JunHao

My Pet

Minghao rolled over his shared bed as he stared at the clock on the bedside desk. He let out a deep sigh. It is 4 hours to Christmas day, but his master isn’t home yet. He sighed as he wraps his frail torso with the sheets and checks his phone every now and then. No new calls from Junhui, his master. Not even a message saying that he’ll come home late. Minghao’s ears droop as he glanced out of the window. Staring at the dark snowy sky and slowly dozes off to sleep.

Meanwhile, at Pledis Café, it was a hectic day. Couples, workers, and a lot more guests filled the café. It was almost a full house. Junhui sighed and fixes his apron. Continuing his job despite worry and fatigue filled his mind. He was worried. Not about him. But about his pet, Minghao. What made it worse was his phone was dead. He should be home by six. But apparently, a workmate was out of town and he needs to cover for his shift. He was frustrated. He glanced at the clock. It was half past eight, which is not even close to the end of the shift. Nonetheless, he tried to focus on his job and set aside his concerns.

‘I’m sorry, Minghao…’ Junhui thought to himself and returned back to his job. He has a long night to come.

 

It was finally the end of Junhui’s additional shift. He bid his goodbye to Seungcheol, his fellow workmate. He’ll make sure to tell his manager to raise his salary for December. He rushed to grab the last bus. Praying that Minghao isn’t asleep yet so he could do a Christmas countdown like what he already planned.

It took an hour for Junhui to arrive at his flat. He looked at the clock. One hour to midnight. Junhui sighed. He’s never gonna make it. As soon as the bus stops at his block, he rushed into his apartment building and entered immediately.

“Minghao? Kitten? Where are you?” Junhui called out his pet over and over but he got no response. He looked around his flat, he found nothing. That was until he passed their bedroom. What he saw was terrible. His little kitten, all curled up under his sheets. He can’t even see his ears or his golden tail. Junhui heard a faint sob. He let out a heavy sigh as he carefully entered their shared bedroom. He approached the latter slowly.

“Minghao? I’m home, sweetheart.” Junhui greeted softly. The kitten took a glance at the other, and looked away as he bit his lip and tears starts falling down his rosy cheeks. Junhui gave a back hug, but the younger cowars away. He was deeply hurt by his master. Junhui’s heart clenched as he saw the younger’s behavior. He never saw Minghao being so cold to him. But he knows he can’t blame his kitten. He was the one in fault. He knelt down in front of his kitten.

“Minghao, I… I’m sorry.” Junhui apologized as he looks at his pet.

“Master, you lied to me.” Minghao said in between his sobs. Junhui was taken aback with those words. He was speechless.

“I… No, Minghao. I would never lie to you. Why would I do such thing?” Junhui asked. To his surprise, Minghao’s cry has gotten worse.

“You say that you’ll be home early. I’ve been waiting for you. I wanted to spend my first Christmas with you.” Minghao cried out loud. “But you lied. I’m hurt, Master.” Minghao said uncontrollably. He was hurt, very hurt. Yes, it may sound weird to the others, but to Minghao, it was a really big deal. It was his first Christmas. And he was actually going to celebrating it with his own master. But no. It was like any other Christmas he’d been through. Alone, quiet, and silent.

“Minghao, listen to me. I’m sorry. I apologize for missing the Christmas eve. I-“ Junhui’s words were cut off.

“You didn’t even tell me that you’ll be home late.” Minghao wailed.

“Minghao, please! Let me finish!” Junhui blurted out. His tone was high, which is something Minghao hated the most. He wrapped himself with the sheets tightly, shivered at his master’s sudden anger. Junhui, on the other hand, tried to calm down. He took a deep breath and sighed.

“Listen, Minghao. My phone is dead, I forgot to bring my charger, and I felt stupid for leaving it. I was really busy earlier because the café nearly exploded with visitors. I was tired too. And what made it worse is my workmate was out of town. So I have to cover for him. That’s why I got home late. Please understand, Minghao.” Junhui explained as he stood up and took a seat next to Minghao. Minghao’s sobs got quieter this time.

“But… Why did you do that? You know I’ve been waiting for you, right, Master?” Minghao said softly. Junhui gave a nod as he gently pats his kitten’s head.

