfy couch as he takes out his surroundings. He was surrounded by shelves of books. There is nothing to be heard but the angel-looking boy's small breathing and the ticking of the clock on the center of the big library.
 
Zhang Yixing, 6 years old, an acceptor, despite his age, he was a bright and intelligent child. He loves reading books rather than playing outside. He rather stay in a place quiet and in peace than staying with loud and noisy kids.
 
Yixing hears a loud melodic laugh coming from outside. He knew the laugh, it was his brother's laugh.
 
'he's playing dress up with mom I guess.'
 
Yixing stands up from the couch as he walks near the window. Taking a peek outside their large garden, the garden had a beautiful angel statue fountain on the center while the sides contained flowers that blossomed in different colors. Sitting beside the fountain was his mother and his brother.
 
"Mommy! Look the fish kissed my finger again!"
 
his brother says laughing again. Yixing's mother ruffles his hair,
 
 "The fishes loves you then."
 
His brother came in his life when Yixing was still 5 years old, he was at school reading books. Daily his driver would come and pick him up but this day it was different, his father had the time to pick him up after school instead.
 
His father was quiet while driving home, Yixing didn't question anything as he stays behave on the passenger seat.
 
"Son, you should always remember that you are higher in rank and in power. Don't let your guard down."
 
his father says out of the blue. He answers,
 
"I will, dad."
 
Yixing didn't understand why his father even needs to tell him that. But when he reaches home, he understands clearly the meaning behind his father's words.
 
There was a strangely beautiful boy sitting on their expensive couch on the living room. He was quiet while beside him was Yixing's mother.
 
"Mom." Yixing comes closer to where the boy and his mother was, his mother gave her son a angelic smile.
 
"Yixing, I would like you to meet your older brother, Zhang Luhan. He's a cute receiver."
 
Yixing stands frozen while he looks at the boy named Luhan then back to his mother.
 
"I have a brother?" he questions. His mother answered with a nod.
 
"Dad, since when?" he turns to face his dad, but he stayed quiet, pretending not to hear his question. By the looks of it, his dad didn't like Luhan's presence. Also there is no way this Luhan kid is his brother, he knows exactly that he was the first child of his parents. But Luhan was older, did his parents hide Luhan away from him?
 
"You see, Yixing-ah," his mother explains, "Luhan-ah is my brother's son. When I found Luhan and knew he was my brother's son, I took him in. I added him in our family and your father agreed. So Luhan is now a family member and is your older brother."
 
"He's... a receiver?" 
 
"Yes, he is. Just like me." his mother then hugs Luhan's figure. Luhan was having a gloomy aura and Yixing didn't know why. 
 
'So he's my cousin but is now recognized as my brother.'
 
Yixing comes closer to Luhan, then smiles, "Welcome to the Zhang family, Luhan hyung."
 
"You... You aren't mad at me?" he asks quite shyly. This Luhan boy had a beautiful angelic voice that sounded so fragile. 
 
Yixing smiles, "No, I'm not. We're still blood-related in some ways, so I accept you. Also I have no choice, my mother already adopted you."
 
A look of confusion was written all over Luhan's face. Yixing's mother chuckles, "Luhannie doesn't understand strong vocabulary, Yixingie."
 
"Doesn't he go to school?" Yixing asks.
 
"No, but he will be next week. He'll go with the same school as you."
 
Yixing nods, giving Luhan one last look, "Bye Luhan hyung." 
 
After that said, Yixing climbs up the stairs to go to his bedroom. 
 
He didn't like Luhan at first, but at time goes by, he learned to see Luhan as his older brother. Luhan had this overprotectiveness and kindness towards him. As if he had many younger brothers than Yixing. But Yixing didn't mind. It was nice having a older brother looking after you. He also teaches Luhan more vocabulary, helping each other while studying in school and doing home works.
 
Luhan was amazed being in school for the first time. Wearing expensive uniform, shiny shoes and a cute bag filled with school supplies. He also had a large amount of pocket money. Unfortunately, Yixing and Luhan were not in the same class. For the school had two sections: the left building for the receivers amd the right building for the acceptors.
 
Luhan was in his first grade while Yixing on his second grade. The driver would pick them up after school hours as Luhan shares his experiences in his first day with school with wrong grammar. Yixing just corrects the small receiver.
 
When they reached home, Luhan and Yixing were hugged by their mother. Yixing's father had changed his unwelcoming attitude towards Luhan and learned to accept the receiver. Luhan was so happy that the Zhang family accepted him completely.
 
But as little Luhan walks inside his large bedroom closing the door behind him, he sits down on the floor and breaks down.
 
Letting the tears he was hiding fall. Even if he started to have everything he wanted. He still wasn't feeling better. Guilt was doing its best in him. 
 
Memories from the past comes running through his brain as Luhan continues crying.
 
'I'm so selfish. Really really really selfish.'
 
Luhan bites his lip as hugs his knees tightly.
 
'I should be dying right now...'
 
He remembers the night before meeting Mrs. Zhang.
 

 
He was walking down the public market, pretending to passed by. As he waited for the right time, stealing vegetables and some poultry. He had no choice, he had no money to buy the stuff he stole. But the seller of the vegetables had caught him in action. Luhan had receive a slap on his cheeks when the angry seller knew what he was doing. Luhan didn't know what to do and just cried. The seller continued hurting him when the police came.
 
