The Real Story ,

The Last Song

It was weekend . Sung Kyu was doing his homework . He's alone at home that day . Youngwoon ? He doesn't know where did his hyung go . He left the house early in the morning , leaving only a piece of note telling him that his brekfast was ready and to cook the lunch if he doesn't come home by noon . "Ahhh . Finally . My homework is done . Now , let's go watch some tv ." he said to himself. He stretches hi body and tidy up his stdy desk and walked to the living room . He turns on the tv . He took the remote controll and changed the channel to SBS . Encore of My Girlfriend is a Gumiho was playing . "Better than nothing. " He mumbled. He stood and walked to the kitchen and grab some snack. "Uhukk uhuuk uhuukkk !" he covers his mouth. When he put down his hands, there was blood. He sighed. Without a word, he went to the kitchen again and washed his hands. He sat on the living room,and flashback the time when he went to see a doctor, a month ago.

.................................................................................................

M Hospital , a month ago .

He enters the hospital lobby , There were many people in the lobby . He walks to the counter and register himself for check up . He already made an appoinment with the doctor . After finishing the registeration , he sat down on a chair and waited for his turn . There was a woman beside him , holding a girl . The girl looks so thin and tired. The ahjumma looked at him and bowed . He bowed back . His heart was eager to know what is the girl's disease . She looked so weak . "Ah madam  . Annyeong hasehyo ." he greeted the woman . "Ah, annyeong hasehyo." she replied with a smile . 

"Is this your child ?" Sung Kyu asked. The woman nodded.

"She's so cute. Annyeong. I'm Sung Kyu. What's your name?" he asked the little girl.

"Annyeong. I'm Sun Ji." the little girl replied . He looked again at the woman . She just smiled .

"How old are you Sun Ji?" 

"I'm 7 years old . You ?"

"I'm 18."

"So, i have to call you oppa. Right?" she asked Sung Kyu. Sung Kyu nodded.

"Oppa, you're so handsome. You have very little eyes. " the girl praised him. Her mother and Sung Kyu giggled.

"I'm handsome ?" Sung Kyu asked back. The girl nodded and smiled.

"You're cute too Sun Ji. You have very red cheeks you know?" He pinched Sun Ji's cheel slowly. It's true. Her cheeks were red, like roses. 

"Thank you oppa." she smiled. Sung Kyu lift his head and have a talk with her mother.

"Madam, you have a very cute child." Sung Kyu praised.

"Thank you Sung Kyu." she smiled. The woman was very generous with smile. 

"May I ask?" The woman nodded and replied "Go ahead."

"What is your daughter sickness?" Sung Kyu stuttered a bit. He's afraid he might offend the woman.

He was wrong. She smiled instead. "My daughter has leukemia." Sung Kyu was taken aback a bit. How could a small adorable girl like her, diagnosed with leukemia? He thought. "How long has it been?" he asked. "Hmm. It's been almost 2 years." she said calmly. Sung Kyu nodded. He looked at Sun Ji. He felt pity for her. 

"I'm sorry, madam." he said in a low voice.

"It's okay. Sun Ji is a strong girl you know? Her disease has never been a reason for her to act like other normal kid. Although, he gets tired really quick." The woman explained.

"Oppa, you know? During last exam, i scored A in all the subject." Sun Ji told him. Sung Kyu smiled and pinched her cheeks slowly.

"Waaa. That's good Sun Ji. You have to study hard. Let your mum be proud of you. Okay?" 

"Okay oppa. When I grow up, i want to be a doctor. I want to treat my mum if she's sick so she doesn't have to go to the hospital. I want to treat those who have disease like me too." Sun Ji told him. Sung Kyu looked at her mother. Tears of happiness and sadness , both were in her eyes. She tried to hold it so Sun Ji wouldn't see her crying. Sung Kyu can see that. He was touched by the girl's words.

"If you want to be one, Sun Ji, you have to study hard and stay strong for your mum. Okay?" Sung Kyu told Sun Ji. He hold the girl's hand. Sun Ji nodded happily.

"I will oppa ! And i also want to treat oppa. Oppa is so kind and sweet." Sun Ji replied. Then, a nurse called Sun Ji's name. 

"Ahh oppa. I have to go. The doctor wants to see me. Byebye oppa ! I will see you again !" Sun Ji waved her hand. 

"Ahh, Sun Ji. Wait ! Here. For you. For being a good girl." Sung Kyu gave his teddy bear keychain. Sun Ji was so delighted.

"Thank you oppa. I love this teddy. I will keep this. Thank you." Sun Ji runs to Sung Kyu and hugs him. She than ran back to her mother. He mother gave a thank you look to him and they entered the doctor's room.

Soon , his name was called. He walked towards the doctor's room. The second room.

