Chapter 12

Meant To Be

Kibum arrives the next day with all the ingredients. They are in the kitchen, Jonghyun is pulling out all the pots, pans and cooking tools they'll need. He explains what everything is for, teaching Kibum very seriously. Kibum thinks he's being too serious for a first lesson, so he tries to lighten the mood by tossing a little flour at Jonghyun's perfectly clean apron. Jonghyun is surprised, but quickly laughs and responds that he'll stop being so serious. Jonghyun asks Kibum about how his date ended. Kibum groans a bit when he thinks about making out with that jerk last night, thankfully he didn't go further with him. He tells Jonghyun that the guy turned into a jerk, he's not going to see him again. Jonghyun can tell he doesn't want to go into further detail so he just nods and continues walking Kibum through the next step.

 

A few steps later Kibum nervously asks Jonghyun how his date ended, Jonghyun smiles excited to answer but before he can they are interrupted by Jonghyun's phone. Jonghyun answers as Kibum continues mixing the ingredients. The person on the other end says they are from the school and asks if they are speaking to the parent of Kim Min Jae and Ji Min. Jonghyun responds that he is and jokingly asks if the twins are causing trouble already. Kibum and Jonghyun share a chuckle at the comment. The person tells him that the bus the kids were on has been in an accident and all the kids have been taken to the hospital. Jonghyun remains silent as if struggling to understand what was just said, the person asks if he is still there. Jonghyun says yes and then asks if his children are okay. Kibum looks back to Jonghyun to see the serious look on his face. The person responds that they don't know the status of any children yet, they tell him they are notifying all parents to go to the hospital as quickly as possible. Jonghyun hangs up the phone without saying anything, he sets the phone down and as if he lost all strength in his legs he crumbles to the floor. Kibum rushes to him and asks him what happened. Jonghyun repeats what he just heard to Kibum very slowly as if he's trying to make sense of the information he's just been told.

 

Kibum holds Jonghyun's hand and asks him the hospital's name, Jonghyun answers. Kibum immediately starts turning the burners and oven off, he grabs the keys out of his pocket and helps Jonghyun off the floor, pulling the apron off and tossing it aside. He rushes him out of the house to his car to get him to the hospital quickly. Kibum is driving faster than he should but there is no time to waste. Jonghyun is staring out the window, a complete mess and muttering that he can't lose them, he loses everyone but he can't lose his children. Kibum reaches over to hold Jonghyun's hand and assures him that he won't lose them. He say's it's probably just scratches, nothing serious at all. Kibum says “everything will be fine, repeat it will me.” Jonghyun repeats it over and over.

 

When they get to the hospital Jonghyun rushes to the entrance with Kibum running right behind him. There are children and parents everywhere, but he can't see his kids. The nurse asks him who he's looking for and he gives her both his children's names. She immediately assures him as she has done for all the parents coming in that all the children brought from the bus are alive, some more injured than others but all have survived. He nods his head thanking her, she tells him to have a seat and point him to some open seats and says she'll check on them for him. Jonghyun starts to panic, he tries to follow the nurse but Kibum quickly pulls him to the empty seats and forces him to sit down. He takes his hands and holds them between his, telling him to take a deep breath and saying again that everything is going to be fine. Jonghyun does exactly what Kibum says, closes his eyes and takes long deep breaths. When he hears his daughter's happy voice call out “daddy” he opens his eyes to see his lovely Ji Min with the nurse, she's fine. She has a band-aid on her forehead, a few on her left arm and a slightly bigger bandage on her knee. She rushes over to Jonghyun, he quickly picks her up and tightly hugs her. After a minute she's squirms and exclaims that he's hugging her too tight. She sees Kibum smiling at them and pleads for Uncle Kibum to rescue her. Jonghyun laughs and sets her down to look at her, checking all over to see if she's okay, he asks her if she's okay, asks if she hurts anywhere. She responds that's she okay, that her knee hurts the worst but not that bad. He nods and asks if she's seen her brother yet, she shakes her head that she hasn't. Jonghyun looks over to the nurse questioningly. She tells him the doctor is still with his son and he should come with her. Jonghyun looks at his daughter and over to Kibum, he calmly asks Ji Min to wait with Kibum and she nods.

