July 4th, 2016

Scarlet

Minnie speechlessly stood by the scarlet casket.

 

 

It all had happened so fast—he died so quickly. One moment he was there and the next he was gone.

 

 

Tears streamed down her cheeks as the angels in the heavens cried along with her.

 

 

If the angels were really sorry for his death, then why did they have to take him?

 

 

Family, friends, and acquaintances passed through, sending her their condolences before paying their respects and continuing on with their lives.

 

 

After the funeral was over, she stayed.

 

 

She stayed in the pouring rain without an umbrella, knowing what he would do if he were there. He would give her an umbrella or a raincoat and say, "That's no good, Teeny. You'll catch a cold."

 

 

At the thought, Minnie fell to her knees and weeped her heart out. She cried and cried until someone tapped on her shoulder.

 

 

"That's no good, Teeny. You'll catch a cold," Youngjae whispered.

 

 

Minnie gaped at him. Right then, he resembled her father so much.

 

 

"Your father would have led you inside, so I'm going to in his place."

 

 

Minnie sniffled as Youngjae offered a hand to her. She took it and stood up, tears starting to form in the corners of her eyes once again.

 

 

"I miss him, Youngjae. I miss him so much," she sobbed as she was pulled towards him. She fell into his arms and cried again, the warmth of his chest pressing against her face and the subtle scent of warm caramel soothing her.

 

 

"Shh, I know," he whispered into her ear as he her head sympathetically. "I know."

 

 

They stayed like that in the pouring rain for ten minutes, neither of them wanting to let go.

 

 

When Youngjae finally pulled away, he said something.

 

 

"You know what your father would say right now?"

 

 

Minnie shook her head.

 

 

"He would say, 'Stop crying, Teeny. You look ugly when you cry.' That's what he would say."

 

 

She nodded and leaned her head on his shoulder as they walked back. "He would say that."

 

 

"I think you're beautiful in every which way," he responded softly.

 

 

"Thank you," she replied, allowing him to whisper sweet nothings in her ear the rest of the way back.