Chapter 9

Meant To Be

It's been 6 months since Kibum met Jonghyun and became a permanent fixture in his life. His life is so wrapped up in Jonghyun and the kids that he's neglected his friends. One friend in particular is not very happy about this, Taemin. They used to talk every day, but then school got in the way so they texted most of the time but still talked at least once a week. Then Jonghyun came along and now all they do is text, Kibum never seems to have time to meet or have a conversation. Anytime Taemin invites him out to do something he used to enjoy like going to the club and dancing the night away, Kibum always responds that he already has plans. Well today Taemin is putting a stop to this avoidance. He knocks loudly on Kibum's door at a 8am when he knows Kibum should be home. Kibum groggily answers the door and is quite surprised to see Taemin. Taemin is trying to put on his meanest “I'm so pissed off at you” face but he can't help but smile back when he's greeted by Kibum's bright smile. Kibum pulls Taemin into a big hug exclaiming that he missed him so much. Taemin asks him if he really means it and Kibum responds that of course he does. Taemin retorts back that it seemed to him like Kibum was avoiding him. Kibum realizes that Taemin is upset and when he thinks about it he realizes that Taemin has every right to feel this way. Kibum quickly apologizes, he swears he hasn't been avoiding him on purpose but that he just kinda got caught up in other things and people and time has just flew by without him realizing. Taemin accepts this answer but asks about these other people. Kibum smiles shyly and Taemin immediately exclaims “you have a boyfriend!” Kibum quickly shushes him and says that's not what it is. Taemin is confused, he asks what is it then. Kibum pauses, he doesn't really know how to explain what it is. He's at a loss at where to even start, so he decides to just keep it simple. He explains that he has a new friend named Jonghyun, he's an excellent cook and an amazing father. He has twin kids who are almost 10, his daughter Ji Min and son Min Jae. These kids are just so cool, so cute, they are smart and funny too. He realizes now that he's kinda rambling on and Taemin is looking at him kind of confused. Kibum responds that it's just really hard to explain, it's like, I'm like an uncle to these kids. Taemin nods and asks what he is to Jonghyun then? Kibum pauses, the only answer he can come up with is friends. Taemin repeats back the word friends like he doesn't really buy what Kibum is saying, he asks honestly “so you're not dating this guy?” Kibum would love to be able to say yes to this question, he feels sad that he can't and this sadness must obviously show on his face when he responds that they're not dating. Taemin has a worried look on his face, decides maybe he should change the subject and asks Kibum what he's doing tonight, suggesting they should go out dancing. Kibum responds that he usually has supper with Jonghyun and the kids. Taemin was kinda expecting something like that and asks if he can come too. Kibum smiles and says he'll ask. He quickly grabs his phone and texts Jonghyun asking if he can bring a friend to supper tonight. No more than a few minutes later Jonghyun responds that of course, the more the merrier with a smiley face.

 

Taemin and Kibum spend the day out shopping and catching up on what each other have been up to. Taemin very quickly notices that almost everything he asks about Kibum's life eventually circles back to this new friend of his.

 

When they arrive at the house for supper, Taemin is a bit surprised when Kibum simply knocks and walks in. He follows closely behind as Kibum leads him towards the kitchen where he knows Jonghyun is preparing supper. Jonghyun looks up, smiles and tells him it's almost ready. Kibum introduces Taemin and they greet each other politely. Taemin comments that he really likes Jonghyun's white hair, that it really suits him. Jonghyun thanks him and tells the story of how it was his daughter's idea due to him losing a bet with her. When the oven dings, everyone goes into auto-pilot mode. Kibum leads Taemin to the dining room and he helps set out the plates. Kibum calls the children down and introduces them to Taemin. Kibum even goes around collecting everyone's cell phone's to put in the wooden box and putting in the hallway. Taemin is kinda surprised by how much Kibum has become a part of this family's routine, if he were a stranger he would think this is Kibum's home as much as anyone else's. Everyone is seated around the table enjoying the meal. The kids ask Taemin a lot of questions, they are so cute that he can see why Kibum is so taken by them. And they seem to adore Kibum too.

 

Taemin doesn't say a lot during supper, he mostly observes. Observes the way Kibum looks and speaks to Jonghyun and vice versa. One moment they seem like an old married couple, the next they seem like just friends, and then another he can just feel the tension between them. After the children have been dismissed from dinner, he decides to start asking questions trying to figure out what this relationship is. He asks Jonghyun about the children's mother and offers his condolences when he's told of her passing. He asks Jonghyun about dating and he's kind of surprised to find out that he's dated a lot of women trying to find someone his children approve of. He can't help but notice the little frown on Kibum's face when Jonghyun tells him of this. He also notices little hints of jealousy on Jonghyun's side any time Taemin touches Kibum in any sort affectionate way, a little touch to his arm or to his knee, nothing unusual for them. Kibum doesn't seem to notice this at all. After supper, Taemin thanks Jonghyun for welcoming him into his home and for the amazing dinner and company tonight. They all say their goodbyes saying they will need to get together again soon.

 

Taemin is driving Kibum back to his apartment. The car is uncomfortably silent until Kibum speaks up asking Taemin to spit it out already. Taemin says that he really likes Jonghyun and the kids, he had a great time and he can see why Kibum spends so much time with them. Kibum waits for more but nothing comes from Taemin's mouth. Kibum restlessly asks him to continue with what he knows he wants to say. Taemin sighs and comments that Jonghyun is dating and suggests Kibum should probably do the same. Kibum sits silently. Taemin asks Kibum what happens when Jonghyun brings a date home that the kids like. Taemin asks if Kibum really wants to put his life on hold waiting for something to happen with Jonghyun that doesn't look even remotely possible. Kibum sighs and agrees that he knows that everything Taemin is saying is right.

 

Taemin offers to set him up on a date, he's know a guy who's single that he thinks he'll like. Kibum pauses, trying to think of any reason to reject being set up but all the reasons that come to mind he knows aren't very good and are only excuses. He agrees to the date.