Chapter 10

Meant To Be

Kibum receives a call from his blind date Hee Wook the following Thursday. He asks Kibum out Friday night for dinner and drinks. Kibum hesitates because he'll miss family supper night but he reminds himself that he made a promise to try to focus on his own life more and agrees. He sends a text to Jonghyun to let him know that he won't be able to come tomorrow. Jonghyun responds asking why and Kibum replies that he has a date. He fantasizes for a moment that maybe Jonghyun will ask him not to go and profess his undying love. He laughs at his little fantasy and stares as his phone waiting for the response. It takes longer than it should, he wonders if Jonghyun is surprised and wonders what he feels right now. But those thoughts disappear when the response does come saying “that's great! If you're free Saturday come on over and you can tell me all about it!”. He frowns at the message but pushes his feelings aside and responds that he'll see him Saturday with a smiley face.

 

Hee Wook is quite handsome and seems very nice. Their supper is mostly him talking and Kibum listening. Kibum of course is not usually so quiet, but every time he thinks of something to talk about it usually connects to Jonghyun and the kids and he realizes it's probably for the best if he doesn't bring them up. They go out for drinks and dancing afterwards, this was probably Kibum's favorite part of the date as he hadn't been out dancing for so long and missed it. Hee Wook is a little too friendly on the dance floor but at least he seems to pick up when Kibum tries to put more distance between them. The rest of the night he is a perfect gentleman, he takes Kibum home and walks him to his door. It's only their first date so no kiss. Kibum enters his apartment, he throws off his shoes and lays down on the couch. He realizes that he feels mostly relief now that the date is over. He think that he probably won't go on a second date. He doesn't feel any connection with Hee Wook. In the past when meeting someone new, there would be excitement to see them again, wanting to learn more about them and waiting for their call, but this time he just kinda hoped the he wouldn't call.

 

The next day he went to hang out with Jonghyun, for some reason Jonghyun decided they should go play pool though neither of them are very good at it and barely know the rules. But it was one of those places you don't usually take children and since the kids were spending time with friends that day, Jonghyun takes the opportunity to do more adult activities whenever he can. As they played pool poorly, they aimlessly rambled about their weeks and the little thing happened since they last seen each other. It takes a awhile, but Jonghyun eventually does ask Kibum about his date. Kibum responds that it was ok, nothing fantastic about it. Jonghyun responds that it was only the first date, how fantastic could it really be? Kibum retorts that Jonghyun doesn't really have a leg to stand on since all his dates are usually one date and then meet the kids. Jonghyun chuckles responding that Kibum is probably right. He then offers Kibum a deal, if Kibum goes on a 2nd date with this guy then Jonghyun will also go on a 2nd date with his last match-up. Kibum agreeds to it but then suggests that it should be a double date. Jonghyun asks why and Kibum responds simply that it'll be fun because he's never gone on a double date. Jonghyun agrees, then they pick out where to go and when.