 

The nurse takes Jonghyun down a corridor and to a small hospital room where he can hear his son talking. She pulls back the privacy curtain and tells the doctor that Min Jae's father is here. Jonghyun immediately looks to the bed to see his son sitting up quite alert, he doesn't seem to be injured or in pain. Jonghyun rushes to him, leaning over him to hug him as gently as possible. He pulls back looking him over, asking if he is okay. The doctor speaks up stating that it looks like his leg is broken, but they'll need to have an x-ray first to determine the severity of the break and most likely Min Jae will have to wear a cast. Jonghyun nods, takes a deep breath out of relief. He looks to Min Jae and asks if it hurts, Min Jae nods. Jonghyun holds his hand and tells him that he's so brave, tells him everything is going to be fine. He leans in to hug him again and says he loves him so much. Min Jae whines that he's soooo embarassing and then asks about Ji Min. Jonghyun smiles and tells him she's fine, she's in the waiting room with Kibum. Jonghyun looks to the doctor and asks if they can come in. The doctor agrees, telling them they have a few minutes. The nurse offers to go get them. She returns just a minute later, Ji Min immediately rushes over to hug her brother while Kibum stands a bit awkwardly by the door. Jonghyun smiles at his cute children and walks over to Kibum to pull him closer. He tells them about the broken leg, x-ray and cast. Kibum pouts and sympathetically asks who he'll go water skiing with now? Min Jae laughs and responds that he'll be better in no time. Jonghyun goes with Min Jae for his x-ray while Kibum and Ji Min wait in the hospital room talking and watching tv. By time Jonghyun comes back a few hours later with Min Jae in his cast it is very late and both children are very exhausted. Jonghyun decides to stay overnight in the hospital with Min Jae and asks if Kibum could take Ji Min home and stay with her. Kibum agrees, Jonghyun tells him to stay in his bedroom. He says that the doctor says they should be able to go home in the morning or perhaps later in the afternoon.

 

Kibum and Ji Min head back to the house, they rest well and get up early to be back at the hospital at 8:00am. They walk into the hospital room to be greeted by the two grumpiest faces they've ever seen, neither looks like they slept at all. Jonghyun laments that it's impossible to sleep in hospitals, he's already such a light sleeper and so is Min Jae. There are beeping noises everywhere, hospital staff rushing around everywhere and the room is freezing. Kibum comfortingly pats Jonghyun on the shoulder and pets Min Jae on the head saying hopefully they can go home soon and get some rest. It's a couple hours before the doctor visits and gives the ok for Min Jae to go home. He tries to give Jonghyun instructions about what Min Jae can and can't do with the cast on and some other rules to follow, but Jonghyun is not comprehending with his lack of sleep. Kibum pulls Jonghyun over back to sit in his chair and takes care of getting all the information from the doctor and schedules his first checkup appointment.

 

The four leave the hospital heading for home. Ji Min asks to be dropped off on the way to spend the day with her friends since everyone at home is going to be sleeping anyway. Jonghyun only agrees if she gives him a big hug and kiss before going. She happily obliges. When they arrive home, Jonghyun carries Min Jae up to his bed and Kibum helps prop his leg up with extra pillows. While Jonghyun is tucking him in, Kibum runs to the car to bring up the crutches. By time he gets back to the room Min Jae is already fast asleep, Jonghyun is sitting next to his bed quietly watching him sleep. Kibum pats Jonghyun's shoulder and tells him he should get some sleep too. Jonghyun nods, gets up and places a soft kiss on Min Jae's forehead and follows Kibum out of the room.

 

Once in Jonghyun's bedroom, Kibum quickly walks to the dresser to get pajamas for Jonghyun. He asks what Jonghyun wants to sleep in but doesn't get an answer, instead Jonghyun quietly wraps his arms around Kibum's waist and rests his chin on his shoulder. Kibum looks to the mirror in front of him to see Jonghyun looking right back at him. He blushes lightly and looks back down to the clothing drawer, ruffling through the clothes as if he were looking for something specific. Jonghyun says “thank you”. Kibum continues to avoid looking back to the mirror and simply asks “for what?” Jonghyun answers “for everything....everything you've done for me and the kids. No one has ever taken care of me the way that you do...thank you.” Kibum shyly responds that he doesn't need to thank him, that he only did what any friend would do. They don't speak for a few minutes, just continue to stand together as if both looking for what to say next. Jonghyun speaks first “Kibum, I think we left friendship behind us a long time ago don't you?”

 

Kibum pats Jonghyun's hand that is still wrapped around his waist and tells Jonghyun that he hasn't slept and he's probably not thinking clearly right now. Kibum picks out some pajamas and closes the drawer, pulling himself away laying out the pajamas on the bed. When he turns around he is startled by how close Jonghyun is, he wants to step backwards but the bed is right behind him so he looks away trying to avoid eye contact. Jonghyun places his hands on Kibum's face so he can't look away. Tears are prickling Kibum's eyes because he doesn't trust what's happening right now, his heart is racing but his mind is telling him that it isn't real. Jonghyun looks deeply into Kibum's eyes, he doesn't say anything just slowly leans in closer and closer until their lips are mere centimeters apart. Kibum says “ you can't take this back you know”. Jonghyun smiles responding that he has no intention of taking it back, he leans forward closing the small gap between them. Kibum's lips are as soft as he remembers. Kibum lays back on the bed behind him pulling Jonghyun with him, holding him tightly like he never wanted to let him go. Their kisses going from soft and short to long and deep.

