July 7th, 2002

Scarlet

Minnie looked around the room trying to find her childhood friend.

 

 

His raven black hair poked out ever so slightly from inside the closet with the scarlet doors.

 

 

As Minnie opened the doors and let herself in, she tapped Youngjae on the shoulder.

 

 

Gasping in shock, he put a hand over his heart and put it back down when he saw who it was.

 

 

Huddling in the closet shrouded by the darkness, they had to keep their voices low.

 

 

"Teeny!" he said in a fierce whisper. "Don't do that!"

 

 

"Sorry, and my name is Minnie! Where's Youngji?" she asked.

 

 

"Probably hiding somewhere with Jongup," he answered in an annoyed tone. He was irked at the younger boy for always being too close with his little sister.

 

 

"Well, I could have figured that out; they're inseparable," Minnie deadpanned as she rolled her eyes. They were totally in love. Well, as "in love" as eight-year-olds could ever be. "I meant where are they?"

 

 

"Well, how should I—oh! Here comes Gayeon!" Youngjae abruptly paused mid-sentence at the sight of the seven-year-old girl through the crack of the doors.

 

 

"I know you're in here somewhere!" Gayeon taunted in a singsong voice. "Pretty soon I'm gonna win!"

 

 

Minnie held her breath and squeezed her eyes shut as Gayeon inched closer to the red closet. And then, for a moment, Minnie didn't see Gayeon, as if she had disappeared all at once. Minnie stood in the closet confused. She cautiously creaked open the door. "Gayeon? Where did you—"

 

 

"BOO!"

 

 

"AHHH!" Minnie squealed out in terror.

 

 

Gayeon stood in front of Minnie, laughing hysterically as the latter pouted. "You're out, ha!"

 

 

"Well, that's not fair. You tricked me!"

 

 

"Got you out too, Youngjae!" chirped Gayeon.

 

 

"Aw, darn it," he groaned. 

 

 

"Ha! That's seventeen for me. How about eighteen out of twenty-four?"

 

 

"Well, me and Youngji have to go home," stated Youngjae.

 

 

"Youngji and I," Gayeon obnoxiously corrected.

 

 

"Yeah, whatever," he shot back, obviously annoyed.

 

 

"Youngji's in the kitchen," Gayeon informed him.

 

 

"Thanks! Okay, bye guys!"

 

 

Minnie took one last glance at the wardrobe before running after Youngjae.