"Ah, annyeong hasehyo doctor Jung." he greeted the doctor and bows.

"Annyeong hasehyo. Kim Sung Kyu. Here.  Have a sit." The doctor greeted him back with a smile .

"So, how's the result doctor?" Sung Kyu asked.

"Yes. That. We already have the result. I need you to be patient with this." Dr. Jung sighed. Sung Kyu's heart beats fastly.

"From the diagnosis test that we've done, you are confirmed to have Lung Cancer." Dr. Jung explained.

Suddenly, Sung Kyu felt the world was tearing apart from him. He was taken aback and speechless. "But how? I didn't smoke." Sung Kyu was shocked. He can't believe it.

"I know you didn't smoke but you might have been exposed to the surrounding. This case, we call you a passive smokers. You are not smoking but you might have been around people who's smoking. And passive smokers tend to have risk by 75% than an active smoker to get lung cancer. This happens because the passive smokers are more exposed to the smoke than the smoker himself........" as Dr. Jung continued explaining, Sung Kyu was in silence and shocked. The Hottest. Yeahh. The club is full of smokers. Yeahh. Maybe that. He thought.

"So,doctor, is there any ways i can cure my disease?" Sung Kyu asked.

"Well, there is but for 100% cure, there is no guarantee." Dr. Jung explained.

"What are the ways?" 

"There are palliative care, surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. But all this treatment can be very high in cost."

Sung Kyu was puzzled. He don't know what to do. He and his hyung were already working hard for their living and now, this?

"Thank you doctor. Is there anything else?" Sung Kyu asked.

"Hmm. No. Nothing else. But, Sung Kyu, i do hope you're strong. Lung cancer can be treated but like i said, there's no 100% guarantee of cure." Dr. Jung patted his shoulder.

"It's okay doctor. I'll find a way." Sung Kyu stood.

"I think, it's better for you to talk to Youngwoo. You both could discuss a way for your treatment." Dr. Jung stood too. He walked towards Sung Kyu and hold his shoulder.

"Be strong Sung Kyu. I'll help you. I owe your father a lot. Now, it's my turn to repay his kindness." Dr. Jung said to him. Dr. Jung is his father's childhood friend. They've been through a lot. 

"Thank you doctor. I'll be heading home now. Thank you again." Sung Kyu bowed.

"It's okay Sung Kyu. If there's anything, feel free to give me a call or come see me. And for today's appoinment, there's no need for you to pay. Okay?" 

"Aishh. Don't be like that doctor." 

"It's okay Sung Kyu. Just assume this is a little help from me. Okay?" 

"Ahh. Thank you again doctor. Thank you so much. I don't know what can  i do to repay your kindness."

"No Sung Kyu. I'm the one who needs to repay your father's sacrifice and kindness towards me. Now, take care of yourself. And send my regards to Youngwoon too." 

"Alright doctor. See you soon. Thank you." he smiled to Dr. Jung and walked out of his room.

He looked around the lobby and couldn't find Sun Ji anywhere. Maybe she's gone home. Then he walked out of the hospital building.

 

...................................................................................

 

He holds his chest. He was still in disbelieve that he had a lung cancer. And, he never told Youngwoon. He never told Sungyeol. He never told Eun-hwa. He never told anyone. He doesn't want anyone to feel sympathy towards him. He doesn't want hsi brother became burdened with him. And that's why, he worked hard and saved a little by little. Youngwoon also gave him some money. He saved the money Youngwoon gave every month for his treatment cost. He suddenly remembered Sun Ji. The strong little girl. Despite her disease, he still manage to live her life like a normal kid. And everytime she remembered Sun Ji, a strength quickly grows in him, And the strength that makes him managed to live his life as usual. Suddenly, his cellphone rang. It was Sungyeol. 

Sung Kyu : Sungyeol. What's up?

Sungyeol : Nothing much. I'm bored.

Sung Kyu : Why? I thought Sungjong stayed at your place.

Sung Yeol : He is. But today, his mother took him out. Family outing i guess.

Sung Kyu : HAHAHA. Pity you. So, why did you call me ?

Sungyeol : I was bored. I thought of coming to your place.

Sung Kyu : That's cool. Youngwoon's not home too.

Sungyeol : Really? Where did he go?

Sung Kyu : I don't really know. Do you really wanna come?

Sungyeol : Yeahh. I'll be there in 20 minutes. Okay?

Sung Kyu : Okay. And, don't forget to bring some food. 

Sungyeol : Aishh. Okay okay. I will.

Sung Kyu : Great. Hahaha. See you then.

Sungyeol : Okay ! Bye. And, I have something to talk to you. 

 

Before Sung Kyu could answer him , Sungyeol hung up. "He sounds dead serious. What could it be?" Sung Kyu wondered.

 

.....................................................................................................

 

 

 

 

 

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................