September 24th, 2014

Scarlet

"Hey stranger," Youngjae greeted his girlfriend with a peck on the cheek. "Where have you been this whole week?" I've only seen you around a few times," he complained.

 

 

Minnie apologetically smiled, slipping her hand into his as they walked through campus. "Sorry, I've been caught up with showing the exchange student around."

 

 

This only made Youngjae frown deeper. "He should just show himself around," he muttered under his breath.

 

 

She giggled at his jealousy.

 

 

They were already university students and still going as strong as ever. Youngjae was majoring in computer science while Minnie was in business. Youngjae had long rid of the black thick-rimmed glasses and traded them for contacts, increasing his appeal tenfold. Needless to say, his popularity instantly rose up. Minnie had grown her hair out until it touched the middle of her back and usually adorned waves to match her maturing fashion sense. To no surprise, she became known as "Soongsil's flower" with her doll-like appearance.

 

 

The two of them were the envied campus couple—but that didn't mean they were the perfect couple either, with the current reason being (according to Youngjae) the problematic exchange student.

 

 

The transfer student Ishikawa Yuki was everything Youngjae was not: extremely tall, athletic, and famous. He was 193 cm tall, the youngest starting member on the Japanese national men's volleyball team, and one of the most sought after volleyball prodigies in the world.

 

 

Meanwhile, Youngjae was 178 cm tall, on the robotics team, and the most fame he ever achieved was making it onto the local news due to his extravagant prom proposal in high school.

 

 

Needless to say, Youngjae was feeling quite inferior.

 

 

Youngjae pouted, squeezing Minnie's hand. "Teeny, I hope you didn't forget our dinner date tonight."

 

 

"Wait, that's tonight?" she gasped, cursing under her breath.

 

 

Youngjae narrowed his eyes at her. "Don't tell me—"

 

 

"Minnie-san," someone called out, making the two of them stop in their tracks and turn around.

 

 

Talk about bad timing.

 

 

"Yuki!" Minnie exclaimed in surprise.

 

 

"You said you were going to show me around downtown tonight, right?" Yuki checked.

 

 

Minnie winced, not daring to look to her side.

 

 

"Um, about that—"

 

 

Before she could finish what she was saying, Youngjae stormed off in a fit of anger.

 

 

She cursed, looking back and forth between the disappearing Youngjae and the waiting Yuki.

 

 

"Sorry, do you think we could reschedule?" Minnie desperately pleaded.

 

 

Yuki smiled at her. "Plans with your boyfriend?"

 

 

She sheepishly nodded. "I kind of forgot," she whispered.

 

 

He chuckled, patting her head. "You owe me," he teased before sending her off, albeit he was slightly reluctant to.

 

 

Minnie waved to him with one last apology, dashing off to follow Youngjae. She saw his dejected figure around the corner and sprinted at full speed to catch up to him. "Youngjae!" she cried out.

 

 

He stopped abruptly, spinning around on his heels to glare at her. "What? I thought you had a date with that exchange student," he childishly huffed.

 

 

She put her arms around his neck, pecking him on the cheek to try to win his forgiveness. "How about that new Italian restaurant down the street tonight?" she suggested, batting her eyelashes.

 

 

Youngjae grumbled but eventually gave in nonetheless. "Your treat, Teeny," he mumbled.

 

 

She beamed, pulling him into a hug. "Of course!"