April 19th, 2013

Scarlet

It has been two months since Minnie gave him the letter.

 

 

She worried herself over the thought of him never talking to her again. 

 

 

They haven't had a decent conversation since.

 

 

Small smiles and the words "hey" and "what's up?" would be exchanged with the occasional pencil borrowing, which he so graciously never gave back (the pencil, that is), but that was the extent of their interactions.

 

 

He didn't even show up to her birthday party in March either.

 

 

She sighed. Maybe she was wrong—maybe they can't have a relationship at all.

 

 

Gayeon would always say that maybe the feeling was mutual and he was just too afraid to tell her, which was highly doubtful, but it did give her some kind of hope.

 

 

Youngji said that he needed time, but prom was coming up—she didn't have time. How could she go to prom without a date?

 

 

She sat in the classroom, her thoughts drifting away into whatever land she was daydreaming about, ignoring her boisterous classmates eating lunch.

 

 

Check yes, Juliet; are you with me?

 

 

Rain is falling down on the sidewalk.

 

 

I won't go until you come outside.

 

 

Minnie looked up, wondering if the singing was to her imagination. It wasn't just her as others started to lift their heads up in surprise and confusion also. She looked around, trying to find the source of the song.

 

 

Check yes, Juliet.

 

 

Kill the limbo.

 

 

I'll keep tossing rocks at your window.

 

 

There's no turning back for us tonight.

 

 

Minnie frowned; did somebody accidentally turn their music on? She pondered this question until someone screamed, "Look at the courtyard!"

 

 

Puzzled yet intrigued, Minnie got up from her desk and crossed the room to poke her head out the window.

 

 

Her pupils dilated.

 

 

Lace up your shoes.

 

 

No.

 

 

Hey ohh~

 

 

It couldn't be!

 

 

Hey oh~

 

 

Is that—?

 

 

Here's how we do.

 

 

YOUNGJAE?

 

 

Run, baby, run!

 

 

Don't ever look back; they'll tear us apart if you give them a chance.

 

 

Minnie covered in an attempt to conceal her reddened cheeks.

 

 

Behind Youngjae and his crimson guitar was his band, helping him to serenade her, for she knew because of the large red banner behind them.

 

 

Don't tell your heart; don't say "We're not meant to be".

 

 

Run, baby, run!

 

 

Forever will be

 

 

you and me.

 

 

The banner read, "Run away with me, Minnie."

 

 

The instrumental stopped, allowing Youngjae a moment of silence to scream at the top of his lungs, "How about prom, Teeny?"

 

 

Everyone's eyes were on Minnie.

 

 

She blushed madly as she slowly backed away from the window. She turned around on her heels and, suddenly, ran as fast as her legs could take her.

 

 

"Youngjae," she thought as she ran towards the courtyard, "was this what you were doing for the past two months? Building up to this?"

 

 

She ran until her lungs screamed in pain.

 

 

She ran until she spotted the boy with the raven black hair.

 

 

When she finally reached him, she nonchalantly walked up to him.

 

 

He smiled, dimples crinkling up the skin around his mouth.

 

 

Tears stung her eyes as she raised her arm, imprinting a red handprint across his cheek.

 

 

His eyes, as well as everyone else's, widened.

 

 

"Two months! I cried for two months!" she wailed. Without realizing it, tears trickled down her cheeks.

 

 

Youngjae smiled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. "So, is that a no?"

 

 

She slapped his other cheek.

 

 

"Ow!" he yelped.

 

 

However, to his surprise, Minnie stepped on his toes to cup his face in her hands and affectionately pressed her lips against his.

 

 

His eyes enlarged, and he didn't have time to actually enjoy the kiss, for she broke away as suddenly as she came.

 

 

And then, she whacked him again.

 

 

He watched her whimper quietly, nose to nose, and waited patiently.

 

 

"So, is that a yes?"

 

 

She wiped her tears away with the sleeve of her blazer, sniffling here and there to repress further tears.

 

 

"You're no Niall Horan," she muttered as she raised her eyes, slowly drowning in his chocolate brown eyes, "but considering I've been waiting for two months, it's a yes."