 

A few minutes into their make-out session they are interrupted by Min Jae calling for his dad to bring him a glass of water. Jonghyun sighs and calls back that he'll be right there. He goes to get up, but Kibum pushes him back down saying he'll go and tells Jonghyun to get his pajamas on. Jonghyun chuckles and responds with a “yes dear”. Kibum leaves the bedroom, closing the door behind him. He stands there for a minute trying to calm his racing heart. He brings Min Jae a glass of water and makes sure he's comfortable before going back to Jonghyun's bedroom.

 

He walks back into the bedroom quietly and sees Jonghyun under the covers, he walks closer and it looks like he's fast asleep. He stands there for a minute watching him sleep. Kibum bites his lip, he's trying to decide on whether he should climb into bed as well, or should he go lay on the couch instead or maybe he should go home. He decides for sure that he should probably stop standing there staring at least, he goes to leave the room but is stopped by Jonghyun's soft voice “will you stay?” Kibum turns around to see Jonghyun's eyes half open with a gentle smile on his face. Kibum doesn't answer, just stands there as if he was still trying to decide. Jonghyun says “Kibum?” Kibum fidgets and responds that he doesn't know. Jonghyun holds out hand motioning for Kibum to come closer. Kibum walks closer taking Jonghyun's hand in his. Jonghyun quickly pulls him down to the bed and with a smile leans in to whisper in his ear “I'll be the big spoon if you want.” Kibum pushes Jonghyun back and berates him for being such a dork and then proudly declares that Jonghyun is the little spoon. Jonghyun laughs and rolls to his side making room for Kibum to lay next to him. Kibum wraps him arm around Jonghyun's waist and placing a soft kiss on the back of his neck. Kibum comments that Jonghyun is shorter so he has to be the little spoon. Jonghyun turns his head to try argue but Kibum quickly cuts him off demanding “eyes forward little spoon! go to sleep.” Jonghyun does as he's told and quickly drifts off to sleep.

 

When Jonghyun awakes he finds he is in bed alone. He gets up and goes to Min Jae's room first but he's not there. He walks downstairs and hears the familiar voices coming from the kitchen. He heads towards the kitchen and stands in the doorway watching Kibum and the kids hanging around the island laughing and mixing up some concoction, making a bit of a mess. Jonghyun speaks up asking what's going on his kitchen in a very serious voice. It doesn't work though, they just laugh that they're making cookies. He responds that it just looks like they're making a mess and comes closer to inspect and taste the batter. He nods and says that it tastes good. He look over both children and asks how they are feeling. Min Jae says he feels ok but the cast itches and Ji Min says that she feels great! He asks Kibum next, he just smiles and responds that's he feels great too. Min Jae excitedly shows off how good he is with his crutches.

 

After the cookies are done baking, they have a few and save the rest for later. They decide to order in pizza and just laze around the rest of the day watching movies. Jonghyun notices Kibum is still wearing his clothes from yesterday, he tells him to go take a nice bath and he can wear whatever he wants from Jonghyun's closet. Kibum jokes that he might just come back wearing his tuxedo.

 

As Jonghyun and the kids gather blankets and movies to watch, Jonghyun asks the kids how they feel about switching their family supper nights to Wednesdays since their busy social lives are getting in the way of spending Fridays together. Min Jae agrees and mocks his father that he should probably get a social life too. The kids huddle up on the couch starting the movie as Jonghyun goes upstairs to check on Kibum. He goes through his drawers to find some cozy sweat pants and t-shirt for Kibum to wear. He knocks gently on the bathroom door asking if he can come in, Kibum says yes. Kibum is laying in the tub with his eyes closed, completely covered in vanilla scented bubbles. Jonghyun places the clean clothes on the counter and kneels down next to the tub to place a little kiss on Kibum's cheek. Kibum smiles, slowly opens his eyes and leans over to kiss Jonghyun on the lips, it's short but sweet. They smile gently towards each other and Jonghyun tells Kibum family dinner is moving to Wednesdays and asks if Kibum wants to come for dinner. Kibum agrees and Jonghyun tells him he wants to tell the kids about them over supper, but only if Kibum wants to. Jonghyun stutters a bit as he realizes that maybe he shouldn't assume that Kibum would be ready but Kibum quickly notices Jonghyun's panic and assures him that it sounds like a great idea. Jonghyun smiles relieved that Kibum agrees, but his smile falters when Kibum's expression changes to one of worry. Kibum asks him if he thinks the kids will be okay with them being together, maybe they won't approve. Jonghyun smiles brightly and assures Kibum that the children already love him of course they'll approve. Kibum smiles back but is still worried what will happen if they don't.