“Yes, I know you’ve been waiting for me. And during my additional shift, I’ve been worrying about you. I’m afraid if I couldn’t make it home early. I’ve planned a lot of things to do spend our first Christmas together, but my job is keeping me away from it. I’ve failed…” Junhui trailed off. His lips were shaking. “I’ve been a bad master. Can you ever forgive me, Minghao?” He continued as he took a glance at the other boy. Minghao buried himself even deeper.

“I… I’m hurt master… I don’t know…” Minghao said faintly. He was so sad that he can’t even cry anymore. He lied down on the bed and faced the opposite way. He heard the clock beep, it was midnight. Minghao let out a deep sigh.

“Good night, master. Merry Christmas.” Minghao said as he slowly closes his eyes and falls asleep. Junhui looks at the younger lad. He caressed his hair and stood up as he plants a soft kiss on top of his head.

“Good night, Minghao…” He said. He walked out of the bedroom and closed the door behind him. He glomped on the couch as he let out a frustrated groan. He blew it. He ruined everything. He ruffled his hair in agony.

“I blew it! I messed up big time!” Junhui said to himself. He stared at the ceiling. Trying to figure a way out of the mess he made. He thought for a long time. Until…

“I got it!” Junhui beamed happily as he snapped his fingers. He silently went inside the bedroom and change into his sleepwear and returns to the living room. It’s a quarter past midnight. He lied down on the couch as he drifts off into a deep slumber.

 

It was Christmas morning. The sun shone bright as the rays sneaked in through the windows. Minghao let out a soft whine as the sunlight hits his eyes. He got up almost immediately to find an empty spot beside his bed. Minghao pouted. He got up with the sheets still covering his body and walked out the room. As he exited, he saw the sight of his sleeping master. Minghao felt guilty for being a little bit overboard with his feelings. He approached his master softly and crouched down so he was eye level with Junhui. He lightly shook his body as he called out his master’s name.

“Master Junhui. Wake up~ It’s morning already.” The boy said as he keeps shaking his master’s body. His tail swished side to side as he waits for his master to wake up. Junhui shifted a bit as he turned his face was facing Minghao. Minghao lightly pokes his master’s cheeks as he keeps waiting patiently. Junhui let out a groan as he started waking up. Minghao looked up at him with his doe eyes. The latter bit his lip nervously. But to his surprise, Junhui flashed a bright smile. Minghao tilted his head to the side, confused with his master’s action.

“Good morning, Minghao.”  Junhui greeted.

“Uh… Good morning, master Junhui.” Minghao replied as he fidgets his fingers. Junhui smiled as he the boy’s ears. Minghao lets out a soft purr as Junhui did so. Junhui chuckled at his cuteness.

“Minghao, I’m sorry. Will you forgive me, sweetheart?” Junhui asked. Minghao flashed a bright grin and gave a cute nod in response.

“I forgive you, Master. And I’m sorry too. I was being selfish.” Minghao said as he gave his master a teddy bear hug. Junhui chuckled and gave a kiss on the top of the younger’s head.

“It’s okay, Minghao. You’re being honest with your feelings. I appreciate it.” Junhui praised the younger as he tickled the younger’s chin. “Tell you what. As a change for missing the Christmas countdown, how about we go to Lotte World today? Or Everland? Whichever you prefer.” He continued. Minghao’s eyes grew big as he heard his master’s offer. He’s been dying to go to the amusement park. He agreed to his master immediately.

“Wah! That sounds great, Master! I would love to go there!” Minghao beamed happily. His ears twitched in excitement.

“Then go get ready, Minghao. You can shower first.” Junhui said. Minghao nodded and rushes to the bathroom just like what Junhui told him.

 

Long story short, they are ready to leave to the amusement park. Minghao picked Lotte World because he wanted to go ice skating. Junhui just let Minghao have his way. It’s not he doesn’t like it. He’s been wanting to go ice skating too.

They took a subway to Lotte World. It took 45 minutes from Junhui’s apartment. Shortly, they arrive at the amusement park. Minghao looks at it in awe. Junhui could see the latter’s eyes shining with enthusiasm. They bought their entrance tickets and entered the park.