They took it into to the police station as the vegetable seller explains that Luhan stole the vegetables and meat that he was selling. But the policeman says that wasn't a good reason to hurt or abuse a kid. When Luhan gives his information to the police, the policeman asked his contact, parents, and address.
 
Luhan didn't know what to answer. He was growing tired and it was late, his brothers will worry if he doesn't come home any sooner. Also he can't give his address, it wasn't his address to begin with. The house they were staying is their neighbor's house. They were only living and sharing one room. Also providing food for themselves while water and electricity were free. The owner of the house will certainly get angry with Luhan and his brothers in the process. And they will be kicked out of the house with nothing in hand and no where to go. And he didn't want that to happen. His parents.... He didn't have a parent. His mother had killed herself and all of their fathers were gone without a reason. Luhan knows that every time his mother reaches her birthday, their fathers won't be coming back ever again.  Also he didn't have a phone to contact the others, how could he afford a phone if he couldn't even afford food.
 
Luhan was sweating hard, he didn't know what to answer.
 
"Hey kid, time is ticking. I'm just asking you basic informations about your personal info."
the policeman said growing impatient.
 
"I'm Xi Luhan. I don't have any contacts... I'm an only child and I don't have parents. I only support myself by living on the streets."
 
nice answer Luhan...
 
"Your last name is Xi?"
 
Luhan nods, the policeman then searches documents on the shelf. When he finds what he was looking for, he goes back to his seat and opens the file.
 
"Can I go house now?" Luhan says in wrong grammar. The policeman gets his point, "Wait here, kid. I'll tell you if you'll leave."
 
Luhan nods, a couple of minutes had passed and the policeman was talking to someone through the phone. And by the looks of it, it won't be finishing soon..
 
'I want to go home...'
 
Luhan sits on his chair impatiently, he couldn't handle everything anymore, he was tired, he just want to home and fall asleep with his brothers. Then everything will be okay again. This wont  ever happen and everything will go back to the way it was. Luhan will wake up in the morning and he will knock on every house's door seeking of they want cleaning service. He'll be cleaning bathrooms, floors, bedrooms, kitchens, and gardens until his back hurt. He will come back home with money enough to support all of them. And then everything will be okay, he won't ever steal again.
 
"Luhan... You're Luhan? Oh my god you look so much alike with Nianzu!"
 
A stranger wraps her arms around Luhan. Making Luhan freeze.
 
"Who are you? D-Does Luhan know you?"
 
"I've been searching for you in years... Luhan-ah..."
 
He doesn't answer back, still confuse with everything that is happening.
 
"I'm your father's sister," the lady introduces herself, "I'm Xi Minzi."
 
"Xi? You're daddy's sister?" the lady nods her head.
 
"I've been searching anywhere for you when I heard Nianzu had left a son. I was furious when your psycho mother killed Nianzu without even thinking. So you know where's your mother?"
 
Luhan shakes his head, "Mommy... Dead..."
 
"Oh my god, really? How do you support yourself?"
 
"... I clean dirty houses..."
 
"Don't worry Luhan-ah, that won't ever happen again. You'll be going with me. And be my son."
 
"S-Son?"
 
"Yes. I will take good care of you Luhan-ah. I will give you the life you deserve."
 
"No cleaning? No dirt? No pain? No sadness? No angry man? No suffer?"
 
"No. That won't ever happen again, Luhan-ah."
 
Luhan tears up, his eyes becoming glassy, "No more working?"
 
Mrs. Zhang wipes the tears that was rolling on Luhan's cheek.
 
"No, Baby. You'll have everything you want starting from now on. You will be loved and cared with a family you deserve. You won't do cleaning ever again. You won't be wearing dirty clothes. And no one will ever harm you. Mommy will protect you."
 
That's the time when Luhan gives everything up and embrace Mrs. Zhang. He wasn't thinking straight at that moment. He was selfish and all he could ever think of is the pain he was feeling. He didn't care if he'll leave his brothers alone. He didn't think about what will happen if his younger brothers will starve or get sick. He was selfish and self-centered. Luhan had call himself all the bad words you could think of.
 
'I don't deserve brothers that love me truly.'
 
Yes, Luhan love his brothers. But whenever he sees rich people he can't help but wonder how it would feel to be someone with power and authority. Buying everything he wants without thinking of someone else. Not worrying about money. Having a complete family. Eating whatever he wants. Going to school. Having many friends. Wearing expensive clothing. Having many toys to play with. Having his own house. Everything.
 
Luhan was just curious. He just wants to be like the others.
 
That's the day when Luhan left without even saying goodbye to his brothers.
 

 
Luhan stands up from his position. Wiping his tears with his palm. He faces the mirror and looks at his reflection.
 
"You're not Xi Luhan anymore Luhan, you are Zhang Luhan. A bright kid that has a family. A big house. Toys. Wears expensive clothing. Goes to school. Everything. You are rich Zhang Luhan. You are a new person that will be envied and will not clean dirty houses ever again."
 
He wasn't Xi Luhan, It's Zhang Luhan.
 

 
Yehet~! I finish chappie two! Sooooooooo.... What do you think of Luhan leaving just like that? I feel kind of sad thinking of a man leaving his brothers behind. Thankyou for all the people giving their time to read my story! I love ya'll! Yet again votes, subscribes, and comments of your opinions(good or bad, i don't mind) are HIGHLY appreciated! I'll update chapter three when i finish my draft! Wuhuehuehue~ annyeong chingus!