December 12th, 2019

Scarlet

Minnie came home after going holiday shopping with Youngji and Aemi.

 

 

Everyone was back home for winter vacation and she was staying at Gayeon's house while Youngjae was over at Junhong's studio.

 

 

Even though Junhong already proposed to Gayeon, she wasn't allowed to live with him due to her parents. 

 

 

Jongup swore he wouldn't propose to Youngji until after she graduated from medical school. He was nice enough to wait for her.

 

 

Meanwhile, Minnie was already graduated—with an MBA, mind you. She also had a successful job at a large conglomerate that payed tremendously well due to her high position.

 

 

So, what was Youngjae waiting for?

 

 

Just then, she felt a cold breeze dance around her shoulders. She shivered as she went to the open window. Just as she was about to shut it, something blew into the house.

 

 

A red envelope it seemed to be.

 

 

She closed the window and picked up the envelope.

 

 

"Teeny, I swear to God, if you don't open this," was scribbled on the front.

 

 

Minnie laughed. She knew exactly who it was from.

 

 

She opened the letter with a small smile.

 

 

"Good, you opened it. Now, can you go to the back door for me, please?"

 

 

She wondered why he asked her for such a thing, but she might as well play along with his shenanigans.

 

 

When she opened the back door, there was a trail of rose petals leading her somewhere. She followed the path to the back of Jongup's old house. She knocked on the door, even though it was already open.

 

 

Nobody was in the house but the trail continued. At some point along the way, candles outlined the rose path and she was entwined in the scent of fresh roses and the candles' artificial vanilla aroma.

 

 

The path lead to the scarlet wardrobe.

 

 

Minnie smiled; she remembered that wardrobe.

 

 

That was her special hiding spot with Youngjae when they were kids. She brushed her fingertips against the hard wood, the cool touch bringing back fond memories.

 

 

Bang!

 

 

Minnie jumped as something big crashed inside the wardrobe.

 

 

The startling sound was soon followed by a groan of pain.

 

 

Then, words.

 

 

"God," a deep, but gentle voice cursed under his breath. "She better say yes."

 

 

Wait a minute, she knew that voice! She quickly threw open the doors.

 

 

"Youngjae!" she yelled at her boyfriend who was sitting on the floor of the wardrobe.

 

 

At the sight of Minnie, he stood up. He hit his head on the ceiling of the small wardrobe and rubbed the top of his head in response.

 

 

"," he cursed under his breath.

 

 

"Aren't you a little too old to be playing hide-and-seek, Yoo Youngjae?" she joked, holding her hand out.

 

 

He took her hand and stepped out of the wardrobe before suddenly kneeling down in front of her, the top of his head just about reaching her shoulders. He took out from one pocket a small scarlet box.

 

 

"What are you—"

 

 

Smiling, he lifted the lid of the box to reveal a glimmering ring with a moderately sized diamond rock and scarlet rubies embellishing the band.

 

 

Minnie gaped at the ring, her hands covering as she fought the urge to break down.

 

 

Or faint.

 

 

Or both.

 

 

"Minnie," Youngjae whispered.

 

 

The use of her actual name sent chills running down her spine. It just rolled off his tongue perfectly, despite the accent (which was absolutely adorable in her book).

 

 

"You have been my entire world ever since I was eight years old, and I know this is sudden, but look, rain is falling down on the sidewalk; I won't go until you say 'I do'."

 

 

The familiar tone of the lyrics of the song Youngjae sang to her as a prom-posal rang through her head.

 

 

"I'll be waiting, wishing, wanting, yours for the taking. Just sneak out, and don't tell a soul 'goodbye'." He mixed the lyrics up so that they could sound presentable when not sung in a song, but it was touching, nonetheless. "Run, baby, run. Don't ever look back. They'll tear us apart if you give them a chance. Forever will be, you and I."

 

 

She chuckled at the "you and I" part. It brought back fond memories back in their school days.

 

 

"Run away with me," his voice was low and had a subtle pleading tone to it. "Please."

 

 

Minnie covered her red-tinted cheeks with her palms and nodded her head, tears coming out of her eyes. "Of course—you big idiot, of course I will! Yes!"

 

 

Youngjae beamed as he slipped the ring onto her finger.

 

 

It was a perfect fit—just like them.

 

 

He wrapped his arms around her tiny waist and picked her up in a hug, though it wasn't a normal hug. It was a pick-her-up, sweep-her-off-her-feet, spin-her-around, hold-her-tightly, kind of hug.

 

 

And they stayed like that.