“So what ride do you want to go first?” Junhui asked.

“The carousel!” Minghao pointed out. Junhui smiled. It was a classic, yet it’s always a special ride. They rode the carousel happily. Minghao would sometimes hold hands with Junhui during the ride. Junhui chuckled at Minghao’s cuteness.

They went on several rides. Starting from the Pirate Ship to the Gyro Drop. They even went into the Haunted House. Minghao swore he will have a hard time sleeping later at night. Well, maybe not that hard since Junhui will be there to protect him.

Junhui bought a cat-ears headband with light brown as the color. It was the same color as Minghao’s ears. He wore it and checked himself. He looked good.

“Minghao! How do I look?” Junhui asked as he made a cat pose. Minghao giggled at his master as he showed up two thumbs up.

“It suits you, Master!” Minghao admired. The two of them decided to take a break by the bench near the carousel. Junhui bought a cotton candy. Yes, one cotton candy. Also some fruit flavored lollipops. They sat next to each other as they eat the cotton candy together. Minghao would his lips every once in a while because of the stickiness. Junhui grinned at his actions. They continued eating until they’re almost done. The distance between them lessen until they are finally facing each other. They bit the last piece of cotton candy together. Their eyes widened as they felt their lips brushed against each other. They pulled away almost in unison. They blushed madly. It was their first kiss. Both Junhui and Minghao’s.

“U-Uh… Shall we continue playing?” Junhui asked. Minghao looks at him shyly and gave a small nod. Too embarrassed to face his master but he got up anyway. They continued spending the rest of their Christmas getting on various rides. They had a great day.

 

They got home just in time for dinner. Junhui figured that maybe a mini Christmas feast would be a great idea. They took the same bus and went home. As they walked into their apartment, Junhui found a small gift in front of his door. He wondered who would be so kind to him.

“Master! You got a gift! Could it be it’s from Santa Claus?” Minghao asked innocently. Junhui chuckled. He walked towards his door and he picked up the gift. He smiled as he saw the sender’s name. It was his workmate, Seungcheol.

To : Junhui

Merry Christmas, man! I kinda lied when I said I wouldn’t give my signature sugar cookie to you.

Here’s a dozen of ‘em. Enjoy! Have a blessed day.

Regards,

Seungcheol, your awesome chef friend.

 

“Who is it from, Master?” Minghao asked curiously.

“It’s from my friend at work, Seungcheol.” Junhui answered as he pets Minghao’s back. Minghao sniffed at the scent. He knew it was food. And it has a sweet scent, Minghao’s favorite.

“Is it a cookie? Can we eat it later, Master?” Minghao asked again as he stare at his master with glowing eyes. Junhui giggled and gave a nod.

“Of course we can. Come on let’s go inside.” Junhui said. With that, they get inside their flat and rests for a while. After a small break, Junhui starts making some food for his mini feast with his beloved pet. He saw a sleeping Minghao, all spread out on the couch. He shook his head and continued with his work.

 

Minghao woke up at the scent of sweet and sour chicken. He got up and heads to the kitchen. He saw his master, Junhui, sitting on the dining room as he flashed his brightest smile to him. Minghao smiled.

“Have a seat, sweetheart. Let the feast begin.” Junhui said as he pulls the chair for Minghao to sit on. Minghao blushed at his master’s actions. Junhui took a seat across him and they did their prayers before they starts eating. They would do small chit chats. Junhui would ask about how was today to the younger. They treasured every moment that passes with a joyful feeling.

“Master…” Minghao called.

“Yes, Minghao?” Junhui answered. Minghao flashed his happiest smile that Junhui has ever seen.

“Thank you.” Minghao said. Junhui tilted his head.

“For what, Minghao?” Junhui asked confusingly.

“For making my first Christmas the best Christmas ever.” Minghao beamed cheerfully. Junhui smiled at the latter. He got up and placed a sweet kiss on the younger’s lips. Minghao returned the kiss softly. It was short, but sweet and special at the same time.

“I  love you, master Junhui.” Minghao said cutely.

“I love you too, Minghao.” Junhui said as he locks their lips together again.

 

‘Looks like I will never be lonely again on Christmas.’ Minghao thought as he kisses Junhui softly.